Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, pretty new here. I’m planning on buying an 05 in a few months.
My question is I see everyone talking about some of the problems they've had with the SSR, does anyone drive theirs as a daily driver? I put about 20,000 miles a year on my ride and don't want to buy something that I have to worry about after the 36,000 mile warranty runs out. All comments appreciated.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Jimmy,

Mine is a daily driver and then some. Have had ZERO problems with mine 12K miles since September. Don't let all the tink and whirring and phantom problems that some people talk about incessantly ad nauseum deter you from getting this awesome vehicle. It's a great ride.

Coz

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Mines a daily driver and I have had very few problems. I did get the extended warranty because of the retractable roof.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine is a daily driver, going on 10 months, and other then little minor issues it's been great! Especially on a top down :cool day like today in So. California.

·
Registered
631 Posts
2 Daily Drivers

Wife and I both have SSR's, 1 '04 and 1 '05. Had minor problems with the '04 early in ownership (door handle, fan) but both were corrected by dealer with no hassle, no questions. We bought extended warranty (7 yr, 100K miles) which is what we did with the Corvettes we bought in the past. Just good sense to do the extended. I drive 34 miles to/from work daily, plus cruise on weekends, grocery shopping, etc. No problems yet with the '05, and we both love both the SSR's. Do it - your biggest problem will be getting the grin off you face, followed by the inevitable questions you'll get everywhere you go. :seeya

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
mine's a daily driver - 04 I just traded off had 29,000 miles the new 06 has 650 - no major problems; just watch the overheating if you sit in traffic - love to look at all the people taking a 2nd look at me!!!:reddevil

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Nancy24 said:
mine's a daily driver - 04 I just traded off had 29,000 miles the new 06 has 650 - no major problems; just watch the overheating if you sit in traffic - love to look at all the people taking a 2nd look at me!!!:reddevil
I know the feeling mines an 06 Black Tie with 600 and something miles; purchased in November. Yep 2nd looks and always trying to catchup and give the thumbs up.:reddevil :reddevil :reddevil just can't help ourselves. Opps, it's not a daily driver right now, just off and on. No problems at all except trying to figure out what to customize a little.

·
Registered
413 Posts
drive mine every day have had it 2 years next week with no regrets Most fun vehicle i have ever owned

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fiveoh said:
Mine is a daily driver when I'm driving it that day...:thumbs
BOUGHT MY ALL OPTION 05 IN OCT. AS A DAILY DRIVER BUT THE THING IS SO MUCH COOLER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE.... I KEEP IT IN
THE GARAGE UNDER THE COVER WAY MORE THAN I PLANNED...

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
2 years yesterday, 36K miles. It is on the road EVERY day.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
It's been my Daily Driver for 14 months, now. It missed one day, the first heavy snow last year because I was positive it would be all sorts of squirrely on slippery streets. Boy! Was I wrong! It does great!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hypocohndriacs !!!!!!

Coz said:
Jimmy,

Mine is a daily driver and then some. Have had ZERO problems with mine 12K miles since September. Don't let all the tink and whirring and phantom problems that some people talk about incessantly ad nauseum deter you from getting this awesome vehicle. It's a great ride.

Coz
:agree :agree We have alot of hypocohndriacs in here......Their always looking for something wrong.....squeeks....rattles....and the beloved tinks and if they hear of some new problem....they think they've got it too......They talk about the big bucks the SSR costs.....and how it shouldn't do this and that.....This isn't any Cadillic:glol It's a SSR....Hot Rod Pickup......Get It Hot Rod........Many in here have never owned a true Hot Rod and don't know what that means.......It is a great ride, so buy, ride, and enjoy......:seeya

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Daily Driver

Buy It And Injoy It... I Did With All My Cars Even The Ones I Used To Show I Dont Own Trailer Queens. Drove My 1956 Nomad Every Day To Work And Showed It On Week Ends. 1955 Sedan Del. Chopped 4in. And Pro Steeted Had 33x21.5in Tires In Back.. Have Had Very Little Problems With The Ssr But Just Get The Extended Warrenty And Drive The Tires Off Of It.... Its A Great Truck I Drive Mine Every Day To Work I Work Two Jobs Has 9800 Miles On It Since Sept.. Go For It... All Of Us Here Would Love To See More On The Road Im Sure...:seeya

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,612 Posts
My 05 is my daily driver. I've had some issues with it, but nothing that would leave me stranded.

I'm what Whitewolf would call a hypocohndriac. I listen to the vehicle for strange noises and expect them to be fixed or at least find out what the source of the problem is. I've fixed a lot of small squeaks, rattles and leaks without any major effort.

A vehicle, as a daily driver, needs to be reliable. So far, my 05 SSR has been very reliable overall. The only "minor" issue that shouldn't have happened is the HVAC temp controls were not working and that made for a few cold days in the cab during December. That's been fixed and things are working quite well now.

I think you would enjoy the SSR as your daily driver, but with any vehicle purchase you should thoroughly check out the vehicle before purchase.

I've also been getting better than EPA rated highway mileage (EPA 19 but actual has been between 20 and 21 driving at CA freeway speeds too). :thumbs

·
Registered
33 Posts
Been There...Doing That

Jimmy, I'm pretty much a newbie too. I got mine,
with 6,000 miles, almost 3 months ago...and I've been kicking myself ever since.
**WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?!?**
Almost 10,000 miles and the only problem is the lack of time to run it more. It's almost bizarre how most of us have become attached to these things. "Daily" isn't even often enough. I'm going to run the wheels off this rig. They might be "worth something someday", but that's nothing compared to what it's worth to me "right now-everyday".:thumbs

1 - 20 of 22 Posts