Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,570 Posts
Curious about a carpet change/upgrade myself.
Hi Rich,

About 5 years ago, I started communicating with an automotive carpet maker after talking with him at SEMA. I shipped him a complete carpet set and we had a plan for how to produce form-fitting molded carpet for the SSR. What stopped me at the time was my “non-recurring cost” of creating the molds necessary. It was going to take about 15 sets of carpet for me to reach “break-even” for my investment. I evaluated the SSR community need at that time and decided to spend my cash elsewhere.

Looks like it is time to re-evaluate......... We have had a number of flood trucks get rebuilt and carpets are continuing to get worn across the fleet........ Your thoughts?

Mike

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,839 Posts
Don't get GREY!! It reflects in Windshield, Can't SEE!!

Been there, done That!!

BLACK VELCRO is best.

Trying to save you some money and aggravation.

I have Dashmat in stock. Can get embroidered and sent to you.

Here are pictures of some I have had done.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,899 Posts
Want a grey dash pad, where do I get a good one?
And, has anyone had the carpet changed to a different color?

Thanks
Don and Anne J
Be careful about light colors, they tend to reflect and make it harder to see out the window on sunny days. Dark gray and black are good IMHO. I use Dashmat in my cars and have had good success.

Auto Custom Carpets (ACC) is one of if not the largest aftermarket automotive carpet manufacturer around. As Mike noted, they do not list an application for an SSR. What color are you attempting to change to?

Looks like all you need is a really large mold, some moist heat and learn how to sew.

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo, etc

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Hi Rich,

About 5 years ago, I started communicating with an automotive carpet maker after talking with him at SEMA. I shipped him a complete carpet set and we had a plan for how to produce form-fitting molded carpet for the SSR. What stopped me at the time was my “non-recurring cost” of creating the molds necessary. It was going to take about 15 sets of carpet for me to reach “break-even” for my investment. I evaluated the SSR community need at that time and decided to spend my cash elsewhere.

Looks like it is time to re-evaluate......... We have had a number of flood trucks get rebuilt and carpets are continuing to get worn across the fleet........ Your thoughts?

Mike
Hi Mike Not only flood trucks but also trucks that have had leaks from weather strips go bad or the sealing around them. The water will stain the carpet and if you leave anything metal on the floor you can get a rust stain pretty quick. I was lucky and found a nice used one for my 04 but it would be nice if an aftermarket was available. My 05 had the carpet cut for the gauges and someone got a little carried away. This is on the long list of sometime to repair or replace.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,570 Posts
Auto Custom Carpets (ACC) is one of if not the largest aftermarket automotive carpet manufacturer around. As Mike noted, they do not list an application for an SSR. What color are you attempting to change to?

Looks like all you need is a really large mold, some moist heat and learn how to sew.
Yes, you're right, Mike. It is ACC that I am working with. I have shipped them a good carpet set as a "donor" that will never be returned. They are going to take a mold off the donor set and then go through a prototyping process with me to get it all done. Once they have the mold made and I validate the installation is right, I can offer the carpet for sale and they will drop ship on my behalf. Please note that this process will actually require two separate molds, not just one....... The 03-04 driver's side is different than the 05-06....... My up-front mold investment will nearly be doubled.... This is going to have to wait until the first of the year before I can have that much cash available.

Mike

·
BAD BOW TIE
9,240 Posts
For those that don't fully understand the carpet install here are some pointers that were pointed out about a year ago.
1. To fit properly the carpet must be stretched over a form or frame to fit properly. The floor in your SSR is not a flat area like in your house. (Watch the video)
2. Those form fit carpets are all sold and out of stock now and you can no longer buy one.
3. The formed carpet fits perfectly and is put in loose so you can take it out or run wires under it later etc.
4. Custom shops say they can re-carpet your SSR but in order to get the proper fit they need to steam and fit it and glue it down to the floor as they go and never to be moved or removed.
5. Most folks did not want that to be the case.

What I have noticed over the years is the black carpet is sort of turning gray and not the vivid black it used to be. If Mike can get this going it will be a real asset to those wanting to replace their carpets. Thank you Mike in advance.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
One of the things I like about my dash mat is that it also serves as a temporary “filing cabinet“ for receipts, car show flyers, etc.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,899 Posts
Yes, you're right, Mike. It is ACC that I am working with. I have shipped them a good carpet set as a "donor" that will never be returned. They are going to take a mold off the donor set and then go through a prototyping process with me to get it all done. Once they have the mold made and I validate the installation is right, I can offer the carpet for sale and they will drop ship on my behalf. Please note that this process will actually require two separate molds, not just one....... The 03-04 driver's side is different than the 05-06....... My up-front mold investment will nearly be doubled.... This is going to have to wait until the first of the year before I can have that much cash available.

Mike
Good luck Mike. Sounds like a ton of work but I think it will be worth it in the end. Might take a few years to recoup investment but all should be good in time. I would have thought it easier that they would just get a carcass from a junk yard and make a quick mold or maybe 3D scan a loaner truck wtih the seats and console removed. Guess it is a little more old school there :)

·
SSR Believer
773 Posts
Hi Rich,

Mike
Boy, that's a tough call Mike. I think you can still create a forum poll to gauge some interest? You know your target demo probably better than almost anyone here. It seems like most owners have the discretionary income, so as always, it's a matter of finding the sweet spot ROI for you and the owners. You should also be able to interpolate poll results since sales should naturally extend beyond Fanatic owners to a broader marketplace with such a niche product.

Although I think most folks here love working on their Rs, I know the older I get the less prone I am to do the "big jobs" myself and I could be wrong, but the physical demands of replacing the carpet might be above my pay grade. So maybe it boils down to a few basic questions;

1. Would you buy a new set in the next X months? (Based on model year?)
2. Would you install them yourself or pay someone else?
3. What would you pay? (Multiple choice?)

15 sets doesn't seem like a big ask given the vehicle's age now. Or is that 15 sets each for '03/'04 and '05/06 for a total of 30? Either way, as time goes on demand will rise.

Our R's carpet isn't so much worn out as faded. It's most noticeable when I swap out the rubber floor mats for our new set of carpeted mats. Our R spent about half of it's life in and around Phoenix with the top down during the winter. I'd imagine folks in FL and other sunny places have the same issue and need. I'd stick with black, but if it's a special order/drop-ship it seems like most any color could be made.

Other's thoughts are right on target too. In the end it looks like there's a market now, but there's still some due diligence to be done before diving in... but I didn't need to tell you that. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I made my own carpeting for my 81 Corvette using automotive grade bulk black cut pile nylon carpet.
I made patterns with brown paper so I could use all flat pieces. I covered the sills, back panel and trans hump with flat pieces cut to fit with darts for the corners and bends so it laid flat. In some areas I had to glue thin carpet material on the floor under where the darts were where the floor may show through.
I glued the sill, kick panels, cargo area sides and back panel down over insulation padding leaving plenty for the flat floor pieces to overlap.. The floor on each side and the back cargo area were single pieces with a few darts so it laid flat was glued to the matting but not glued to the floor. I borrowed a heavy duty sewing machine and sewed vinyl binding around all the pieces before installation using red thread to match my seats and dash.
It came out great and looked very custom with the binding but it was a LOT of work and I wasted a lot of material having to re-do a few pieces. I probably have pics somewhere if I can find them. Molded sets were available but I wanted something custom and not plain solid carpet. A good upholstery shop could do the same for the SSR, it wouldn't be cheap but until we have an new alternative its the only option. If I had access to a SSR that was stripped inside down to the bare floor I could make some patterns. The SSR interior carpet looks fairly simple compared to what I had to do in the Vette.
Greg

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input.....
What I was thinking about is a different color carpet........

Hey Dicktator can we get an Ohio State logo on a dash pad? ;)
Go Buckeyes!

Don J

1 - 15 of 15 Posts