Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made a set of mold plugs for front and rear custom molded mud guards for the SSR. My plan was to make one set for my truck using a plaster one time mold and casting urethane resin.
I thought maybe there may be enough interest to make many sets of these and sell unpainted for the Fanatics. So I am trying to gauge interest here before making the investment in permanent molds.
My plan would be to make four silicone two piece molds that will have enough life cycle to make hundreds of casts.
I plan to use Alumilite Flex 30 urethane resin for the casting as it is strong, light, moderately flexible and paintable.
I have included a picture of the plugs for reference. They fit tightly to the lower fender contours and I would need to use existing fasteners and trim mounting tape to install, so they would be a semi permanent install.
I'm initially calculating $200 - $250 per set of four ready to paint to make this worth while as I'll need to sell almost ten sets just to break even. If you need yellow ones, I can paint them too but not other colors, probably add $100 to paint and clear two or four.
So, I'll need some serious interest before pulling the trigger on this. This is more of a cosmetic item so I know not all will be interested when they can get some $20 ones that do the same thing.
Look at the pic and let me know what you think. The grid on the table is 1" squares.
I may try to mount these plugs temporality on my slingshot just to take pictures and If I can accomplish that I will update the thread.
Blast away, let me know what you think!!!!!
Greg

Attachments

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,276 Posts
Greg, I'll definitely be interested in a front set, probably unpainted.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Greg, I would definitely be in for a set.

:silver::silver::silver:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Greg, What would it take to incorporate the SSR logo on these? If possible, it may make them more appealing and desireable. Just a thought. LAZY ONE

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greg, What would it take to incorporate the SSR logo on these? If possible, it may make them more appealing and desireable. Just a thought. LAZY ONE
Good thought, I'd have to carve it into the plugs. I'll have to try that on a piece of scrap and see how it comes out. Probably just on the rears.:smile2:

·
Registered
2006 Ricochet Silver B.O.D. 12/06/2005
84 Posts
Nice design, before I'd decide I would like to view with them mounted. I believe there is a good market for your mud flaps. If your price point is around $150 for an unpainted set, I probably would be interested.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,469 Posts
A bit pricey but I really like the idea of the SSR logo on the rears. If you find enough interest perhaps the price can come down a bit. I also would like to see them mounted. Running with side pipes I could really use some mud flaps so consider me very interested! ?

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I believe that a nice fitting set of mud guards would result in orders you would have trouble filling fast enough. Particularly if the price is $150. I for one would gladly buy them and I know a couple of other who would as well!

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would love to get the price down on these but they are very low volume and hand made.
There is not enough demand to justify thousands of $ for setup, molds and minimum of 1000 sets to get to that price point. I looked into getting these injection molded but the upfront charge was over $6000 and they need a minimum order of increments of 100, 500, 1000, 10,000 at different unit costs.
If these were for a F150, or Impala it might make sense and could get the price down to $150 a set if I had thousands made but that's not going to happen.

Consider the Fiberglass hood emblem support that sells for $135 ea. A set of 4 custom molded mud guards at $250 don't seem too bad.

At $150 I'd need to sell 12 sets just to cover my initial costs not including the material to make those 12 sets. Not trying to make much on these at all but I do need to cover my costs and a little for my effort.

I'll get the plugs painted and mounted on the truck for pictures to post and we can go from there.
Greg

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
When I first got my SSR, I told a friend in the NORCAL club that it seemed that almost everything you could buy for the truck was between $200 and $400!

It will be great to see them mounted on the truck.

I am sure that they will look a lot better than what I have now!!!!

Thanks for doing all the work to make these up.

$250 ain't a bad price for four of them. That's $50 each and $50 for you Right!:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you decide to pull the trigger on these, I can do the SSR logo's in adhesive vinyl for those who are interested.
That might be the way to go. I'm only going to make one set of molds.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.