Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BLU SSR
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have done some searching and reading and could not find a direct P/N replacement for the Velcro that holds the spear to the headlight.
It seems that the best match in appearance is Scotch 3M Dual Lock and looking at the specs. on one site , SJ3560 / SJ3561 / SJ3562 series would work.
They list as good for outdoor use and excellent U.V. resistance. Only question is the adhesion to the surfaces as they state to avoid "low surface energy plastics i.e. polyethylene. So does that work for our stuff?? Also since thickness is probably an issue - the above #s are 1/4 inch thick. LOOKING FOR SOME EXPERT ADVICE !

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Boy replay you have done a lot of research. I got mine from a local body shop. I have one of Erik's spears that has been painted. It is fiberglass I believe.

IMO

Dave

·
BLU SSR
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boy replay you have done a lot of research. I got mine from a local body shop. I have one of Erik's spears that has been painted. It is fiberglass I believe.

IMO

Dave
Yep, spent a little time cause like you I asked a local body shop what would work. I cautioned them that it would take some stronger than regular Velcro and to look at the piece that was left on the headlight. Picked up the R and guess what -- drivers side is loose. They didn't argue and promised to fix it whenever I wanted to bring it in, but they didn't get it the first time so I will pick what is used next time!

·
Tech Support/Research
1,502 Posts
Polyethylene is a low-surface energy plastic because of its flexibility and slick finish. The manufacturer's statement is referring to those types of flexible plastics with slick or wax-like surfaces as ones to avoid. By contrast, hard, inflexible plastics like polycarbonate, acrylic or ABS are more suitable surfaces to accept pressure-sensitive adhesives used as the backing for these types of hook and loop fasteners. Note the manufacturer's advice about mixing and matching different densities of materials to achieve different strengths. Choose a pair that is compatible with being able to be disassembled without breaking the spear. There is no question that 3M Dual-Lock is great stuff but I have also used more readily available industrial grade "Velcro" with good success on a number of parts assembled that way. Some of those use a backing similar to 3M exterior molding tape for adhesion. As always, proper preparation of the surfaces is key to achieving a successful bond. All traces of dirt and old adhesive need to be removed from all surfaces prior to attachment.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Please let us know what the general agreement is. I may put my chrome spear back on if I decide to go to chrome for a while. I have a new spear so I too will need to have to put Velcro to match that on my vehicle.

Thanks.

Dave

·
SSR Believer
800 Posts
Thanks for the question @SSReplay. I'm also interested in the recommendations here as well. The spear on our R wasn't attached to either headlight when we bought it. There's residue on both headlights, but very little on the spear that I can see so it's been that way for a while I'd say. I've removed the spear a few times for various reasons but that's no longer necessary so I'd like to attach it properly.

I never take her through a car wash or anything like that but I'm still a little worried about the ends getting caught on something enough to crack or break one of the ends. Conversely, I'm also concerned about installing hook and loop/Velcro that's too strong and could damage the spear if it has to be removed one of these days. Guess I'm looking for the Goldilocks solution. ;)

TIA!

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
3M Dual Lock Tape with Modified Acrylic Adhesive SJ3871 is what is needed for the front spear and the windshield post trim. I got mine at Grainger but you can find it at most Auto Body/Paint supply stores or on Amazon. It comes in 1" and 2" wide. This tape has plastic hooks on both sides and not the fuzzy stuff on one side like the cheap Velcro. This is what GM used and it lasted 14 years on my SSR so I think Ill stick with what works.
Greg

·
SSR Believer
800 Posts
3M Dual Lock Tape with Modified Acrylic Adhesive SJ3871 is what is needed for the front spear and the windshield post trim. I got mine at Grainger but you can find it at most Auto Body/Paint supply stores or on Amazon. It comes in 1" and 2" wide. This tape has plastic hooks on both sides and not the fuzzy stuff on one side like the cheap Velcro. This is what GM used and it lasted 14 years on my SSR so I think Ill stick with what works.
Greg
Awesome, thanks Greg! Does the 1" size sound about right for the headlights? How about the windshield post trim? I want enough for the headlights as well as for the post trim when I replace our windshield next spring. How much would you guess I'd need?

found 8 strips for $ 3 free ship on ebay search for sj3871 3m dual lock
@sbubbaklein, I think I saw what you found the eBay but doesn't look like the product @Texasbaehr recommended on the 3M website. Maybe it'll work just as well though?

Where did you find a small amount of the tape? Most of the places on the internet want to sell you 45 yards or more!
@Stiles Sport Roadster, I found what Greg recommended here for $16.55/yd for the 1" size:

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
1” will work on both. I think I had to trim it to fit in the headlight recess.
There are other off brands out there that look the same but don’t bite! The adhesive on them is garbage worthy.
The adhesive on the 3M tape is the same as their trim tape which is the best.
Greg

·
BLU SSR
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First off --- THANKS GREG!!! I was hoping you would chime in with a suggestion. The number I was looking at was the clear - cause that was what the small piece that was left on my light was, I am going with the black that you suggest, not wanting to buck 14 years of success.
I will be in the St. Louis area in the next couple days so I will check around to see if I can find any at the usual suspects, if not will order from the internet.
For everyone else, be sure you are getting 3M brand and the right part #. The 1 inch wide is the closest to what you need, you will have to trim it to about 3/4 inch wide to fit the headlight.

·
SSR Believer
800 Posts
1” will work on both. I think I had to trim it to fit in the headlight recess.
There are other off brands out there that look the same but don’t bite! The adhesive on them is garbage worthy.
The adhesive on the 3M tape is the same as their trim tape which is the best.
Greg
@Dicktator's Windshield Trim Repair guide photos show about 18" of 3M Dual Lock Tape will be needed for the windshield pillars. So I think I'm going to order a couple of yards along with some 3M Adhesion Promoter. That should take care of the headlights as well as the windshield pillars.

Thanks again Greg. 🙏

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Hi Guys,
Just my 2 cents worth but the other product numbers that are in the messages are not the SJ3871 which has 400 barbs per inch where the other numbers that are listed have 250 barbs per inch. They will work as advertised but the SJ3871 is the one with the most grip.
All these numbers have the 250 barbs, SJ 3870, --SJ 3560, --SJ 3550.
The eight strips for three dollars doesn't say it SJ3871 when I looked it up, but maybe it a different seller.
I found this number below on the same page as the SJ 3871 on eBay
3M SJ4570 Dual Lock Low Profile Reclosable Fastener, 5/8" x 10 Feet. 4 times stronger than conventional hook & loop fasteners. Low profile, polyolefin fastener is half the thickness of standard Dual Lock reclosable fasteners and is self-mating. Designed to bond to metals, glass, many plastics and powder coated paints and medium to low surface energy materials. Self-adhesive back. 300 LSE adhesive and 705 pins per square inch.

·
SSR Believer
800 Posts
@Knightranger, thanks for catching that mistake in my post! (Can't edit it now of course :cautious:).

Per @Texasbaehr I ordered the 3M SJ3871 for that exact reason. (y) It's a bit spendy, but worth it. Here's the correct link:

BTW, I had ordered the wrong one from iTapeStore initially. Called them up and spoke to the owner Doug who happened to be working after hours. Very nice guy. He fixed my mistake and got me the correct stuff. Since it wasn't much more, I ended up ordering 3 yards to get free shipping. Should be here in a few days.

·
BLU SSR
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did it say how thick low profile is? Also 700 pins/inch would definitely be stronger, but I wonder if that would be too much to make removing the spear feasible without damage, it being Plastic and kind of fragile and all?

Hi Guys,
Just my 2 cents worth but the other product numbers that are in the messages are not the SJ3871 which has 400 barbs per inch where the other numbers that are listed have 250 barbs per inch. They will work as advertised but the SJ3871 is the one with the most grip.
The eight strips for three dollars doesn't say it SJ3871 when I looked it up, but maybe it a different seller.
3M SJ4570 Dual Lock Low Profile Reclosable Fastener, 5/8" x 10 Feet. 4 times stronger than conventional hook & loop fasteners. Low profile, polyolefin fastener is half the thickness of standard Dual Lock reclosable fasteners and is self-mating. Designed to bond to metals, glass, many plastics and powder coated paints and medium to low surface energy materials. Self-adhesive back. 300 LSE adhesive and 705 pins per square inch.
Hi Guys,

·
SSR Believer
800 Posts
Did it say how thick low profile is? Also 700 pins/inch would definitely be stronger, but I wonder if that would be too much to make removing the spear feasible without damage, it being Plastic and kind of fragile and all?
My thoughts as well... that one might just be too strong. Would hate to break the spear or the windshield pillar covers.

·
BLU SSR
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My trip to the St. Louis area was put off till next week so checked all the local big box stores and local auto paint supply stores and auto supply stores - no joy - so I guess it's the old internet order tomorrow for 3M SJ 3871.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
It is hard to find! I found some at a local Auto Paint Supply store where I get my paint supplies but when I redid my windshield pillars I went back and they didn't carry it anymore. I ordered it on Amazon, got it in two days. If you do the post covers make sure you clean everything real good and remove the old adhesive then wipe down with alcohol before applying the new stuff. Mine were real cruddy underneath. BTW the tape with 250 barbs the Knightranger mentioned will work fine also, it is plenty strong enough for the job and will release a bit easier but, it is even harder to find!
The plastic christmas tree pins that hold the top and bottom of the pillar covers in place will probably break when you try to remove them and they are an odd size and also difficult to find. I drilled out the holes with a 1/4" bit, touched up with paint and then used a commonly available 1/4" push fastener you can find at any parts store.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts