Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still a wannabe but planning ahead. I see one member with a black SSR has no bar across the headlights and it looks more retro and better to me than stock. So, can the bar that ends at the middle of the headlights be removed, cut/shortened in the middle so the bowtie is gone and it becomes short enough so its tips end parallel/in line with the tips of the grille bars below it? Then can the shortened length top bar still be easily attached and its two parts connected well at the middle? Thnx!

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Danko said:
Still a wannabe but planning ahead. I see one member with a black SSR has no bar across the headlights and it looks more retro and better to me than stock. So, can the bar that ends at the middle of the headlights be removed, cut/shortened in the middle so the bowtie is gone and it becomes short enough so its tips end parallel/in line with the tips of the grille bars below it? Then can the shortened length top bar still be easily attached and its two parts connected well at the middle? Thnx!
I know the bar is removable, In fact it must be removed to change the turn signal bulbs. Are you sure what you saw was the bar removed? ot just re painted to match the body.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shortened

I am sure of nothing except a picture shown by a member who shows his black SSR with unbarred headlights and all front silver painted black and it looks GREAT and more like an old pickup.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
?????

Somehow, ya'll are trying to help with things that have nothing to do with my question. This latest still has the bar across the lights and the bowtie. What I would want would be essentially a top bar that matches the lower bars (with NOTHING over the headlights). Has anyone done this? I believe I have seen a small picture of a black SSR that has the top bar shortened and bowtie gone and the shortened bar is painted bodycolor. I want to know how that was done and what mounting issues, if any, there are with the shorter top bar.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ok Ok I'll tell.....

The bar can be removed.........and shortened and completly reworked.........My new bar is about done..........I'm doing more than just shortening it.......yes the Bowe Tie is gone It has been reduce in depth and 2 new holes drilled.......there has been work done behind the bar.......all the old bar mounts are gone.......and some mounts on the grill have also been trimed. and new mounts have been made..........but it's still not quite done.......when it is......I would like to make a mould from the finished bar and offer it as a kit.......just for those that like the retro look.... It's kinda hard to do this work in Ky.....as i have no shop here......and have done all the building of new parts......on my front porch....patio......and the bar in the kitchen......( My wife has threatened to through me out for the fiberglass smells I make.........so some of this may have to wait till i'm back in Fl....in early spring.........But am still planning on supplying rear spoilers from here in a few weeks.......:seeya

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thnx! I guess you told how to do it.......... Is there still something slightly intruding onto the headlights? It looks like some small spot on the inboard edges still.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Headlights.....

Danko said:
Thnx! I guess you told how to do it.......... Is there still something slightly intruding onto the headlights? It looks like some small spot on the inboard edges still.

********No, thats the way the headlights are made........:seeya

·
Registered
893 Posts
Headlights uncovered

wildcat66 said:
what did you do to the indention of the lights? Anything?

******* That's just the way there made........didn't change anything.........:seeya ps: and talking about uncovered......hummmmmmmmmm:rolleyes:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Huuummmmmmmmm

wildcat66 said:
cute huh? :) that is to help warm up those northern guys! :lol

********Doesn't do bad for us southern guys either.....Grrrrrrrrrrrrr:rolleyes: :) You wouldn't wanta help wax Baby Bear this after noon........I'm quit sure you wouldn't put any scratches on her in that getup..........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts