Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read in the MotorWeek review of the SSR that they found a fair amount of cowl shake present in the SSR. Yesterday I finally was able to get an SSR out for a test drive. I drove down some fairly smooth roads but the SSR I was driving had a LOT of cowl shake going on.

Is this just part of the SSR experience? I was thrilled to be test driving one, but I left the test drive with a sinking feeling that if all SSRs do this, the SSR will not be in my driveway any time soon. The dealership has purchased one SSR and purposed it only for test drives. This SSR has some aftermarket wheels on it. I can't believe the wheels were that out of balance, plus I did not feel the shaking only in the steering wheel. I could place my hand just about anywhere inside of the SSR (as far as I can safely reach while driving) and I could definitely feel the pulsation of the cowl shake.

Of course, the sales person on the test drive tried to dismiss the issue as normal and then later as possibly the aftermarket rims/tires.

I'm trying to build a case for the purchase of the SSR, but this one issue is enough to turn me off of the SSR.

Please enlighten me, what am I missing?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
:confused Your experience sounds very unusual. I get minimal cowl shake, and I have autocrossed mine! Prob. has to do with the aftermarket rims. Also, lets hope they did not try to lower it and mess with the front end alignment which is specific to the vehicle.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'll have to find another dealership with a SSR that can be test driven to confirm it's the aftermarket wheels.

I was just so thrilled to be driving one to have that issue present was a real downer.

This dealership has eight SSRs on the lot, but they will not let you drive any of them except this one. To limit the miles placed on the other SSRs (which I can understand to a point).

R

·
0 Posts
The dealership where I got mine would only let you test drive after completing a credit app and even then were reluctant. Guess I can see why. Who would want to buy a new SSR with several hundred miles on it from all the people who would never buy one test driving it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I live in the washington, DC area. We have some of the worse roads. I have also driven over roads that are all brick and I have not notice what they were talking about. I fell a little but not that it si that noticable to the average driver. If you purchase this car you will love it. You also have to give some leway for a vehicle that just came out. GM still have a few bugs to work out. Take it from someone who can't get enough of the vehicle. The first time you drive it home and you stop at the light and the person tells you how they love your car. You will have the biggest smile on your face. :cool

C

·
0 Posts
All convertibles have some, and the SSR is minimal. Drive a convertible from the 50s or early 60s...then you'll feel some shake! The SSR is a good solid ride.

R

·
0 Posts
Your Nutz

The SSR rocks and is as smooth as ice. Don't look for excuses. The SSR is your destiny.

·
Registered
35 Posts
shiftz33

I have 11,000 miles on my SSR. With the top down there is some cowl shudder over bumps, but it is very tight and feels well controled. This is not felt through the steering wheel. The SSR is a very comfortable cruiser. I think that test mule you drove has serious problems.

Slingshot

·
Registered
349 Posts
Cowl Shake

No cowl shake here either. At least almost none - a bad bump makes for a little shake, but it's hardly noticeable.

It's got to be the after-market rims. There is a lot of junk for sale out there, and unfortunately many of the dealerships add this stuff to their vehicles under the guise of an "improvement" or "enhancement". This allows them to jack up the already outrageous price to an unsuspecting public, most of whom buy cars based on emotional decisions instead of using good common business sense.

Buy a stock SSR - you'll love it!:D

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With the top being down during the test drive, I was expecting SOME flexing and/or cowl shake. I just was totally surpised by the extent of the shake in this test SSR (it was a red SSR by the way). :)

This dealership has also sucked up the local (and remote) excess supply of SSRs. They've purchased SSRs from other dealerships and are marking them up 5k to 10k. The sales guy stated they purchased several of their SSRs (8 on the lot) from dealerships in Texas and a few others in California. When I went in about a month ago, they had 10 SSRs. Now they have 8, so they're not moving too many of them at the prices they're charging.

My daughter's getting close to driving age and she'll be taking over our Honda Civic Hybrid. That will leave room for a replacement car/truck. Since we have the Toyota Sienna and Nissan 350Z, it's going t be difficult to justify the SSR with my wife. She usually accepts my judgement on car purchases, but I want her to be comfortable with the purchase as well. It's half her car/truck too.

I guess I'll just wait it out a bit longer and try to find another dealership with an SSR that can be test driven. I'm fairly sure if anyone else had driven this SSR that already have a SSR and claim their SSR drives smoothly would have noticed this amount of cowl shake.

Of all of the cars/trucks (and some of those being rag tops over the past 25 years), this was the worst body flex/cowl shake I've ever experienced.

I just need to be more patient........that's going to be hard to do.

:D

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Another Option

Shiftz33,

Maybe you should post where you live....maybe, just maybe, there is an SSR owner on this forum that doesn't live too far from you. Is so, you might be able to ask for a ride....

It may be a long shot, but on the other hand....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Tom,
Liked your article.
Let's see....... In my house (me, wife, 3 kids) we have 5 everyday cars, the SSR, my 1950 classic pickup, a motorcycle and a boat. Got rid of the snow mobiles a few years ago.
We (meaning I) do like our toys. It's how I unwind, after working so damn hard.
Enjoy what you like.
Mike

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
If the tires and wheels are properly balanced you should only get some shake on very rough roads, more if the top is down.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Wheel offset

Hey, Freezer

Need some info on wheel offsets - seems like difficult information to get. I'd like to see what aftermarket wheels are available, but no one seems to have the information on wheel offsets. Is it the same as on a trailblazer? I assume it's the same bolt pattern - 6 x 127?

Sorry, but the factory wheels kinda suck!! Hub area is huge, and the plastic caps just don't do it. Any sign of a different wheel on the horizon?

Hope you can illuminate me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts