Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here is another wreck to mourn over again as in all I have posted passenger area intact

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
"FINALLY"

Seen alot of photo's of crashed SSR's, first one I've seem with the airbags deployed. Glad to Know they really work!! :thumbs

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
Hi, Dohyatt

Can you put me in touch with one of the wrecking yards - if any of these trucks are being parted out, I would like to purchase the trailer hitch mounting system attached to the frame.

I want to build a "through the license plate" receiver system, and need to grind off the welded socket for the factory hitch. I don't want to damage the stock one in case I want to return my 03 to original.

Thanks,

Ray

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
Interesting that with a half dozen or so major wrecks, no one on this site has owned up to being the driver. I guess Fanatics are more careful than the average consumer.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the pics i post are from salvage pools the trucks will be auctioned to rebuilders and salvage yards and I have no way of knowing where the go

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
fab it!

Flassh said:
Hi, Dohyatt

Can you put me in touch with one of the wrecking yards - if any of these trucks are being parted out, I would like to purchase the trailer hitch mounting system attached to the frame.

I want to build a "through the license plate" receiver system, and need to grind off the welded socket for the factory hitch. I don't want to damage the stock one in case I want to return my 03 to original.

Thanks,

Ray
I think fabricating the whole reciever would be the way to go :thumbs
just my thoughts :flag
p.s. whatever you do I'd like to see it!

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
There's no comparable hitch available on the aftermarket for the SSR or Trailblazer.

The factory hitch has a curved crossmember, and would be fairly hard to duplicate in a handbuilt piece.

It seems simpler to cut off the factory hitch socket and replace it with a standard receiver sleeve.

No panic - many other projects to come first.

Ray

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Wreck

I think that the SSR got wrecked because of that christmas tree air freshener hanging from the mirror....... :mad

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Flassh said:
There's no comparable hitch available on the aftermarket for the SSR or Trailblazer.

The factory hitch has a curved crossmember, and would be fairly hard to duplicate in a handbuilt piece.

It seems simpler to cut off the factory hitch socket and replace it with a standard receiver sleeve.

No panic - many other projects to come first.

Ray
Don't give up on a new fabrication too quickly.

As designed, that curved part is about the best, from the perspective of mass production, least problematic, point of view. But for a "one off" replacment, the curved part could easily be replaced by a series of mitered segments. The right shop could even heat and form acceptable bends.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.