Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rear-ended in my SSR period is sustained damage to two of the rear cross members besides the exhaust and obvious body work. I'm wondering can the cross members be replaced or should I count my poor SSR as a total loss which I really really do not want to do. Thanks for your help everyone

·
Tech Support/Research
1,684 Posts
Rear Crossmember

Sorry to hear about the damage to your SSR. The rearmost crossmember that also contains the support for the trailer hitch insert is a bolt-in part that might be available from someone who is parting out a complete SSR. But since the SSR frame is basically a shortened version of that of a more commonly seen Trailblazer EXT/Envoy/Rainer, it would also be possible to bolt in the rear crossmember from one of those vehicles, recognizing that the hitch setup is different and would require modification of the SSR rear fascia if you want to restore the hitch capability. Other damaged parts near the rear of the frame like the spare tire diagonal crossmember could also be sourced from the same GM vehicles.

This is not the best solution relative to restoring the SSR back to original but could save it from being written off and totaled.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Like Snomuncher said the rear most is the trailer hitch mount and can be unbolted and easily replaced. The next rear most is welded in and also welds to the next one up. These look to be a formed piece of lighter metal over the main cross members. This also looks very much like those under the Trailblazer so that maybe easily cut off a Trailblazer from a salvage yard. The rear bumper maybe harder to find than the cross members. Check with Oldxr on here he has a parts car he is parting out and may have the parts you need.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Using the rearmost crossmember from the Trailblazer would enable you to use the commonly available and stronger trailer hitch, although it would mean altering the rear fascia, perhaps with a hinged licence plate.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
I have one available on my parts R. Black belt 70, would you care to become a member of this Forum? You’ve come to the right site for ALL your questions and needs! Only takes a few minutes and you can become a supporter as well.

OLDxR
Dane
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,392 Posts
Blackbelt70, Hate to hear about your bad luck! Welcome from Forney Texas!!! you have found the BEST FORUM ever! BUT-----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts