Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I stopped by my dealer for a second fix on the cruise control. It has been contrary and would not engage or stay engaged.

I was shown where the clutch switch is (just below the dash on the left is a small white plunger switch which is depressed when the clutch pedal is in the up position thus allowing the cruise to engage) The switch gets out of adjustment because of clutch action.

I think the switch could be safely taped with the plunger depressed without much risk. The rev-limiter would save your engine if you held the clutch down too long.

Any comments?

·
Registered
590 Posts
That would scare me, sure you leave yourself open to reving the heck out of your engine if you have a situation where you have to stop quickly(get cut off, somebody pulls out in front of you, etc).You will be too busy trying to steer, stop, plus shut the cruise off! That same(or similar) switch is used on all cruise control applications with standard transmissions and are not a problem..................I would try it they way it is designed and see if the problem reappears.

·
Registered
203 Posts
41chevcoe said:
That would scare me, sure you leave yourself open to reving the heck out of your engine if you have a situation where you have to stop quickly(get cut off, somebody pulls out in front of you, etc).You will be too busy trying to steer, stop, plus shut the cruise off! That same(or similar) switch is used on all cruise control applications with standard transmissions and are not a problem..................I would try it they way it is designed and see if the problem reappears.
I would not recommend by passing the switch either, but keep in mind as soon as the brake pedal is depressed the cruise dis-engages.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Calcustom said:
I would not recommend by passing the switch either, but keep in mind as soon as the brake pedal is depressed the cruise dis-engages.
:agree
As long as you push the brake pedal first before pushing the clutch pedal(if the clutch switch is by passed).It might be hard to remember this sequence in an emergency.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tested

41chevcoe said:
:agree
As long as you push the brake pedal first before pushing the clutch pedal(if the clutch switch is by passed).It might be hard to remember this sequence in an emergency.
I put a small piece of tape on the plunger and went out to test drive it. If you depresss the clutch pedal while the cruise is engaged, the engine will rev-up only 2500 RPM before disengagment. Looks like the computer monitors range of rev-up as well as setting levels.

I have decided to readjust the switch as it came from the factory. It has threads and a catch nut. However, if it continues to go out of adjustment, I will tape it and not worry about over-revs.

Thanks for the imput.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts