Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
for the sake of a new conversation, what crate engine would you swap into your SSR and why you chose that.
Budget is $8000.00 for sake of argument. Not talking adding supercharger or turbo, just a new crate motor swap.
GM has some good choices with a warranty that will drop in. If you choose big block vs small block what mods are needed to squeeze it in?
This is about a conversation so all answers are good ones, lets not go down the path on picking on people for their idea please.
So the game is afoot!

Registered
for the sake of a new conversation, what crate engine would you swap into your SSR and why you chose that.
Budget is $8000.00 for sake of argument. Not talking adding supercharger or turbo, just a new crate motor swap.
GM has some good choices with a warranty that will drop in. If you choose big block vs small block what mods are needed to squeeze it in?
This is about a conversation so all answers are good ones, lets not go down the path on picking on people for their idea please.
So the game is afoot!
I've seen and heard several arguments for the LS3. Substantial cylinder head & intake manifold redesign from our LS2s, but the external architecture is the same so no issues with bolt right in. Normally aspirated in Corvette had up to 460HP. Heaven knows what you could get with a blower as if you would need it plus you could possibly find a used one in the salvage market. Get one out of a Grand Sport six speed and you've got a forged crank and hand assembly to boot! The only challenge should be integrating the electronics and I have been told you might even be able to get by with your existing ECU. New from GM go for the LS376/480, 495 normally aspirated HP for about $7700 and GM has a rebate program on, or the LSX 427, big horsepower there but over your budget. If you can't do the install you may have to drop back a couple of HP for the labor, but I think the used route would give you the best bang for your $8K. Hopefully others will chime in on this.:p

Registered
I would either build the 6.0 or build a iron block 6.0 and add better heads and more camshaft to it. And if the budget still had anything left I would throw a Nitrous system on it. But the my whole life my friends said even if I had a dump truck I would probably still have a nitrous system on it and they are right.

Daily Driver
I think I would have a shop build the LS-2 also. A much bigger motor would mean the trans and rear are stressed bigtime. Besides, I can't be trusted with real big horsepower.

Premium Member
Oh NOOOOOOOOO . . . Not a Hemi in a Chevy.

There's gotta be a law against that.

! :cool: ! (n) ! :cool: ! (n) ! :cool: !

:rolleyes:

I certainly agree with that............But can/will a (Big Block) Chevy motor fit into that area and hook up with the existing trans (auto and/or six speed). Why modify a 6.0 small block if you can get well beyond that in size if it will fit in there.:oops:

Registered
I would either build the 6.0 or build a iron block 6.0 and add better heads and more camshaft to it. And if the budget still had anything left I would throw a Nitrous system on it. But the my whole life my friends said even if I had a dump truck I would probably still have a nitrous system on it and they are right.
In that vein, if the truck is an '05-06 with the 6.0 you would have a good starting point to get substantially more HP without replacement, but the crate 6.2s are already there power wise. Keep in mind a freer exhaust than stock is worth power no matter what else you do. Our trucks were rated at 395HP (GTO 400, Vette 405) mostly due to exhaust restraints. Has anyone tried to put the Chevy Performance part no#19300535 LS3 cylinder head and cam kit on their SSR? I would be interested to know how it worked out.:oops:
Bill

Registered
Topspin has updated his truck I know with intake and cam shaft but not sure what heads he is running on it or what he has tried.

I know the exhaust is for sure a help and from what I have seen on some of the stuff out there they leave a lot of room for improvement. I changed just the system from the converter back and it helped with performance. I looked at a Kooks Y pipe and they neck that down at the flange for the converter. I think you pretty much need to build your own true dual system to get the most out of it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
I鈥檓 thinking a gm crate LS376/480 495 hoursepower LS3. Just under $8000.00

Premium Member
So the game is afoot!
I鈥檓 waiting to hear what Joe Delano would say, if he chimes in. The electronics on an LS3 would worry me.

xs-cash
The reluctor wheel and the electronics would be challenging to say the least , 03/04 are totally different than 05/06 too, this has been discussed here before too

Premium Member
When I broke my LS2 last fall, I had the original block rebuilt. Used the LS9 cam, which was a drop-in by using the original 1x cam sensor. Many of the cams require the 4x cam sensor because they are a 1 bolt design, rather than the 3 bolt design of the 1x sensor.

If you went with an LS3, you would need to make sure it is running a 28x reluctor wheel on the crank. Otherwise, you are headed for some major issues with the electronics.

This link will take you to a thread I posted last year detailing the rebuild and reinstall, including adding the LS7 clutch system, which was a huge improvement.

Post 45 has the details of the engine build.

As an aside, the builder said the LS2 is a stronger engine to rebuild, because of the additional wall thickness. The LS3 gets its extra displacement by decreasing wall thickness between cylinders. It was rebuilt using ARP studs instead of head bolts.

I was quite happy to get an engine built to my specs based on recommendations from the builder and Joe Delano. I don't know what I'm getting when I buy an off the shelf crate engine. The total price of this build was in line with, or below comparable crate engines.

Premium Member
I'm waiting for Joe Delano to get back with me about the rebuilt 6.0 in my truck. Jeff Meldron (Magic Carpet Ride) told me that it was built by Duttweiler Performance using all forged components and a modified cam specifically spec'd by Joe Delano for a 2300 blower.... However, Jeff chose not to put the blower on. At Branson, Joe told me that it was bored out about 10 thousandths and was pushing around 450 HP. Once I get the specs and invoice of the build I'll get that info to you! 馃槈

Registered
I could see doing an engine swap in a 5.3 truck if someone was really power hungry. But, to me, the 6.0 has enough potential that I'd just go for the rebuild. I believe you can get the power you want without the swap over headaches. just my $.02
wizzr

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #18
there is a solution for the 53 to 28x issue
There is also a 06 GTO Lingenfelter crate engine installed for just over 10 K, supercharged. Same motor as 05/06 SSR. has warranty as well. over the budget but is an interesting option.

Registered
I would like to try to stuff a big block Chevy in one. That torque of a stroked 496 would be a lot of fun in one. I would really like to find a wrecked one and see what it would take to stuff it in. Mated to a 4L80 over drive and it could still be a fun driver just hard on tires.

BAD BOW TIE
The very first post says which crate engine and why. Going back to that I guess I would say first of all figure out a plan of what you want to end up with and stick to the plan. For instance do you want reliability and ease of installation,, stick with the same you have. If you want economy etc. go smaller. If you want a fire breathing monster find the biggest baddest motor you can get. If you want to road race it set it up that way. Drag race it set it up that way. Like I said figure out your plan and what you want to do with it when built and then proceed. Made a few changes to mine and super dyno tuned it and gained about 65 horsepower and didn't break the bank so that works for me. If we are dreaming I would go 427 worked over.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts