Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tech Support/Research
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been planning a diecast project that converts a 1/18 scale Maisto 2004 "top down" SSR to a "top up" version. As a first step, I removed the roof from one of the blue Maisto 2000 Concept SSRs and converted that one to a "top down" version by fabricating a tonneau lid from ABS plastic. I planned to paint the lid blue but instead am leaving it black. Two photos of that truck are attached.

Time permitting, I'll next have to modify the roof I removed to fit the windshield header of the 2004, which has a different shape. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Nice!, I wish Chevrolet would have done the rear tailgate fender trim like that on the model. The way it goes over the tail lights is cool.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,462 Posts
Nice!, I wish Chevrolet would have done the rear tailgate fender trim like that on the model. The way it goes over the tail lights is cool.
autodan made one for his :purple: and I believe it is billet but he said it was a real challenge to line it up and keep it looking good. There is a good reason Chevrolet did not pursue that look.

·
Premium Member
9,355 Posts
Here's a couple of my custom diecasts.
I'll have the one on the left when you're done playing on the floor with it, Gordie.:grin2:

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,607 Posts
I'll have the one on the left when you're done playing on the floor with it, Gordie.:grin2:
Would it still work? It's not a Canadian Build 6 speed, like that wonderful rare ride of yours!

·
Premium Member
9,355 Posts
autodan made one for his :purple: and I believe it is billet but he said it was a real challenge to line it up and keep it looking good. There is a good reason Chevrolet did not pursue that look.
The rear crossbar made it to the pre-production prototype stage, but Bob Lutz hated it and told the designers to get rid of it. I think the SSR looks cleaner without it. It would have been a nightmare to keep the back end clean. Water would have dripped out of it for days after you washed the truck.

·
Premium Member
9,355 Posts
Would it still work? It's not a Canadian Build 6 speed, like that wonderful rare ride of yours!
I'm not that fussy. The auto stick will look just fine, and the speedo is too small to see the km scale - just put a thin red pinstripe on it before you deliver it.:)

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
Pretty sure Vette62 (Gary - Florida Stainless) offers that rear bar

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
add on

Pretty sure Vette62 (Gary - Florida Stainless) offers that rear bar
He does & if I could only have one upgrade option that would be it. It finishes off the truck. Especially if you have changed the hood emblem and cross bar to chrome.

bird

1 - 10 of 10 Posts