Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh the horror and no one to blame but myself.
Had my back pack sitting on the passenger floor walked around opened the door grabbed my back pack ( heavy) and somehow one of the straps or zippers caught on the lower edge of the floor gage pod and snapped it off.
You all know how expensive these pods are, so I need to fix this one.

What's the best way, glue and paint, glue and re-enforce ( JB Weld) the back and paint ?

Any suggestions would be welcome, just want it to be fixed and has un-noticeable has possible.

Attached a few pictures of the damage.:crying:

HELP !

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,754 Posts
I would think JB Weld would do good to hold it together and then take a piece of sheetmetal and bond it on the back side as well. There isn't any void to put any real thickness behind it. The good thing is it doesn't have any pressure on the part. Front side will probably need a v groove put in it at the break and filled with body filler then painted. That hurts no matter what. I have fixed a lot of stuff with JB Weld but it is usually out of sight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I always fix something like that with fiberglass mesh and plastic epoxy. Remove pod and rough sand back of pod where u r going to epoxy, spread out some epoxy on back then place n press in mesh then coat with more epoxy. It will never crack there again. You can also put tape on front of pod to hold it together while epoxing.
Good Luck
Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So went out and started to remove the POD assembly as per Dicktator's instructions, and no go.
I can get the pod to slightly lift up but even with a good hard tug it doesn't want to come off and its right up against the ashtray ( I put a micro fiber cloth over the pod )

Any suggestions ?

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,449 Posts
It lifts straight up and is a real PITA at times due to the metal clips. Look at pictures of new ones to see where the 2 pins are located. If they got bent during installation, as often happens, it is just going to take a lot of muscle to get them off. When you do get it off take a pair of pliers and squeeze the metal retainer or better yet, just take off the metal retainers and just lay the pod in place like many do. It dies not slide around, the carpet keeps it in place.

I have an offer for you, I have a red pod that has bad retaining pins, I will swap with your pod and broke parts since I could do something custom with yours. You can either repair the 2 pins or as mentioned above, just leave them off.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
If you need to repair the pod or a similar plastic trim piece, I have found the following procedure works well for broken pieces and also broken off tabs

1 Remove the piece
2 Sand or grind the back to provide as much clearance as needed and provide a rough surface for bonding
3 Align and tape the front surface in place with heavy tape
4 Apply fiberglass resin to the back and embed small pieces of fiberglass cloth, repeat with resin and additional layers of cloth until you have an adequate thickness. (Small kits of
resin, hardener and fiberglass cloth are available at auto centers and also the big box stores)
5 Let harden thoroughly and then sand the back, and trim and file the edges smooth.
6 Remove the tape on the front and if wish to eliminate the crack line, you can use more fiberglass resin or body filler on the front- then you will have to completely sand and repaint
the whole part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts