Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Slingshot Rules!
81,939 Posts
Got an AC Delco fuel pump off of RockAuto and may try to tackle this this coming weekend. I'll keep everybody posted. I'm excited to get the SSR fired up and back on the road after this and a full fluid change!

Bobby

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Daily Driver
9,255 Posts
Might need a new gasket for the plate in the tank where the lines go through.

·
Registered
2004 SSR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
After replacing the fuel pump, the SSR is now alive!!!

Dropping the tank went fairly easy (thank you retrocarguy530 for the how-to video and everyone's suggestions/comments). The only snag I had was the fuel pump lock ring. The fuel pump lock ring tool I had was not the correct one (it was much larger) and unfortunately all of the parts stores in the area did not have the correct one either, so unfortunately I had to remove and reinstall the lock ring the good old way. Spark free of course... 😂 When I removed the old fuel pump, the sock/strainer was on the bottom of the tank, not attached. When I went to fish it out, it started to fall apart. I was able to get it out in several pieces and also cleaned the tank out. Took it up to Costco for some fresh fuel and it's alive!

I'll be doing an oil change, coolant replacement, and brake fluid replacement, along with a full detail this week!

Thanks again everyone, can't wait to start enjoying it and pre-emptively fixing some of the typical gremlins and issues addressed here with the vehicle!

Bobby

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,769 Posts
Glad you got it running -- your posts don't say if you did this.
Always a good idea to replace an external fuel filter at the same time as replacing the pump. AND save the old ignition switch. It wasn't the problem and the new one, if not one of the better manufactured ones, may be more prone to failure then the OE one.

·
Registered
2005 aqua blur 114k miles with the ball joint blues....bringing it back from the dead.
53 Posts
Good for you...:)

·
Registered
2004 SSR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Glad you got it running -- your posts don't say if you did this.
Always a good idea to replace an external fuel filter at the same time as replacing the pump. AND save the old ignition switch. It wasn't the problem and the new one, if not one of the better manufactured ones, may be more prone to failure then the OE one.
Yes, I did the work. I also replaced the fuel filter a few weeks back, prior to this fuel pump replacement. Yes, I am most certainly going to carry the old ignition switch with me, just in case!

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,769 Posts
Job well done.
Thank you for updating what fixed your issue. Unfortunately this is something that some don't do and it can be valuable to others.

I hope you enjoyed your ride today and many rides to come.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts