Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I don't even know if they offer tours, but I do know I'd like to visit the plant and see SSR's being built before the plant closes. I've been to Bowling Green twice, and would really like to see the Craft Centre.

If we could work out some kind of group tour, maybe in conjunction with the appreciation picnic idea, that would be great. I'd love to get a photo of my SSR parked in front of the plant, with the sign and my truck in the picture.

At any rate, information about plant tours is welcome, plus anybody on board for a group visit in the spring, when the weather gets better?

Again, this would be separate from the Dream Cruise or homecoming (assuming there is a homecoming).

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
We are on the same wavelength - scary eh?

Donnysan - This is the post I just put on another thread talking to Hotrodgirl:

Deb,

You and I have been talking about a "Spring Thing" get together somewhere in the middle of the US. What if we pick the date when school is out for the Summer and it is not blistering hot across the desert. Somewwhere in the end of May or the first of June.

How is the Michigan weather at that time of year? Would it be conducive to an SSR Fanatic hosted picnic for the LCC families? I really want to get a chance to thank them for my ride.

That would also provide enough separation from the Woodward event that I might be able to talk my honey into both trips.

I'm sure we could get an SSR Power Tour generated in the process.

Whaddaya think??????

Mikey

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Spring Thing

OK gentlemen,

The weather here in MI in May and June is wonderful! We are in full camping mode for the end of May (Memorial Weekend). Yes, we could pull off a picnic with no trouble.

Mike I know we have been talking about a "Spring Thing". I just didn't think that we were thinking of going this far East. I think it would be a great idea to have an SSR Fanatic hosted picnic for the LCC families.

I am sure that something will be coming within the next month or so. I have a feeling that Marc NY is already in the planning stages of something. So Marc if you read this fill us in on what we can do?

We have some very passionate SSR Fanatic members here that would like to give back some of the love that we share with our SSR's to the Lansing Employee's.

I know this is a tuff call with the Woodward Dream Cruise being in August. But I think with all the posts I've been reading that we should set out for an approval and date to visit the Lansing Craft Center for a final farwell.

Again I'm calling on Marc to make this happen as he has the connections for this to be a reality.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Talked to Marc this morning

about this very subject. We all share the same objective - to say thanks. With GM's announcement, things are a little unsettled right now. I believe we should all get our suggestions on the table and collectively let Bob Walczyk know what our intentions are. Although I can't speak on Bob's behalf, I am sure he will be getting re-assigned and would also like to have an active part in this type of thing.

Emotions are going to be pretty ragged around the actual closure date and I think we would be better to go early and express our thanks on an upbeat note. The timing will be set by GM's schedule for closure, but I believe we will have enough advanced notice to make a good road trip/tour out of it.

I am willing to "stand-by" for a couple weeks until the dust settles and we start seeing some realistic dates appear. When we get turned on to go, I will volunteer to be a regional focal point. We need to organize this.

At the ready,

Mike

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
I'm Ready

Mike in AZ said:
I am willing to "stand-by" for a couple weeks until the dust settles and we start seeing some realistic dates appear. When we get turned on to go, I will volunteer to be a regional focal point. We need to organize this.

I strongly believe that we will have much more to work with if we sit tight for a little bit. It takes time to get the answers we need. I'm ready at the drop of a hat and I'm willing to plan and organize this great event. I'm always willing to give a helping hand. Looking forward to hearing a date soon :thumbs

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I agree!!! I think most of the Fanatics would rather be included in the Last Hurraahh instead of woodward!!! I am ready to pitch in too!

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Craft Center Tour

" HAVE MARGARITAS WILL TRAVEL" :party

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've done something similar to this before when the Prowler was discontinued.

We went to the plant the last week of production, and watched the final cars being built, and had an appreciation dinner for the group and employees. Someone also made some DVD's with a thank you message and lots of Prowler footage that we gave to all the workers.
It meant more to people than anyone could imagine. It really made them feel appreciated, and made a hard time a little bit easier.

I would like to see a Lansing Craft Center Tribute happen as well.

I found a small clip from the video that was given out I'll try and find a larger one.

I wish I had the skills to put this together, but I don't maybe someone else here will like the idea.

CAAP Tribute Trailer

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks to LCC

This past August it was great to meet those that built our pride and joy, and it would be great to also thank their families that support them. I'm always up for a roadtrip so let me know how I can help.

I don't see this as a last hurrah, but a BIG THANK YOU to the all the LCC SSR Artists as we all continue to kroozn into the future.............

see ya'll down the blvd................
kroozn

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,648 Posts
Awesome Video Segment

I don't know if we could put together something as good as that. I know there was a young fellow video tapping a lot of our Homecoming events and Dream Cruise activities. I don't know what happened to the DVD that was to come our way?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
RonC: Your idea is the best I have seen yet! There is a ton of talent on this forum and I think we can all pitch in and create something really nice for those workers at the plant. I know that I will be forever personally thankful for having my dreams of a hot rod from the factory come true.

·
Registered
158 Posts
SSR Power Cruise?

Mike in AZ said:
Donnysan - This is the post I just put on another thread talking to Hotrodgirl:

Deb,

You and I have been talking about a "Spring Thing" get together somewhere in the middle of the US. What if we pick the date when school is out for the Summer and it is not blistering hot across the desert. Somewwhere in the end of May or the first of June.

How is the Michigan weather at that time of year? Would it be conducive to an SSR Fanatic hosted picnic for the LCC families? I really want to get a chance to thank them for my ride.

That would also provide enough separation from the Woodward event that I might be able to talk my honey into both trips.

I'm sure we could get an SSR Power Tour generated in the process.

Whaddaya think??????

Mikey

Mikey,
Great thoughts!!! Just thinking not to step on a certain magazines feet.......maybe SSR Power Cruise...........just a thought......

kroozn

·
Registered
158 Posts
That Rocks!

hotrodgirl said:
Just a thought

What if we all purchased one Die cast Model of an SSR and distributed them to each family with a special Thank You note inside.

Hotrod Girl,
Great idea..........................................now we need more snow, that way it's easier to lock myself in the shop to paint miniature flames on a Slingshot SSR.

kroozn

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sit's GREAT

Mike in AZ said:
kroozn - Great. "The SSR (Super Special Return) Power Cruise" to Lansing Craft Centre.

How does that sit with you?

Mikey

Hey Mikey..................................I love it!................time to go sniff more custom paint and come up with more ideas...................... :cheers

down the blvd.........kroozn

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Personalizing

kroozn said:
Hotrod Girl,
Great idea..........................................now we need more snow, that way it's easier to lock myself in the shop to paint miniature flames on a Slingshot SSR.

kroozn

kroozn
Love your idea of the personalizing of them. Now that would be SPECIAL :thumbs

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Marc: You answered my question. I wondered what ever happened to the promised video. Something to think about. With all the flury of suggestions and questions regarding this summer poss. visit to the plant I suggest the following. See if we (club) or the keeper of goodies can get the yellow signed hood before it get's scrapped? I went through the V-8 Flint plant closing and at crunch time a lot of stuff got scrapped. Anything that they have relating to the SSR would make great keepsakes. Dave

1 - 20 of 56 Posts