Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up for anyone that expects to keep there SSR for a while.

Last night I was under my 2003 SSR looking about and much to my amazement

there was a large amount of rust on the inside of my frame, at the weld point.

The visual from the outside was OK but on the back the rust :mad was very heavy.

Note my SSR has 14,000 miles on it and it is 2 years old.

Hope this helps

Scott Doran.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Years ago I had a chevy Luv pickup and it rusted away but I kept rebuilding it because it ran so well. I painted the heck out of the bumpers with all kinds of cool graphics and stuff and kept using bondo and fiberglass to replaced the rusted areas. We have come a long way in automotive finishes. I hope this does not lead to memories from my old truck. I love this SSR more than anything I have ever driven. :seeya

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had a 1974 Chevy C10 short-bed that I did the same thing too (except I never painted the bumpers!). The rusting actually started when it was about 4 years old. I bought it when it was one year old and it was in perfect condition at that time. I own/owned many Chevy's since then and have no complaints about rust.

Vehicles just don't rust like that anymore... I can't imagine that the SSR will.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Conside Rust Check or other such product

My son lives in Toronto and has recently acquired a new 04 Black SSr. One of our friends there has a marvelous body shop called 427 Automotive. It was #1 in North America rated a year or so ago. We noticed that most of the folks there have their vehicles treated with a product called Rust Check. Unlike conventional oil, tar and wax-based products, Rust Check is more like automatic transmission fluid such that it creeps into all hidden rust prone areas including doors, fenders, pillars, frame members, engine compartments and cavernous undercarriage areas where the Rusties love to hide out.. While Rust Check will not repair damage already done to older vehicles, it will inhibit the progression of rust in problem areas. I have had our 2002 Lightning sprayed each fall (twice since new) and can tell you that Rust Check preserves wiring connections, electronic components and creates a less hostile environment for mechanics as nuts/bolts come off easier and seems to kept creeks and rattles to a minimum.
Son Steve had the full 3M film done on the front and the SSr Rust Check sprayed within 6 hours of taking delivery last week. Perhaps others might find it prudent to apply similar treatments to their trucks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Comedians, you gotta love e'm

Making fun of my baby?

Just kidding around guys and gals.

Not only do you fellow fanatics deserve an up date on my rust problem, you also

deserve further explanation for my unfortunate perdicament.

One would have to be just a bit nuts to subject such a cool :cool car to salt snow s

sand blasts and did I mention salt. As most can tell from my location, ( Canada )

we tend to see snow. ( No kidding ) If my SSR was not exposed to the harsh

saline enviroment there would be no rust.

The important history of #201 SSR is this.

#210 was an early launch vehicle for G.M. Canada.
She was involved in the show circuit
And the worst part is she was last driven (prior to my purchase) March 13 2004

The records from GM verify this and the floor mats confirm salt was part of my cars

history. I was told this before purchasing and entered the deal with my eyes

wide open.

I wanted to clairify the rust thing as so not to discourage any future purchasers.

TO STOP RUST DON'T DRIVE YOU SSR IN SALT. The reason I agreed to purchase a salt car was $$$$$$$$$ got a great deal, it

is as simple as that. :thumbs

The only downside to SSR ownership the $75,000.00 (Can.) price tag.

True exclusivity has its price but a little salt and a few miles allowed me to join

your club. Was my SSR purchase the best one I've made? Probably not, but I

would not change a thing. Never have I had more fun in a vehicle, never!!!!!

Scott Doran :) Happy :) Happy :) Happy #201

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The frame is cut and welded back together to get the SSR wheelbase. There is no strength issue, but the corrosion protection is not as good as the original e-coat. I drove mine in the salt of Michigan before I bought it. The dealer took care of the rust last summer (it was visible from the outside). I will not be driving it in the salt this year.

R

·
0 Posts
There are several rust protection applications out there, would that help? What about the salt air in coastal areas, is that different from salt used on the roads in the winter?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sea salt not as bad

I started this thread and I also have experience in both saline enviroments

Eastern road salt is many times worse than salt from the ocean.

I reside in Ontario ( salt capital of the world ) and also have a home on Vancouver

Island. My island home is surrounded by the Pacific. Both of the vehicles on the

are 10 years plus and have no rust.

All of my Ontario cars have rust, and are 1 & 2 years old.

Hope this helps.

Scott Doran #201 Redline Red

·
Registered
341 Posts
Seasalt on Vancouverisland ??? . This is not a problem here , yes we live near the ocean but so do people in Sanfransico. here in there are so many old cars in mint condition and not rust buckets that have been patched many times , in a drive thru the city you will notice 64-70 mustangs ,many of them and you would still think these things were being sold daily.old chevelles ,cougars camaros . The salt air does not seem to affect them ,maybe only if you lived within a 100 yards of the ocean and your car was in contact with salt spray when we get the ocasional storm .I have allways lived with in amile of the ocean and never hadarusty car

Ps . Scott when you move here you can trade in the snow blower for a year round lawn mower ( Just a west versus east dig ) Your ssr will last a good long time here

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Snow Blower doesn't have rust

My SSR will be moving to Vancouver Island soon to join the other rust free cars we have out there. As for my snow blower it has no rust but it will get a work out.
I have just returned from a ski trip to 12" of snow. :cuss :mad Needless to say the blower got the workout not my SSR. To say that I am envious of your year round SSR driving is absolute, but when I get there it wil make it that much sweeter. I purchased this truck with year round driving on the island in mind. See you soon. :thumbs
Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts