Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my SSR lacks under the dash lighting. I would have thought that the SSRs should include under the dash lighting for it is very dark in the footwell area. Is there any one that sells them and what is the best way to installing them? What lead(s) should the lights be connected to...?

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Lights

Marc;

One of the first things that I installed were courtesy lights under the dash.

You can not buy the lights from GM because they are part of the wiring harness and are not sold as a separate item. I got my from a salvage yard from a 1994 and a 1998 Sonama pickup truck.

The power comes from attaching to the supply wire that feeds the mirror lights. This way they function in unison. The connection is best made behind the kick panel in front of the passenger side door. I think the wire is grey with a black strip.( you better check the wiring diagram or you can use a tester).

Lights install using existing screws under the dash.

Makes a big difference on the interior look.

:) :) :) :)

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Small things can have big results!

HI Diamond Jim,

I am glad I am not the only one that noticed how dark it was entering the SSR at night time. I am happy to hear it made a BIG difference to the interior for you.

Thanks for the tip.
:thumbs

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
"Slipping into Darkness"

SSR290 said:
Marc;

One of the first things that I installed were courtesy lights under the dash.

You can not buy the lights from GM because they are part of the wiring harness and are not sold as a separate item. I got my from a salvage yard from a 1994 and a 1998 Sonama pickup truck.

The power comes from attaching to the supply wire that feeds the mirror lights. This way they function in unison. The connection is best made behind the kick panel in front of the passenger side door. I think the wire is grey with a black strip.( you better check the wiring diagram or you can use a tester).

Lights install using existing screws under the dash.

Makes a big difference on the interior look.

:) :) :) :)
Thanks for the info...:thumbs
Going to add this to my SSR.:cool

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lights by Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim, you are a STUD!

Thanks for your great suggestion. You provided a real, practical solution for a problem all SSR fanatics are having to deal with.

( I should have said, "All of us who actually DRIVE their SSR's..." - I can't BELIEVE how many SSR owners leave their little beauties in the garage, and take them out for a spin on Sundays, if the weather is nice! Not me, baby! I am driving the TIRES off my red bullet! I've had it 3 1/2 months and it's got 8,566 pure pleasure miles on it. I'm so addicted.)

Sorry, got carried away... had to rant... anyway, I've got a master mechanic from the local Chevy mega-dealer living next door, and he LOVES the SSR. He's gonna get to read your post while I beat feet down to the "pick-a-part" wrecking yard on a dash light hunt.
Cheers
Randy :flag

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New Under the dash lighting?

Great to hear Wildcat,

Might be easier then going thru a junk yard? ... anyone else know where you can get new ones too?

Good luck hunting...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an led interior light kit from amazon. it was 50 bucks. comes with four 12 inch rgb strips. i put them under the front seats facing forward, and behind the rear seats facing down. The best thing is this kit does seven different colors, fades, and flashes, and has a music mode. Also, it has one extra wire you hook up to the interior lights in the passenger kick panel. so when youj open the door, no matter what mode they are in, or even if they are turned off, they light up white, and fade off with the rearview mirror. Took less than 1 hour to install.

·
Premium Member
9,920 Posts
I have an led interior light kit from amazon. it was 50 bucks. comes with four 12 inch rgb strips. i put them under the front seats facing forward, and behind the rear seats facing down. The best thing is this kit does seven different colors, fades, and flashes, and has a music mode. Also, it has one extra wire you hook up to the interior lights in the passenger kick panel. so when youj open the door, no matter what mode they are in, or even if they are turned off, they light up white, and fade off with the rearview mirror. Took less than 1 hour to install.
great idea thxs for sharing :liebe011:

·
BAD BOW TIE
9,009 Posts
Diamond Jim, you are a STUD!

Thanks for your great suggestion. You provided a real, practical solution for a problem all SSR fanatics are having to deal with.

( I should have said, "All of us who actually DRIVE their SSR's..." - I can't BELIEVE how many SSR owners leave their little beauties in the garage, and take them out for a spin on Sundays, if the weather is nice! Not me, baby! I am driving the TIRES off my red bullet! I've had it 3 1/2 months and it's got 8,566 pure pleasure miles on it. I'm so addicted.)

Sorry, got carried away... had to rant... anyway, I've got a master mechanic from the local Chevy mega-dealer living next door, and he LOVES the SSR. He's gonna get to read your post while I beat feet down to the "pick-a-part" wrecking yard on a dash light hunt.
Cheers
Randy :flag
Some of us can't drive because we have snow, ice, road salt, can't get out our driveway and can't get out of the sub division and oh yah it's -8 below. Not like California. Just kidding but had to rant back. Ha! Ha! Our turn is coming.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,776 Posts
I bought 6 inch LED strips at Advance Auto, I got white, Ed Borland bought blue because he has Pacific Blue 06. Like, $12.00 bucks.

Peal off backing stick to kick plate, wire to mirror i.e. courtesy light on passengers side behind kick plate.

Done, come on when open door, "fade to off" in 20/30 seconds when you close door.

Go to Tech Discussions/SSR How To Library under Accent lights, step by step instructions.

Here is link:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3ef39d9f5adce5e5&id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853

Dicktator

Attachments

·
SSR and Lovin It !
1,675 Posts
Glad I read this post. I didn't want to sound like an idiot about the lights. I was looking everywhere thinking there was a bulb burnt out somewhere.
Think I will get some LED lights for it.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Here's an EASY fix. I purchased these on EBay for around $7.00- 5 LED lights. They take 3 AAA batteries. I used two of them under the feet area. They have double sided tape. Work great all you do is push on them and they go on- push off. And I installed one in the trunk area. I'm giving the other 2 away to an SSR buddy here in town.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here's an EASY fix. I purchased these on EBay for around $7.00- 5 LED lights. They take 3 AAA batteries. I used two of them under the feet area. They have double sided tape. Work great all you do is push on them and they go on- push off. And I installed one in the trunk area. I'm giving the other 2 away to an SSR buddy here in town.
Well, if your going to do the push on push off lights, picture #3 in Dicktator's post has a blue framed light laying on the floor pan. It's free at Harbor Freight with a coupon! Just say'n! I stuck one on the bed cover in my 1SS truck.

I like the idea of wired LED's that fade with the mirror lights! Very cool!

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I installed blue LED's on the kick panels and under the door panel to light up the area you are about to step on. All automatic - works from the courtesy light feed.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts