Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!
I had the missfortune of having my cup holder broken by the salesman during my test drive in Roxy... We'll they of course agreed to fix it and set about ordering parts and such.. well the parts came in (was the whole side of the console) and they put it in and after buttoning everything back up they noticed that the slide for the cup holder is now horizontal instead of vertical.. Everyone began to freak out. "OMG they put it together wrong from the factory!!" was the cry most often heard. I suggested that there was maybe a redesign to keep the cup older from breaking so easily.
Well guess what, I was right. The new cup holder came in this week and sildes on the new piece (that was put together wrong from the factory) just perfectly and now I can finaly have a 20oz drink in a cup holder in my truck!
BTW this will also solve the pulling the whole damned cup holder out when you try to grab your drink thing :D

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Danny: I had exactly the same thing happen, and in fact covered it in a thread here back in February!

Jim G

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
cup holder

I had the rt. cup holder missing when I picked up my 05 , dealer replaced then this week I found it under the passenger seat . My question is what type of glue to use ?? thanks :seeya

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
What is it that needs to be glued? Can't be the cupholder. Unless the intnention is to modify an up/down for use as a rt/lft.

If I remember right the cupholder is made of abs. Depending on the fitup, MEK (methylethylkeytone) should work nicely to weld the parts together.

PVC pipe cleaner works well for ABS too. Might even be the same stuff.

BTW: I am NOT recommending that cupholders be glued to anything, except maybe the owners forehead. That would be ok! :lol

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Do NOT glue!!

If you do, and then break the mount accidentally, you will need to replace the enitre console side.

If you leave it unglued, there is at least a CHANCE that an accidental forward movement of the seat will simply slide the cupholder out of its mount, rather than breaking it.

If you glue it, and run the seat into it, it WILL break.

This is WHY GM changed it from a vertical to horizontal mount.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
need correct glue

I have both parts off ( cup holder bracket and bracket for Console ) will re glue both parts in the horizontal POSITION just like the passenger side I only wanted to know what type of glue to use . the bracket on the cup holder snaped off with a little help from a screw driver . will reglue it in the revised position :seeya

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
Do NOT glue!!

If you do, and then break the mount accidentally, you will need to replace the enitre console side.

If you leave it unglued, there is at least a CHANCE that an accidental forward movement of the seat will simply slide the cupholder out of its mount, rather than breaking it.

If you glue it, and run the seat into it, it WILL break.

This is WHY GM changed it from a vertical to horizontal mount.

Jim G
I KNOW THAT I AM NOT A DUMMY :seeya

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Furykay: Sorry! I didn't mean to imply anything about you! A lot of people, including the dealership service people at the first dealership I dealt with, didn't know the reasons behind what Chevrolet did with the cupholders.

Jim G

1 - 11 of 11 Posts