Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your theft system disarm when you turn the key in the door lock.

I think something is wrong with mine. It only disarms when I use the keyfob. If I use the key by it's self, the alarm sounds as soon as I pull the door latch. Which I seem to do if I am preoccupied when approchaing the door.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It is supposed to disarm when you put the key in the door lock. But in your case you should be happy that it doesn't. I was told by some really great car alarm expert, that if a theft jams a screw driver in the door lock and turn it, it would disarm the alarm.

That is why I put a second alarm on the truck to prevent that from happening.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Machell, but does yours blow the alarm when you only use the key?

What I'm trying to discover is if this is normal operation for all SSR's, or is the service manual wrong about it? While searching for other things, I ran across a diagnostic proceedure that seems to indicate that the alarm should disarm with just the key in the lock.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dingbat said:
That could create a major problem if the battery on the key fob died.
Only so long as it takes me to get the key in the ignition. I've done it. Many times.

Thanks all! I'll get a warranty claim going.

BTW, Somthing happened when I was washing it last Sunday. I suspect it is related. As I was wiping down the door with the wash mit, and my hand passed over the lock hole, I heard what sounded like the power latch cycling. Happened a couple of times. Come to think of it, when I turn the key the power locks do not jump up. The latch goes up only because of the mechanical connection between the lock cylinder and the latch. If this was working the way I now believe it should, one turn would unlock the drivers door, another should unlock the pass. door too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
alarm

If I unlock with the key, my alarms sounds. So if ive forgotten my fob, i have to psyche myself out, and act quickly to avoid all the "what a dork" stares.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,540 Posts
I tried this on my #602 this morning. If I arm the alarm (light on the dash stays on for 30 seconds and then goes out) and then try to unlock the door with only the key, my alarm starts going off.

I can only disarm the alarm with the key fob. The owner's manual certainly states that the alarm should be disarmed with the use of the key to unlock the door. Yet another thing to ask about tomorrow. :banghead

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,540 Posts
Can owner's that are stating that the "Content Theft-Deterent" (CTD) system works as the owner's manual describes confirm the following:

1) Start with the alarm system off
2) Close the doors on the SSR
3) Lock the doors using the key fob which should also turn on the dashboard light for the CTD system.
4) Wait for the CTD system light to turn off (after 30 seconds) which means the system is armed.
5) Insert the key into the driver's side door lock and unlock the door
6) Open the driver's side door

Did your alarm NOT start honking the horn at this point?

I need to know Year/VIN info for SSRs that behave as the manual states since mine (and all other 03s on the lot) behaved incorrectly. I need something to throw back at the service department and/or GM tech line to address this issue correctly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It must be a 2003 Thing.

I have a 2004 #5531 and it works just like my Owners manual states. "If a locked door is opened with the key, without the key, or without the remote keyless entry transmitter, the alarm will go off. The headlamps and parking lamps will flash for two minutes, and the horn will sound for 30 seconds, then will turn off to save the battery power." It sounds like some 2003's may have the 2004 system. :flag

·
Registered
110 Posts
It seems no matter what proceedure I follow, if I unlock the door without the key fob, the alarm sounds.

Even if I lock the doors using the console button, then unlock and open the door with the key, the alarm soounds. It appears as though my alarm gets activated when the doors are locked either way.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Alarm sounds if I unlock the door with key. Haven't read the manual, but from the threads it seems that if you arm the alarm from the remote you better diarm it from the remote.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Me, too

shiftz33 said:
Can owner's that are stating that the "Content Theft-Deterent" (CTD) system works as the owner's manual describes confirm the following:

1) Start with the alarm system off
2) Close the doors on the SSR
3) Lock the doors using the key fob which should also turn on the dashboard light for the CTD system.
4) Wait for the CTD system light to turn off (after 30 seconds) which means the system is armed.
5) Insert the key into the driver's side door lock and unlock the door
6) Open the driver's side door

Did your alarm NOT start honking the horn at this point?

I need to know Year/VIN info for SSRs that behave as the manual states since mine (and all other 03s on the lot) behaved incorrectly. I need something to throw back at the service department and/or GM tech line to address this issue correctly.
beer & shift,

I have an 03 and the alarm goes off (mine doesn't sound the horn, but the lights flash - probably the way my DIC is set) when I follow these steps. I can't do # 4 because I have replaced the stock head unit and now have no CTD light, but I waited 45 seconds.

Another strange...yesterday my wife calls to say the horn/alarm is going off on the SSR in the garage. Final diagnosis...she had dropped the keys to her SABLE and the "horn" button on the fob had been pressed. Her Ford key fob horn button sets off my Chevy horn. What are the odds. We tried it later to prove this is what happened. It is repeatable, every single time.

Now I am curious about whether the alarm will go off if I lock it with the top down and someone reaches in to unlock it. Living in Smalltown, USA, I sometimes leave the top down if I just go in for a minute. I would feel a little more secure knowing the alarm will sound if anyone opens the door without the fob. This "defect" might actually work better than the way the owners manual states for me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
On my 04 if you lock the system with the fob with the top down it does the following;
If you reach inside and pull the door handle it will do nothing. If you reach inside and lift the unlock button on the door and then pull the door handle it will set off the alarm button. I think this is the correct way for our systems to work.
Ken

1 - 20 of 20 Posts