1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
January 5, 2006

Email this Print this BY TIM MOLLOY

ASSOCIATED PRESS
LOS ANGELES -- What do you get when you cross "Pimp My Ride" with "Cribs"?

Something like the wilder offerings at the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show.

Automakers are taking cues from customizers, including those on MTV's car-makeover and celebrity homes shows, to design rides that feel more like living rooms or, in the case of one customized Chevrolet SSR, backyards.
The truck, tricked out by a southern California company and unveiled Wednesday, features a barbecue grill that folds out from the flat bed -- along with a refrigerator and 32-inch satellite television.

It's not even the most extreme example of a trend toward cars that feel like second homes. That would be a Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. concept car called the URGE, which lets drivers park and use the steering wheel and pedals to play video games. It is to debut Sunday at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

While the more whimsical features -- grills and video games -- won't be in showrooms anytime soon, an "explosion of the customization" has led some automakers to offer frills consumers once had to add themselves, said Larry Wu, who monitors emerging technologies for the marketing research and consulting firm J.D. Power and Associates.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060105/BUSINESS01/601050526/1014

Did anyone see the epidsode? I'm trying to find pics....no luck yet.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts

Hmmm....I wasn't fast enough, but I got the bigger picture :)

I don't know why they took a B&W picture

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I had better not put a tv in my SSR, I spend WAY too much time in the garage with it as it is now....:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts