Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the new radio and rear view camera installed. I also moved the old R.V. camera to the right front wheel as a curb cam. The monitor is installed in the ash tray and I can toggle from front to rear wheel. The system comes on when I open the ash tray and goes off when closed.

The new rear view camera has active lines that curve when turning so that you can see where you will end up if you continue backing.

It also has a front camera that I installed just under the grille to see that curb as I am parking. Just touch the screen and it pulls it up. You can also access the backup camera while you are driving in case your rear view mirror loses power.

Jack

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
The new rear view camera has active lines that curve when turning so that you can see where you will end up if you continue backing.

Jack
Looks great Jack. My '15 Tahoe has that and it is fabulous.

How does your radio get information on the steering position?

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Input

Mike, my SRX has it too, that is why I wanted it so badly. It has no input from the steering like the Cadillac. Believe it or not, this thumb sized camera has a gyro in it that senses directional change. In the Cadillac the lines curve when you turn the wheel even setting still, with the SSr you have to be moving.
It is really neat. I don't know how long it will last, I will replace it immediately if it fails.

Jack

Reactions: RedlineRyder

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
Mike, my SRX has it too, that is why I wanted it so badly. It has no input from the steering like the Cadillac. Believe it or not, this thumb sized camera has a gyro in it that senses directional change. In the Cadillac the lines curve when you turn the wheel even setting still, with the SSr you have to be moving.
It is really neat. I don't know how long it will last, I will replace it immediately if it fails.

Jack
Your Cadillac and my Tahoe both have electric steering. There is feedback into the computer for steering position and the system calculates the curve based on an internal algorithm.

Regards brother..

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,398 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mounting

I mounted it just in front and above the tag with 2 small screws. You may have to clip the center section of the mounting bracket depending on how high you want the camera to view.

Jack

Attachments

Reactions: Curbsssr

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I got the new radio and rear view camera installed. I also moved the old R.V. camera to the right front wheel as a curb cam. The monitor is installed in the ash tray and I can toggle from front to rear wheel. The system comes on when I open the ash tray and goes off when closed.

It also has a front camera that I installed just under the grille to see that curb as I am parking. Just touch the screen and it pulls it up. You can also access the backup camera while you are driving in case your rear view mirror loses power.

Jack
:|
I note several guys "like" this post....(me too). It brings up a related question I have as to the upcoming Rallies e.g. Daytona and also Maggie Valley. Are there (vendors) that show up at these Rallies that are marketing/selling items such as this???

I've attended many, many Harley Rallies, and at the major ones, there are always vendors selling related stuff and many times having trained staff on hand that will even install the new parts/accessories, etc.

Or do we all come away from the Rally having seen each others "new stuff" and get home and get out the order pad and dig up the stashed mad money buried in the back yard.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
I mounted it just in front and above the tag with 2 small screws. You may have to clip the center section of the mounting bracket depending on how high you want the camera to view.

Jack
I assume the wiring trail is all underneath the truck?...

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,398 Posts
:|
I note several guys "like" this post....(me too). It brings up a related question I have as to the upcoming Rallies e.g. Daytona and also Maggie Valley. Are there (vendors) that show up at these Rallies that are marketing/selling items such as this???

I've attended many, many Harley Rallies, and at the major ones, there are always vendors selling related stuff and many times having trained staff on hand that will even install the new parts/accessories, etc.

Or do we all come away from the Rally having seen each others "new stuff" and get home and get out the order pad and dig up the stashed mad money buried in the back yard.:grin2:
Depends on the Rally and the person(s) putting it on. Many of the people you have heard from on this site bring things to sell and some will help install them. At the International in TX there was quite a bit of installation going on and a very energetic "swap meet" as well.

I assume the wiring trail is all underneath the truck?...
That is the easiest way to run the cable, on the inboard side of the frame rail and through a plug under the seat on either side, then under the carpet, etc. There are some cameras that are wireless with a monitor/receiver as part of the setup. I have used those on my trailers but the noise in the image can be an issue.

Reactions: Curbsssr

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wiring.

The camera comes with a 20' video cable. You wire the 12+ to the back up light wire. The cable also has an embed + wire in it so that if the radio needs a "trigger" to interrupt the radio to turn monitor to the back up camera.

I ran my cable inside a black corrugated wiring conduit using black zip ties. It makes for a very neat installation. Come in the plug under the passenger, under the carpet to the right side. Remove the door sill and right kick plate to bring the wire to dash.

Jack

1 - 14 of 14 Posts