Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Chevrolet ssr 2004
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fanatics,

I'm looking for a new "dash vent" driver side for my SSR, can you help me please?
I don't find on ebay.com.
It's broken, I can't fix it.

Thanks,

Gael

·
Daily Driver
9,100 Posts
Looks like the ears are on the fin and just needs put back in place. Try moving it in place with a needle nose pliers.
But a couple of them aren't there and are probably inside the vent.
Dicktater has the whole method for removing the vent and reassembly online.
OneDrive
I had one that looked like that and was able to make it whole again which really surprised me.
Also check with Mike at Simple Engineering. Simple Engineering, LLC – Chevy SSR Aftermarket Parts, Accessories and Repair Solutions

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,193 Posts
there is a good chance the little buttons on the side are still intact and can be snapped back in place, also the center fin with the wheel is missing anis probably inside the vent. It may be repairable if that is the case but you'll need to pull the dash and remove it to repair. As stated in previous post check the DIY for dash and vent removal.
I have popped mine apart a few times when installing the dash after servicing the gauges and they snapped right back in if you are very careful.
Trying to find a usable vent is going to be tough! The center dash vents on an Olds Aurora are the same but not the right color and would need to be painted.

·
Daily Driver
9,100 Posts
I think you can remove and replace the vent without pulling the dash.

·
Registered
2006 Aqua Blur, auto
130 Posts
Check the Olds Aurora center dash vent. I believe they are interchangeable, but may not be in the same color.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,437 Posts
Yes the Olds Aurora is the same vent, but the majority of them are tan not black. Finding a used one from an SSR is probably easier than finding a black Olds one.

·
SSR Believer
2,289 Posts
Hang in there @Gael. You're getting some very good advice. There is a possibility that an aftermarket replacement may be available but it's still in the works so only time will tell. Although it's possible your vent could be repaired, it's dicey IMHO but might be worth a try. I had one repaired once, but it fell apart when I tried to reinstall it.

You could check with Cleveland Power and Performance:

As mentioned, Dicktator has a very good DIY guide for removing and replacing them. Look for "Dash Vent Removal":

FWIW, I had two vents that basically had no fins and two that were original. Bought four NOS from @cadiman and rather than risk damaging the new ones I pulled my dash to replace them all. Since I installed a new stereo a while back it wasn't as daunting as it was initially. If you take your time and follow all of the steps in the dash removal DIY in Dicktator's linked site, it's not that hard. Since the original vents are fragile as eggs, harder to find than hen's teeth and aren't cheap when they show up, I didn't want to risk damaging the new ones.

Also as mentioned, 1996 to 1999 Olds Aurora center passenger vents are the same style. I've seen blue and tan, but never a black one. I guess they could be painted, but I'd think that would really gum up the "mechanics". Doesn't seem likely you'll find many of those in Belgium anyway. ;)

If you do decide to pull your dash and you're lucky (like I was), your dash may have already been removed at some point. If so, it's likely that the biggest obstacle, removing the passenger airbag, may not be too difficult. It's out of Dicktator's DIY guide sequence, but try removing the glove compartment first and then (after following the guidelines about pulling the airbag fuses, etc.) removing the two lower bolts that hold the airbag in. I did that and it turned out the the two top bolts - the most difficult ones to get to - had already been removed. As soon as I took out the two lower airbag bolts it was obviously loose. That allowed me to easily slip the airbag out of the dash without having to pry it out first. A huge time-saver.

Another alternative that I've seen others do, and depending on the condition of your other vents, is to pull all of your vents, remove all of the fins and put them back in. Although you can only direct the air left and right, they don't look that bad. If you go that route and have a couple of "good" vents, you probably could sell/trade them for someone's broken vents. Win-win. Of course if your other vents or in good shape it would be sacrilege to ruin them. :)

Just a few thoughts. In any case, best of luck and hope your hunt goes well!

96 - 99 Olds Aurora Dash Vents.jpg

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Hang in there @Gael. You're getting some very good advice. There is a possibility that an aftermarket replacement may be available but it's still in the works so only time will tell. Although it's possible your vent could be repaired, it's dicey IMHO but might be worth a try. I had one repaired once, but it fell apart when I tried to reinstall it.

You could check with Cleveland Power and Performance:

As mentioned, Dicktator has a very good DIY guide for removing and replacing them. Look for "Dash Vent Removal":

FWIW, I had two vents that basically had no fins and two that were original. Bought four NOS from @cadiman and rather than risk damaging the new ones I pulled my dash to replace them all. Since I installed a new stereo a while back it wasn't as daunting as it was initially. If you take your time and follow all of the steps in the dash removal DIY in Dicktator's linked site, it's not that hard. Since the original vents are fragile as eggs, harder to find than hen's teeth and aren't cheap when they show up, I didn't want to risk damaging the new ones.

Also as mentioned, 1996 to 1999 Olds Aurora center passenger vents are the same style. I've seen blue and tan, but never a black one. I guess they could be painted, but I'd think that would really gum up the "mechanics". Doesn't seem likely you'll find many of those in Belgium anyway. ;)

If you do decide to pull your dash and you're lucky (like I was), your dash may have already been removed at some point. If so, it's likely that the biggest obstacle, removing the passenger airbag, may not be too difficult. It's out of Dicktator's DIY guide sequence, but try removing the glove compartment first and then (after following the guidelines about pulling the airbag fuses, etc.) removing the two lower bolts that hold the airbag in. I did that and it turned out the the two top bolts - the most difficult ones to get to - had already been removed. As soon as I took out the two lower airbag bolts it was obviously loose. That allowed me to easily slip the airbag out of the dash without having to pry it out first. A huge time-saver.

Another alternative that I've seen others do, and depending on the condition of your other vents, is to pull all of your vents, remove all of the fins and put them back in. Although you can only direct the air left and right, they don't look that bad. If you go that route and have a couple of "good" vents, you probably could sell/trade them for someone's broken vents. Win-win. Of course if your other vents or in good shape it would be sacrilege to ruin them. :)

Just a few thoughts. In any case, best of luck and hope your hunt goes well!

View attachment 596934
You can paint the vents from the Olds. I have found several and painted them and the mechanism works just fine. You just have to take Your time when painting..

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Hi Fanatics,

I'm looking for a new "dash vent" driver side for my SSR, can you help me please?

Thanks,

Gael View attachment 596869
Hi Fanatics,

Thanks,

Gael, if You can remove the vent, then look to see if the tabs on the side of the vanes are still intact. if so, You can gently slip them back into their positions. If not, I have aligned the vanes looking straight forward and Super Glued them into place. You may not be able to direct air flow up and down, but the Vent will look complete and work Side to Side and forward.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Hi Fanatics,

Thanks,

I am pretty sure by now You have read the directions for removing the Vent. If you are gentle with it, it can be removed and replaced without removing the Dash. Just don't get in a hurry and DO NOT pull on the Vanes themselves, just the frame of the vent. Using a plastic pry tool, lift from the bottom and gently push the vent into the Dash. Rotate it clockwise and the Top should clear its' recess and allow You to pull it from the Dash slowly. Your Center vane is most likely lying in the void behind it. Those Little tips on the vane sides are so easily broken, not a good design by GM.. I have a few Vanes that I have had to Super Glue into place, no up and down movement but they look good and still blow front and You can swivel them side to side.

·
Premium Member
Blown 2003 No. 2924
920 Posts
Once you pull the SSR vents completely out of their mounts on the back of the dash face they are all the same and can be moved to any of the four positions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts