Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SSR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. First and foremost, what a great site!! I'm a newbie here, but have spent quite a bit of time looking around over the past few weeks. I recently purchased a very low mileage 2004 SSR from a neighbor and unfortunately the SSR and I aren't seeing eye to eye yet. The second time I started it up, it was hard to start, but started. As it was idling I pushed the throttle and it stammered and stumbled. If you pushed the accelerator quickly you could hear a gasp of air and then no power. It popped a CEL and it came back to PO171 and 174. After this, it also started to run slightly rough.

The next day when I went to start it, it would only crank, no start. Upon turning the key, it wants to turn over at first and sounds like it, but then just continues to crank. I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the MAF, but then swapped in a new MAF, checked all under hood fuses. I can hear the fuel pump prime and also confirmed fuel at the fuel rail (but did not check pressure yet). I also cleaned the throttle body and it looks like possibly someone had been in there, as the butterfly looked very scratched for the vehicle's miles. Also, it may be nothing, but to me, when the accelerator pedal is pushed, the throttle body is noisy.

I wanted to seek some guidance here before going any further..

Thanks and I can't wait to start utilizing the tips and tricks provided within the site!

Bobby

·
Premium Member
May 2017 ROTM 2005 Redline Red .
6,599 Posts
First off Welcome from a So Cal Fanatic.
Second, someone with more knowledge than me will be along and provide some info on the issue you are having.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress as it may help us all in the future.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
876 Posts
I think PO171 & 174 refer to a lean fuel condition. I think I would start out by putting a fuel gauge on the rail and seeing what you've got. Beyond that @Autoprof and others that can ask pertinent questions and move you to a solution will be along soon. I suspect most of the gearheads other than @Dragon2U above are at or returning from the weekend Rallye. Keep in mind the most suggested starting point in most similar threads to this is to replace the ignition switch, might be worth a try! Careful whose switch you choose, there are poor ones out there. Look here: Ignition Switch
My $.02

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,477 Posts
@GoCubsGo, while waiting on the experts, check real good for a vacuum hose/cap/plug being off. That would cause a Lean mixture on Both banks. Meantime--Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Then go to the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. New Member Section

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
2004 SSR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you to those have provided suggestions and tips thus far. As well as a warm welcome! It is appreciated. Again, this really looks like an amazing group of people, tips, and tricks.

Unfortunately it still will not start. Cranks and acts like it is going to run for a second and then nothing. I went ahead and changed the ignition switch and unfortunately it did not help. Although I am glad one of the known issues has been rectified for the moment. I'm hopeful to hear from some of the other experts weigh in on my SSR and its problem.

Thanks again,

Bobby

·
Slingshot Rules!
81,939 Posts

WELCOME, Bobby . . . from Beautiful Downtown Tucson.

What part of Phoenix do you live?

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,769 Posts
@GoCubsGo

Sorry I haven't responded,, saw this thread a few days ago while at the rally and then forgot about it.

"Throttle body sounds noisy"

Does it work? It should open a little as key is turned on. Also should move somewhat with accelerator with key on.

Does it run or try to run a little longer on either (starting fluid)?
If yes, try swapping fuel pump relay with another one with same part number, just don't swap with the one marked "pwrtrain" that relay provides power for coils and injectors.

Then check fuel pressure.

If No, check for spark.

I am also a cubs fan but I am afraid it's time for
"Wait til next year!"
Go Cubs Smile World Hat Happy Gesture

·
Premium Member
2005 Slingshot, 6 speed manual
17,547 Posts
I’m no help with your problem, but welcome from North Carolina. Hope get it figured out.

·
Registered
2004 SSR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@GoCubsGo

Sorry I haven't responded,, saw this thread a few days ago while at the rally and then forgot about it.

"Throttle body sounds noisy"

Does it work? It should open a little as key is turned on. Also should move somewhat with accelerator with key on.

Does it run or try to run a little longer on either (starting fluid)?
If yes, try swapping fuel pump relay with another one with same part number, just don't swap with the one marked "pwrtrain" that relay provides power for coils and injectors.

Then check fuel pressure.

If No, check for spark.

I am also a cubs fan but I am afraid it's time for
"Wait til next year!"
Go Cubs View attachment 601197
No worries. Throttle body moves, but it is just makes quite a bit more noise than I've heard on other vehicles and when I saw the butterfly was scratched up, I kinda scratched my head.

I haven't tried starting fluid. I'll see if I have some. I have already swapped the relay and it did not resolve the issue.

I haven't gotten a fuel pressure gauge yet, but it's on the list for this week to acquire.

Yes, the last few months as a Cubs fan have been hard. I have a feeling it may be more than just next year though. :) But, I've been a Cubs fan my whole life, so really not a big deal. Ha ha. We will see. I have spring training tickets so it will be good to familiarize myself with all the "newer" players.

·
SSR Believer
2,638 Posts
@GoCubsGo, I also thought about buying a fuel pressure gauge recently but I decided it would probably end up being a one-time use (and I have more than enough tools like that collecting dust) so I picked up a loaner kit from O’Reilly’s the other day. $150 CC deposit, fully refunded when I returned it. Worked perfectly. I think AutoZone and some others have the same loaner kits. Just a thought.

You're in good hands here. Best of luck on your quest to get things sorted out. The good news is that it can almost certainly be fixed so hang in there.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Computer cooling Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
2004 SSR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was able to hook a pressure gauge up to the SSR last night and with the help of some starting fluid, get it running and get a reading. It is at 9-10psi, which obviously is much much lower than the needed pressure. I also went ahead and replaced the pressure regulator on the rail, as I thought the diaphragm inside may have been compromised from old gas (prior to the reading). Are there any other steps to confirm a bad pump over clogged lines, etc.?

Thanks,

Bobby

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,684 Posts
Are there any other steps to confirm a bad pump over clogged lines, etc.?
Since you stated that you already replaced the fuel filter, I'm guessing that means it's not clogged.

I checked my YouTube video where I replaced the fuel pump in my former 2004 Chevy SSR. In the section where I disconnect the fuel filter lines, I see there is a schrader valve present in the line that exits the fuel filter and runs up to the engine. I used it to relieve any excess pressure in the line, but you may be able to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to check the pressure there. It's plastic so be careful if you decide to attempt to attach a fuel pressure gauge there. That's as close as you'll be able to get to the fuel pump to check for the pressure it's providing.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Bumper

Here's the link to my video where I replace the fuel pump in a 2004 Chevy SSR.

·
Registered
2004 SSR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since you stated that you already replaced the fuel filter, I'm guessing that means it's not clogged.

I checked my YouTube video where I replaced the fuel pump in my former 2004 Chevy SSR. In the section where I disconnect the fuel filter lines, I see there is a schrader valve present in the line that exits the fuel filter and runs up to the engine. I used it to relieve any excess pressure in the line, but you may be able to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to check the pressure there. It's plastic so be careful if you decide to attempt to attach a fuel pressure gauge there. That's as close as you'll be able to get to the fuel pump to check for the pressure it's providing.

View attachment 601576

Here's the link to my video where I replace the fuel pump in a 2004 Chevy SSR.

Thanks. Yeah, I don't think I'm comfortable hooking up a pressure gauge there based on it being plastic. My luck isn't great and I can just imagine... Can it be concluded based on everything thus far that the likelihood of this being the fuel pump is rather high? It is a really low miles vehicle and I am having a hard time believing its the pump (maybe it is just because I don't want to do the job 😂), but like many of you, I've seen some crazy things car related. Thanks again!
Bobby

·
Registered
2004 SSR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got an AC Delco fuel pump off of RockAuto and may try to tackle this this coming weekend. I'll keep everybody posted. I'm excited to get the SSR fired up and back on the road after this and a full fluid change!

Bobby

·
SSR Believer
2,638 Posts
Got an AC Delco fuel pump off of RockAuto and may try to tackle this this coming weekend. I'll keep everybody posted. I'm excited to get the SSR fired up and back on the road after this and a full fluid change!

Bobby
Looks like that may be in my future too Bobby. Will really be interested to hear how things go.

Best of luck! 🤞

·
Registered
2005 aqua blur 114k miles with the ball joint blues....bringing it back from the dead.
51 Posts
Sounds like a weak fuel pump, I always keep a quarter full tank, If you let it go dry, there's a risk of burning up the fuel pump, not to mention fire! Fuel pumps in the gas tank? WTF?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts