Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

My name is David and this is my first post. I just got an 03 Red SSR. I am sure I will be asking lots of questions so I do the right thing. So here goes my first. I want to get an exhaust system but cant seem to decide between Corsa and Magnaflow. Anyone have any opinions? any pros or cons?
Thanks and see ya on the road.

C

·
0 Posts
Was on the Magnaflow site last night after reading the post. Nice how they have little videos for each vehicle with the exhaust on it. MAN ... the SSR sure growls with that Magnaflow on it !!! I think I'd jump on one. Now ... just need to blood bank and give them about $700 worth of my O- to buy it :-( ha ha ha

Definately on the list of things to do ....... since she's only 4 days old still

·
Registered
349 Posts
Magnaflow Cat-back System

Call Larry Pacini at SBD Muffler in Costa Mesa, CA at 949-760-5070. He got mine shipped directly to me (I'll receive it this Friday or maybe Monday) for $387.55 + $66.55 shipping, for a total of $454.10. This is the same part number, the same cat-back system. He buys in quantity, hence, the low price. :)

C

·
0 Posts
ooooooooooooo .....
very very nice
now I've got some serious thinking to do :rolleyes:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a Magnaflow and love it, I paid less then $500.00 for it delivered to my door.
There are many different distrubtors the list aon this forum that you may buy from.

The sound is 100% better then stock :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Peaches, That's a Great Price!

That $387.55 price is by far the best price I've seen for the Magnaflow SSR cat-back exhaust system. Is it the Magnaflow Part #15843? Pls. let us know when you get yours, how much work it takes to install, and how it sounds. I called JEGS about this system, they too buy in very large quantities, and price is $831.99 plus a standard $7.95 processing fee with free shipping. Normally JEGS is very competitive in pricing but that SBD price is almost half (including shipping) of JEGS price. Am I correct that this $387.55 price plus UPS cost is available to everyone?

·
Registered
349 Posts

I just received it at work today, but I can't put it on until Wednesday morning. Yes, it is the #15843 system as advertised. I peaked in the box, and everything looks okay.

Obviously, there's a big markup on aftermarket add-ons that many people buy on emotion instead of using good shopping sense.

I'll let you know how the installation works out. I'm taking it to a mechanic that has a lift, just so I can get it done quickly. It looks like it would be an easy 2 hour install otherwise. :thumbs

·
Registered
349 Posts

We just installed my Magnaflow system with the welcome help of some top-notch people at R and R Automotive here in Flagstaff. This is not as easy an installation as I first thought. Geting the old system off was easy enough, but lining up all the pieces properly (so the rear bumper exit points looked the same) proved to be somewhat difficult. I'm glad we had use of the lift! Also, the left side tailpipe uses a different mount than the factory point because it's routed somewhat differently (better because of two fewer bends?). The rubber mount and bracket are not nearly as beefy as the factory mounting, but it's probably adequate. The tips are much larger than factory, so it's very important to have them centered exactly or they look bad. We fiddled around with this for 30 minutes before getting them acceptable.

The sound is great! It's not any louder at idle or any low RPM's, but has a mellow, throaty sound when you want it (when you get on it). I recommend this system because it definitely sounds better to me. I know this is a personal thing, but I think it's an improvement. :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Magnaflow

I just received my Magnaflow catback system yesterday and will be installing it on Sat. I will measure my 0-60 time again after work today and then I will measure it after the installation. I'm not expecting a big gain here, but any gain will be pleasant. I will post the results next week.

Edit:
I measured my time last night.... 0-60 in 6.7 seconds, low average (that's 0.2 seconds slower than 6 months ago).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Magnaflow Performance gains

Don't forget that your performance improvements will not be readily apparent because the computer has to "learn" your new system with its different characteristics. Does anybody know how long this takes?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Magnaflow Pricing

Bad news on Magnaflow pricing. I just got a follow-up call from Larry at SBD Muffler where I purchased my system, to make sure I got it installed and that I was happy with everything.

Magnaflow had a huge price increase in August, based on the ever escalating price of stainless steel. The whole industry is experiencing this. He said I got my system for the old pricing just before the increase. Also, Magnaflow apparently has made some subtle changes to their system (including the muffler, too), even though it sells under the same part number. The new list is $915, but Larry will sell it to anyone from this forum for $595 plus shipping. At this rate, he will make about $45 on each one he sells. (He'll tell you the shipping cost ahead of time.)

I really don't know this guy except from talking to him on the phone 3 times. But I feel he is being honest about the pricing, and he sure came through for me, a total stranger. You can call him at 949-760-5070 (he's in Costa Mesa, CA) and draw your own conclusions. :)

C

·
0 Posts
OUCH !!!!!
Does that come with any Stock Options ??? ;-)

I'd probably still suck it up and do it ... ain't no sound prettier than a V8 with custom exhaust

Can I get an Amen

·
Registered
52 Posts
One more day until the install of Long Tube Headers and high flow cats. I'll see how the exhaust sounds after this and then maybe a cat back system.
:)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Magnaflow installed

Had the new catback system installed Sat. It sounds great, but I didn't get to listen to it for very long. I immediately went out and tried 0-60mph times just to see what happens right out of the box. I saw no difference in times. After a couple of runs I got out and looked at the tail pipes and one of the pipes had shifted up against the bumper. Of course you know what that means...I had some paint melted off the bumper. So my SSR is back at the shop to get the pipes fixed. I still haven't decided what to do about the melted paint (since I had my girlfriends brother, who is a mechanic, install it, it would make it kind of messy to make him pay to fix it). Since I have so many other rock chips and dings in the paint (My SSR also got hit by a golf ball Sat morning), I guess I'm not that upset by it. I do think I need to do something so that the remaining paint won't peel if water gets behind it. Any cheap solutions?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I wouldn't expect a problem with water. Not like bare metal. I wonder what a shop would charge to cover the damage with a squirt of raceline red. No cleanup, no buffing. Just make it red.

Otherwise a bit of Krylon, clear, primer, or the nearest match to raceline red. That's cheap!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
red.....

Thanks for the reply.
Red you say? I could paint the rear red and have it fade into the black front :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts