Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the roller rocker arms 1.85 expensive? where is the cheapest or best place to get them?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Comp Cams Roller Rockers

I bought the Comp cams Roller Rocker kit and the hardened 5/16" push rods from my local speed shop here in Maryland,all total about $600.00 part # 13705-kit.
These are 1:85-1:00 ratio full roller stud mount rockers with 5/16" guide plates.
I got onto Comp cams web site and checked for dealers in my area.
These rockers really freed up the motor in the mid- upper rpms. I coupled that with the Crane Cams powermax tuner and OH- WHAT A FEELING!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is supposed to produce about 2o hp. does it seem about right? may be a new expense in the spring.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hey Merlin,
Yea I guess thats about right Feels like more though.I think the biggest difference was with the tune added with the mechanical change.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ron dickson

when i changed heads and cam we installed SLP 1.85 rockers which are a direct replacement for the stock 1.7 factory rockers{they look the same, and are constructed the same] i can,t remember exactly but i think they are in the $350/385 range. i have all shift points set for 6000 rpm, and i think these rockers are good for the 6800rpm range.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can you get by with just changing the rockers? or do you have to do extras. Heads and cam would get expensive.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Rockin

Sorry merlin no pics but if you look close at my gallery shot of thr red engine cover you can see the polished vave cover.
Anyway, yes you can swap out the new roller rockers without any head mods.Comp cams did recomend the addition of their heavy duty push rods though.
I looked at the SLP rocker and decided that the Comp cams rocker would be better due to having the roller tip as well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
rayg said:
Did you install the push rod guide plates?
Yes, I installed the 5/16" pushrod guide plates.They fit right under the rocker studs. The install was easy but due to the new LS1 firing order I had to adjust the valve lash on each cylinder one at a time.
Craig

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,994 Posts
53wanab said:
Yes, I installed the 5/16" pushrod guide plates.They fit right under the rocker studs. The install was easy but due to the new LS1 firing order I had to adjust the valve lash on each cylinder one at a time.
Craig
I'm not sure of the details for the internal parts of this engine yet but, typically if you add guideplates you need to change the pushrods to hardened pushrods or the guideplates will wear through your original pushrods. If you had guideplates before you should be ok or if the original pushrods are hardened you should be ok.
If not you better check the wear on the pushrods before they wear through or break.

·
Registered
500 Posts
hdflstf said:
I'm not sure of the details for the internal parts of this engine yet but, typically if you add guideplates you need to change the pushrods to hardened pushrods or the guideplates will wear through your original pushrods. If you had guideplates before you should be ok or if the original pushrods are hardened you should be ok.
If not you better check the wear on the pushrods before they wear through or break.
Thanks for the thought,but you are correct,I also installed the comp cams hardened pushrods.Whew!

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,994 Posts
53wanab said:
Thanks for the thought,but you are correct,I also installed the comp cams hardened pushrods.Whew!
Thats good.. Now you won't need to worry about all those metal shavings in you engine... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts