Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this problem with three of my last Chevys.....2001 S-10, 2002 Blazer, and 2004 SSR. Each car was built and delivered with the steering wheel off 12 o'clock (crooked). The S-10 had to go in five times until the dealer got it right, the Blazer once, and now the SSR has been to the dealer and it's "close". I'd like it to be perfect.

I tried my luck today by spinning each tie rod end one turn in the same direction to correct the problem and to my surprise found that it moved the steering wheel about 10-15 degrees so I put them back to original. My guess is that if I change one tie rod I'll 1) move the steering wheel about 5-7 degrees which does not solve the problem and 2) screw up my front end alignment. When at the dealer I was told that they moved the steering wheel not the tie rod ends which I think is BS!

Anyone out there know if my steering wheel can be set to 12 o'clock dead on?
If so how/where can I get this done best?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sounds like you need a wheel alignment . the steering wheel has a special spline that will only allow the wheel to go on in one position . To chenge the wheel position you do it thru adjusting both tie rods at the same time. some times sreering wheels and alignments are out right from the factory

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I had that problem on my last pickup. Unfortunatly it was not solved untill the front end wore out and I had it rebuilt. After that it was sweet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If I remember from working on a 69 Camaro I had, to correct the steering wheel alignment, you did it through the steering box. Or the steering wheel is pulled off and repositioned.

Can't say for sure on the SSR, I havn't looked. It would seem to be an easy fix for a certified mechanic.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,612 Posts
It took one wheel alignment (which didn't fully fix the issue) and one dealership tie rod adjustment to get my SSR's steering wheel centered.

I first received the BS that it's within spec and then I took the service manager on a test drive and showed him how left side of the steering wheel center was lower than the right side with the SSR going straight down a road (with no crown in the road - a rare find around here). That's when he agreed to adjust the steering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
steering alignment

Only way to center spokes is to adjust toe at the rack, alignment with a good computer machine in calibration will fix you up!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts