Chevy SSR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
you can see the info in this link
https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19370411.html
I posted a question about usage in all years in the SSR. Lets see what GM says
I am sure to need a new or rebuilt engine in my 161,000 04 SSR. Burning a quart of oil every 1500 miles. I went to link you posted. I read all information & am puzzled as to why post a link that Chevrolet does not recommend the swap into newer than 1976 cars & trucks. Then to have the electronics work? Is this swap made easier by changing reluctor wheel & or PCM to one used in 05 & 06 SSR's? I am able to perform repairs to my SSR. Have repaired all the common problems over the past 10 years of ownership. The Gas tank leaking? & Engine is all that's left. My idea is to change engine & move gas tank to rear of chassis were it should be. Maybe even a fuel cell in bed. I need some more information on the swap & the Lingenfelter electronics is they way to go>?

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
from what I read, the Lingenfelter electronics is the answer. Please keep in mind I have no recommendation, I just started a conversation to see what the Fanatics are thinking and how they would approach the issue with a crate vs. rebuild. As you see there are several folks who think a rebuild is the way to go. All good answers depending on what works for you. From what everyone has posted so far, depending on how much money I had at the time, first choice would be to get Lingenfelter supercharged engine installed for around 10K. Second choice would be to work with the Blueprint engine folks and the electronics mod. about 7K plus my own labor. I'm thinking I would like a non supercharged and 500 or so HP as enough for me. You may want more. Good luck and please post so we know how its going.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
I am sure to need a new or rebuilt engine in my 161,000 04 SSR. Burning a quart of oil every 1500 miles. I went to link you posted. I read all information & am puzzled as to why post a link that Chevrolet does not recommend the swap into newer than 1976 cars & trucks. Then to have the electronics work? Is this swap made easier by changing reluctor wheel & or PCM to one used in 05 & 06 SSR's? I am able to perform repairs to my SSR. Have repaired all the common problems over the past 10 years of ownership. The Gas tank leaking? & Engine is all that's left. My idea is to change engine & move gas tank to rear of chassis were it should be. Maybe even a fuel cell in bed. I need some more information on the swap & the Lingenfelter electronics is they way to go>?
From what I've heard, the Lingenfelter box works as advertised.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
During the summer I meet someone from upstate Connecticut that had a2003 with a calliway 542 install.it looked factory when you open good and cel worked.didnt ask cost

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Don't know the cost, don't know the compatibility of electronics, do know that the LS7 would be my choice for a swap though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
No not likely go iron block.. it was part of the gm reply. The one I would likely do is posted in a previous post.. just under 8k
Did Chevrolet say anything about the oil pan on the ls376/480 fitting into our trucks? The product details call it an SS (I'm guessing Camaro) pan? Otherwise it should be a bolt in swap. I also wonder for those of us who live in areas where an emission test is required yearly, if it could be tuned to pass? GM says '76 and older probably to get around that very issue. They also offer this basic 6.2 in a 525HP version, but I be dog gonned if I can see where the difference in HP lies except in the price! It has the same oil pan.
Bill

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I posted everything I got from GM. I believe the cam is the difference but I could be wrong on that.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Don't know the cost, don't know the compatibility of electronics, do know that the LS7 would be my choice for a swap though.
LS7 is a very pricey deal - 11K for the engine, minus the lines and tank to complete the dry sump oiling system! Lots of issues with the FEAD system, too. Way cheaper/easier ways to obtain 505 hp!

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Did Chevrolet say anything about the oil pan on the ls376/480 fitting into our trucks? The product details call it an SS (I'm guessing Camaro) pan? Otherwise it should be a bolt in swap. I also wonder for those of us who live in areas where an emission test is required yearly, if it could be tuned to pass? GM says '76 and older probably to get around that very issue. They also offer this basic 6.2 in a 525HP version, but I be dog gonned if I can see where the difference in HP lies except in the price! It has the same oil pan.
Bill
From the photos, it looks like that oil pan may fit, but it may not be as effective as a C6 pan. The C6 pan should be a part of any performance engine swap!

The 525 hp version has the "ASA" camshaft that's 226/236 versus the "Hot Cam" @ 219/228, both with .525 lift. Appears to be the only change for a cool grand!

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
LS7 is a very pricey deal - 11K for the engine, minus the lines and tank to complete the dry sump oiling system! Lots of issues with the FEAD system, too. Way cheaper/easier ways to obtain 505 hp!
Thanks for the info, it will never happen anyway. Now a ZO6 or a Z/28 with one in it, maybe someday.

·
Registered
68 Posts
From the photos, it looks like that oil pan may fit, but it may not be as effective as a C6 pan. The C6 pan should be a part of any performance engine swap!

The 525 hp version has the "ASA" camshaft that's 226/236 versus the "Hot Cam" @ 219/228, both with .525 lift. Appears to be the only change for a cool grand!
Back to the LS3 power upgrade kit (heads & cam I referenced earlier). It comes with the LS7 camshaft pt# 12638426 with .591 lift I&E, 211&230 duration & 121 lobe sep. Is that too radical for an LS2 in something as heavy as our trucks? I know you aren't a fan of the big port heads per your earlier reply. Looks pretty close to the "Hot Cam" except for lift figure. Should really howl at 5-6k RPM. If it would work out, it seems it would be a much cheaper & less labor intensive alternative to an entire engine for someone who has a good, tight bottom end. Job could be done with engine remaining in the truck. I know you would also have to have an LS3 intake + I don't know about the TB. Challenge of the electronics remains about the same I would guess.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Back to the LS3 power upgrade kit (heads & cam I referenced earlier). It comes with the LS7 camshaft pt# 12638426 with .591 lift I&E, 211&230 duration & 121 lobe sep. Is that too radical for an LS2 in something as heavy as our trucks? I know you aren't a fan of the big port heads per your earlier reply. Looks pretty close to the "Hot Cam" except for lift figure. Should really howl at 5-6k RPM. If it would work out, it seems it would be a much cheaper & less labor intensive alternative to an entire engine for someone who has a good, tight bottom end. Job could be done with engine remaining in the truck. I know you would also have to have an LS3 intake + I don't know about the TB. Challenge of the electronics remains about the same I would guess.
Actually, the lift would be .558 with the LS2 stock rockers. The .591 lift is realized with the 1.8 LS7 rocker ratio. Yes, 5-6 grand is where that engine would shine, but it would be very lazy below 3,000. You also lose some compression with the LS3 heads as the combustion chambers are 4cc larger! A looser converter or big gears or both would be required.

Again, I feel for the $ spent you could do way better with a different head/cam combo. I agree, if your LS2 is healthy there's lots that can be done to really wake it up. I went through 3 cam swaps, a cylinder head change, and 4 intakes on my stock motor before building my 427 two years ago.

Good luck, with whatever you decide on!

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well I must say the SSR family did not disappoint. I was curious about how the SSR family would tackle the question I had been taking about with a local Fanatic. They came through with lots of ideas and comments about crate engines and rebuilds. It was great fun to read all the replies. This forum proves again we can discuss interesting ideas and learn something. I even had one SSR Fanatic call me and offer an used engine and trans if I was in dire need. BTW I do not need a engine, both of mine are doing fine and have around 30K miles. But if I did, I believe this forum helped me figure out what I would do. Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Actually, the lift would be .558 with the LS2 stock rockers. The .591 lift is realized with the 1.8 LS7 rocker ratio. Yes, 5-6 grand is where that engine would shine, but it would be very lazy below 3,000. You also lose some compression with the LS3 heads as the combustion chambers are 4cc larger! A looser converter or big gears or both would be required.

Again, I feel for the $ spent you could do way better with a different head/cam combo. I agree, if your LS2 is healthy there's lots that can be done to really wake it up. I went through 3 cam swaps, a cylinder head change, and 4 intakes on my stock motor before building my 427 two years ago.

Good luck, with whatever you decide on!
Topspin, hoping not to get too far off the subject of a crate engine but enlarging on your answer to this cam question, I read an old thread (2009) that you participated in on installing aftermarket 1.8 & 1.85 ratio valve rocker arms and I am guessing at that time maybe Chevy was not doing the LS7. Notwithstanding, will the GM LS7 1.8 ratio arms install onto the LS2 without modification for a little bit more lift & duration with the stock or a somewhat wilder camshaft?
Bill, '05 six speed

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Topspin, hoping not to get too far off the subject of a crate engine but enlarging on your answer to this cam question, I read an old thread (2009) that you participated in on installing aftermarket 1.8 & 1.85 ratio valve rocker arms and I am guessing at that time maybe Chevy was not doing the LS7. Notwithstanding, will the GM LS7 1.8 ratio arms install onto the LS2 without modification for a little bit more lift & duration with the stock or a somewhat wilder camshaft?
Bill, '05 six speed
Unfortunately, the LS7 rockers are a dedicated part for the LS7 heads only. There are many aftermarket 1.8 rockers available now, for the Gen III engines . I've had very good results with the Crane rockers, but they are pricey!

I just bumped an old thread of mine titled "Old School Valve Train". We can continue our valve train discussions over there and not clutter this thread further. Also, the Crane rockers are pictured there if you're interested in seeing them.

·
HobbyBob
611 Posts
I spent a lot of time planning my engine swap, and settled on the ERL short block with Callies crank and rods. The base block was the GM LSA LS3 block bored and stroked to 427 ci, and rated for 1450 hp. The heads came from West Coast. The unit slid right in and bolted up. A few mods had to be made for a/c support and p/s pump bracket. Yes, it cost more than 8000.00, but it was what I wanted. Oh, by the way, I am talking about my truck ELWOOD!

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
I spent a lot of time planning my engine swap, and settled on the ERL short block with Callies crank and rods. The base block was the GM LSA LS3 block bored and stroked to 427 ci, and rated for 1450 hp. The heads came from West Coast. The unit slid right in and bolted up. A few mods had to be made for a/c support and p/s pump bracket. Yes, it cost more than 8000.00, but it was what I wanted. Oh, by the way, I am talking about my truck ELWOOD!
Sadly, ERL is no longer an option as they've closed the doors.

·
HobbyBob
611 Posts
Duttweiler is an option if you can wait 6-9 months. The secret to a strong motor is a strong short block. Add whatever heads you think will benefit your needs, and match that with a quality cam. GM springs, rocker arms, and pushrods will be just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Duttweiler is an option if you can wait 6-9 months. The secret to a strong motor is a strong short block. Add whatever heads you think will benefit your needs, and match that with a quality cam. GM springs, rocker arms, and pushrods will be just fine.
Kenny Duttweiler is certainly the top of the food chain for competition engines, but it'd probably take 2 or 3 times your $8k budget to get through his front door.

Concerning GM valve train components, they're generally the first things replaced from my experience. The rockers are serviceable, up to .600 lift with a trunnion upgrade, but the pushrods and springs are marginal/unreliable for a serious performance application. The aftermarket has much better components for reasonable $!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts