Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen quite a few pictures of custom storage compartments in SSRs. I would like to build something :smash that attches to the rails in the bed to prevent my scuba tanks from sliding around. I was wonding what have been used to attach things to the rails. How do they lock in to the rails? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
All you need is some 1/8" X 3/4" flat stock and cut some pieces about 7/8" long and drill and tap a hole in the center. I usually tap them for a 10-32 screw but you could probably go up to 1/4-20 if you wanted to. On the bottom rails you just slide them in and position them whereever you want them. On the side rails you have to pop out the end caps and then slide them in.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The bed bottom rails inverted "T" slots and use a threaded block slid in from the end to screw through the hard toolbox (2ea.) to hold them down OR a flat headed inverted screw will work to and put a nut on it. Mine also have a strap up the side to attach the same way there too.... I would make a plate for the tanks then attach that to the floor and side. have fun. I gave that up in the late fifties and still miss it!

Steve

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used two of the "D" ring tie downs that are part of the side mounting to hold a rug in place, one on each side at the back of the bed, which I had placed upside down over the bed rails. The "D" ring will slide into the bed rail slot. The rug was form Wal Mart and has a rubber backing that keeps thing from sliding around. A standard size fit just great and does a good jpb of protecting the Bed rails. Just another option hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
tie downs

All you need is some 1/8" X 3/4" flat stock and cut some pieces about 7/8" long and drill and tap a hole in the center. I usually tap them for a 10-32 screw but you could probably go up to 1/4-20 if you wanted to. On the bottom rails you just slide them in and position them whereever you want them. On the side rails you have to pop out the end caps and then slide them in.
Hope this helps
Used your idea for the tie downs. Looks and works great. Thank you.
John Walton

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Tie Downs

You Can Buy The Tie Down Kits
I Have Them They Come 4 To A Box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts