Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
How can I make my fan kick in at a lower temp
Thanks chris
First and foremost..... the engine runs between 200 and 226 under "normal" circumstances. The system is designed to operate there and forcing the temperature much below 200F will not help you much.

Two options........

1) If you turn on the Air Conditioning or the Defroster, it will cause the compressor to run. This will, in turn, cause the cooling fan to run 100% of the time as soon as the Freon system comes up to pressure. This will keep the cooling system running on the thermostat. That will be about 200F.

2) Other than that, you will have to either have the computer reprogrammed with aftermarket tuning software by a professional or you will have to purchase a hand-held tuner to do it yourself. This will also get the system to stay on the thermostat at about 200F.

Option #1 is easy and free. It is also what most of the fleet does.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
209 Posts
Why not just get a programmer? I have Diablo sport u71-93 tuner. I uninstall GM tune & install a 87 octane tune. Do not run Horsepower tune when cruising. Fans come on sooner & cut off when desired temperature is reached. No cutting into wiring & works with current wiring & resistors. Yes I have Simple engineering fan. Have not had a problem with my SSR over heating. I also use the orange coolant & have bleed all the air out of cooling. My first trip to Fort St Down river cruise. Temperature was over 210 degrees. I went looking for a alternative since I have not been well? Accepted by car people here in Toledo Ohio. Found Diablo sport tuner at 4 wheel diversified in Maumee Ohio. I went to Telegraph Rd & Woodward Ave Dream cruise in Michigan with no over heating problem. Yes I do still run A/C with snowflake tuned on. Blowing cold air across my feet is the way to go. Minimal purchase of $200 & I can always go back to factory tune when I take my 2004 SSR for service. GM will not work on your SSR if wiring is altered

1 - 6 of 6 Posts