Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 SSR 6 manual speed. I live in Barcelona/SPAIN and I can ´t drive this car in my country because went I start the engine all the lights go on and I can´t turn off by any way. Please if someone can help me how I can do this I will be very gratefully.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Driving in Spain

You are restricted to driving at night time. :banghead
You could pull the connections from the headlights, for daytime driving, but that may short out the entire lighting system. Try it once.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
Two solutions
First, after you start the car pull up slightly on the emergency brake. This will turn the daytime lights off.

Second solution which might be better for you is to go into the fuse panel and remove the fuse labeled Daytime driving lights. That fuse is only for those lights and wont effect any thing else.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,650 Posts
Amber Vs. White

dingbat said:
Two solutions
First, after you start the car pull up slightly on the emergency brake. This will turn the daytime lights off.

Second solution which might be better for you is to go into the fuse panel and remove the fuse labeled Daytime driving lights. That fuse is only for those lights and wont effect any thing else.
I wonder if there is a way to just use your amber running lights (turn signals) lights instead of the white running lights. (without turning them on manually) GM uses amber running lights on a lot of their vehicles which to me looks a whole lot better than white!

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
dingbat said:
Two solutions

Thanks dingbat! I hate having mine on. Now that I know how to shut them off they will be eliminated :thumbs

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
dingbat said:
Two solutions

That's what the manual says; and it works too.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I actually like the daytime running lights. I wonder why SSR-Barcelona thinks you can't drive in Spain during the daytime with these running lights on (which, to my understanding, comprise dimmed headlights only, no tail- or side marker lights). I would think that the European traffic laws would favor them.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
hotrodgirl said:
Thanks dingbat! I hate having mine on. Now that I know how to shut them off they will be eliminated :thumbs
The only problem I saw with this is that you have to do it everytime you start your vehicle.

I used to turn the parking lights on every day (which turn the DRLs off too) but after a while I just forgot to do it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I removed the drl relays. I believe they were located in the rear fuse box. NOW, has anyone defeated the auto lamp feature yet? It appears from the shop manual that it can probably be done only by jumping the wires which go from the body control module to the ambient light senser and I haven't gotten ambitious enough yet to do so,

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Add two switches

There must be a point where we can put a "DRL Disable" switch in one of the wires to turn off DRL and another point for a "Lights Off" master override to turn off all lighting. I don't have my Service Manual with me today and will research it tonight if no one else finds it first.

On a separate note to SSR Barcelona - You must order a set of factory Service Manuals for your truck from Helm Inc. They are an absolute necessity for someone who owns an SSR and does not live in the USA. Helm is the GM authorized publisher of the official service manuals. They are about $130 US for the set.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=

Best Regards,

Mike

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
There must be a point where we can put a "DRL Disable" switch in one of the wires to turn off DRL and another point for a "Lights Off" master override to turn off all lighting. I don't have my Service Manual with me today and will research it tonight if no one else finds it first.

The DRL switch should be real easy. Just find the wire coming off the fuse for them and splice a switch into the line. Since they are on a seperate fuse it would be very easy.

As for a master override that may need some relays or multi-pole switches to do that. You would probably need a detailed wiring diagram to map that out.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Yeah Dingbat,

The DRL switch is pretty straightforward. The master off switch is where wingrider could help...... My background is aircraft electrical systems and reading the schematics in my manuals is no problem, but I would rather have an experienced tech weigh in on this. Concur?

Mike

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank You Guys, But We Tryed Removing The Fuses And Relays And The Lights Steal Go On. I Think That The Problem Is That The Drl´s In Manual Transmission Works Different Thant The Automatic. With The Hand Break Down But No The End I Can Drive The Car But If A Take Some Bump The Hand Brake Go Down And The Lights Come Back.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
Are you sure you are removing the correct fuse. There is one in the panel behind the passenger seat that is marked. If the correct fuse is removed basic electric principles say the lights can't come on.

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the ambar and whitte lights I haven´t problems, it´s easy to change to european laws. Thank you for your ideas.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
SSR-Barcelona said:
Thank You Guys, But We Tryed Removing The Fuses And Relays And The Lights Steal Go On. I Think That The Problem Is That The Drl´s In Manual Transmission Works Different Thant The Automatic. With The Hand Break Down But No The End I Can Drive The Car But If A Take Some Bump The Hand Brake Go Down And The Lights Come Back.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly, but I'm pretty sure that you pull the hand brake up and then put it back down, the DRLs turn off. If you pull it again and put it down again, the DRLs will go back on. The DRLs will go back on everytime you start the truck too.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts