Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put lamborghini doors on my SSR. I talked to a large performance shop here in Michigan and they are not sure if it can be achieved due to the windows sealing when you close the door. They thought that they might be able to disable that function but i don't see how the window would keep the seal then.
Secondly, I want to add an airide suspension to it as well, they also do not know if any special fabrication is needed to add the airide. If anyone has done this or had it done could you please let me know what airide system you used and how you did it so i can pass it on to the shop.

Thanks

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,369 Posts
Wolf said:
I want to put lamborghini doors on my SSR. I talked to a large performance shop here in Michigan and they are not sure if it can be achieved due to the windows sealing when you close the door. They thought that they might be able to disable that function but i don't see how the window would keep the seal then.
Hmmm, the only way I could see this working was if you made the lock system primarily electronic with a mechanical backup for emergencies. The window timing would have to have delays and sensors built into the door to sense the operation. It would act like a keyless shaved door mechanism except for the delays in sequencing.

1. Opening - upon initial actuation of the door, window would have to retract before the unlocking of the door, maybe a 2 second delay.
2. Closing - I would probably put a 5 sec delay in for the window rollup just to make sure that the door was really closed properly. Either that or you would need to add a few sensors in strategic places that sense when the door is closed properly with a shorter delay.

Just my .02
:seeya

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
Wolf,

I don't think the need for the windows to drop should be an issue. Every Lambo style door I saw needs to swing out several inches before it starts to rise.

The window drop occurs as soon as you open the door handle. The door would need to continue swinging out before it can go up.

Rick418cars did a great air ride system on his car - you could PM him to see if he can get you more info.

Air Ride has a complete system available that is basically a bolt-in installation both front and rear. Compressors, lines and sensors, not so much a bolt on - require some work.

Have a look also at Dakota Digital - they have a great 2 1/8" gauge/control system that could be mounted by replacing one of the auxiliary gauges.

Ray

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
These type doors were really big at SEMA last year. As I reviewed the hardware, there was a lot of difference between the different offerings. Make sure you get the most robust hardware you can. Some of the stuff really looked questionable to me from a design and fabrication standpoint. Good Luck!

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,208 Posts
Doors and air ride

Air ride susnpensions has the best air kit available that I know of.

Every thing is included and bolts right in. Rick418cars can ansewr any further questions regarding the install, since this is what he has on Americano.

The Labo doors are cool. an option I too had thought about installing. when I contacted one company that makes these kits, they informed me they were universal kits. Being in the body shop and customizing business, nothing is universal. In other words they say" yes it will work on anything" what they mean is, we'll sell it to you and then you tell us what you had to modify to get our kit ot work on your vehicle, thenm tell you you should have sent it back.

T he idea is there, it just needs to be masaged and improved a little more.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,369 Posts
Hmmm, I would still think that there would be issue with hanging up on the weather stripping. Maybe for a show car that doesn't get used often it would be okay, I would worry if I used the door every day. I don't think I've ever seen an SSR with a lambo setup but it would be interesting to look at and see how it was done.

:seeya

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
I would rather see the SSR with Suicide Doors. I think that would look a hell of a lot more retro, and very fashionable.

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Focks said:
I would rather see the SSR with Suicide Doors. I think that would look a hell of a lot more retro, and very fashionable.
That would definitely be interesting....great idea.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
doors

Yeah after giving it some thought about the lambo doors i have decided against them. I think i might go the suicide doors route instead, it does seem to fit the old school hot rod design better. thanks for the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts