Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my radio serviced (I'll post a write-up about that) which required removal from the dash of course. Following the Dash Removal instructions found in Dicktator's fantastic One Drive library, I was able to get the dash away from around the airbag without too much trouble. Re-installation however has proven to be far more difficult - to the point where I'm asking for help / opinions on how to proceed. Getting the dash successfully around the airbag seems to be an almost impossible task. I'm hoping those that have been able to successfully do so can share their wisdom and opinion on how to overcome this hurdle. I've done and considered the following:

1. Used soap around the airbag and airbag opening quite liberally.
2. Heated each corner (and overall airbag cover) with a hair dryer. I focus the heat on the area of the airbag I'm working to ensure maximum pliability.
3. I haven't, but I'm considering removing the lip as suggested in the Dash Removal instructions.

I was hoping to avoid removing the lip but I'm afraid if I don't I'll end up breaking / cracking something. To reinstall, I've focused on getting the driver's side of the airbag cover in first and then the passenger side. Using this process, I can get the driver's side in fairly easily, but there is no way to really get the bottom right side in. I've been using an appropriate / proper trim tool.

Love to hear people's opinion on this hurdle!

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,951 Posts
Great care has to taken in COLD weather, plastic dash doesn't like being moved, especially the dash vents.

If you break dash vent, they are like hens teeth to find!

Heating dash with hair dyer, which I don't use, or heat gun is good idea. Soap or silicone spray will certainly help.

Go Slow, Go Easy!

Instructions on my SSR How to Library:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Since you already have the dash face off, why not remove the air bag (four fasteners). The upper two fasteners are a little tough to get to, but doable. It makes taking the dash apart much easier in the future. You don’t need to cut the dash lip off or worry about warping the air bag cover.
There’s a lot of info on the forum about air bag removal. Here’s one of them: https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f114/passenger-airbag-removal-169201/

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Plastic kits available for dash and door removal are available and you can work the lip back into place. Don’t be afraid to use some strength either. The biggest worry is marring the plastic if you use metal. A butter knife with a bend in it might work as well. I say NEVER modify the airbag. My first dash removal took a few days but I removed the airbag and reinstalled it using wing nuts! I have removed the dash at least four times since and do not remove the airbag. Patience...it’ll all go back together.

Dane

·
Tech Support/Research
1,735 Posts
Instrument Panel Face Reinstallation

As Dicktator notes, the plastic materials of the instrument panel and airbag cover are susceptible to damage when cold. Personally I do not attempt this work at ambient temperatures less than 75 degrees. Less than that and I've found that the risk of breaking parts is higher and the amount of flexibility, especially of the airbag cover, which distorts quite a bit even when warm, is very low.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to give it another shot before modifying the lip or removing the airbag - more heat and more lubricant. I'm thinking working from left to right is the best way to reassemble? Starting bottom left to top left then bottom right to top right. The vehicle is garage kept and it is 60-62F out there now, so I do apply plenty of heat before trying to bend and massage it into place.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,735 Posts
Dash Reinstallation

I'm going to give it another shot before modifying the lip or removing the airbag - more heat and more lubricant. I'm thinking working from left to right is the best way to reassemble? Starting bottom left to top left then bottom right to top right. The vehicle is garage kept and it is 60-62F out there now, so I do apply plenty of heat before trying to bend and massage it into place.
I've done it both ways but have had best success reinstalling the instrument panel face from right to left, using a liberal amount of soap solution around the inner (left) side of the airbag cover and bending the cover out and over the lip in the instrument panel face.

·
Premium Member
2006 Automatic
881 Posts
The best (and only way, in my opinion) is to remove the dash airbag as Trucknrod suggested!

I did this with the help of the NORCAL club when I was living in California.

1. Open the glove box and turn off the passenger air bag. It is on the right side and you have to insert your key to turn it off. There are those who will say different things about how you handle airbags but I have found that this works without problems.
2. Remove the three 7mm screws in the bottom of the glove box door and remove.
3. Remove the two 10mm screws in the bottom of the airbag. Retain these as you will use them again.
4. Remove the two 10mm screws on the left and right sides of the front of the airbag. These are tough to get at but it can be done.
5. Now look up under the dash through the glove box hole on the left side of the hole and you will see a yellow connector for the airbag. There will be an orange retaining clip on the bottom of the connector. Slide this out and then use a screwdriver to push up on the yellow clip holding the two parts together. The plug part of the connector will come out to the rear of the truck and will disconnect the airbag.
6. Gently slide the airbag out of the dash and put it in a safe place.

You can then remove the dash face in the normal way.
When you reinstall the airbag you only use the two screws that are in the back of the airbag towards the front of the truck.

I have done this many times and can now do the process of dash removal in less than 20 min. I just did it yesterday to have my radio worked on. I don't want anyone else to try to remove the dash in my truck for fear that they will wreck the airbag cover. Except Dicktator and his merry band of SSR mechanics.

The beauty of this method is that you don't risk the airbag front by having to "weasel" the dash around it to get it off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I've got it all reassembled, finally. I believe it may just be too cool to flex the airbag cover through the hole in the dash even though I brought the interior temperature up to 80F with a space heater and used plenty of soap for lubricant. I ended up following Stiles Sport Roadster instructions above and also referencing the content in the library. I was able to get the top 2 airbag nuts off by using a 10mm deep socket and extension. Reinstallation went much easier and every thing is snug and damage free and with the top nuts left off, it will indeed be easier to work with in the future. It makes me wonder how this was assembled in the factory?

Thank you everyone for the input! I couldn't have been successful without y'all!

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,614 Posts
As they say---Try, try, and try again!!!! Glad you got it done

Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts