Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just over 2 weeks away, so I thought a reminder would be a good idea.

Date is set for September 17th with rain date of the 24th. Just cross our fingers that it doesn't rain both days! I've put together a list of places we can visit.

1) Wolfgang Candies in York
2) Wilbur Chocolate in Lititz
3) The Sturgis Pretzel Factory also in Lititz
4) Hershey Chocolate World

HCW is open till 8, while the other venues are only open till 5, so that kinda means Hershey can go last.

As far as scenic travelling, for us coming up from the DC area, it's unfortunately highway. From York to Lancaster (and then up to Lititz), I know of plenty of alternate non highway routes, but it's pretty suburban regardless. However, from Lititz to Hershey via 322 is a really nice scenic drive - forests and open farm land in abundance.

For the DC area, I've chosen the McDonalds at the Calverton/Beltsville exit (MD rt 212) on I-95. Exit 29B (ironically the same number for the OC cruise). We'll meet about 9:30AM, hopefully leaving there around 10AM.

If anybody from PA would like to meet up with us in York, please let us know in advance. If we hear you'll be joining us, we'll stop for a break at the CVS at George St and Rt 30 (Arsenal Rd). We should arrive between 11 and 11:30AM. It's at the first traffic light westbound on Rt30 from the I-83 interchange (Exit 21B). If you're coming from the north on I-83 south, use exit 22 and it will put you onto George street 1/2 mile north of Rt 30 (there is no exit 21 going southbound). We'll hang out there briefly to wait for everybody to show up, then head on over to our first stop at Wolfgang candies.

From there, the schedule's flexible. We're only constrained by the 5pm closing time of the Wilbur factory and Sturgis pretzel factory should we end up doing both.

After our stop in Lititz, we'll be heading to Hershey. There are a few small cafes in the Hershey Chocolate World building that we could choose to have a dinner at, or stop at a local restaurant on the way.

Be sure to bring a cooler to store any perishables in! I'm sure we can stop and get ice from a local convenience store should someone forget. You may also want to bring some ziploc type bags. My trip to Homecoming resulted in my bag of Wilbur buds getting submerged in melted ice. Totally ruined them. :cry

Hope to see you there! :thumbs

·
Registered
255 Posts
We'll NOT be going

Kevin,

UPDATE (9/12/05):

Debbi and I have the opportunity to stay at a friend's place for OC bike week this year so we're going to go there instead of the Chocolate factory Run.

Only if it rains on Friday would we probably cancel the OC run as that's the day we're going to ride my motorcycle there. We wouldn't go in the rain.

So, as of now sorry we won't make it. If your Chocolate factory run gets cancelled because of rain too, I don't see anything stopping us to go the next week (9/24) that you have planned for in case of rain.

Carl & Debbi.

Debbi and I have decided to go cruising with the SSR to the Chocolate factory rather than go to OC bike week this year.

We'll see you at McDonalds.

Carl

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm in. Wife copilot. I'll Private email you my Cell phone # if you'll give me a ring when you hit 695 I'll be waiting @ the Padonia Rd. entrance on 83N.

·
A Little BIG JIM
3,351 Posts
Chocolate Cruise

I will be out of town for most of the week will be back late Thursday night (15th)
guess the cruise is still on?
:ssr :thumbs

·
Premium Member
31,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still on - pending mother nature.

As it stands now, we're still a GO for Saturday. Current weather predictions call for a chance of rain on Thursday, but lets cross our collective fingers and hope that's all it does.

·
Premium Member
31,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Almost forgot...

I have discount coupons for Hershey - for the chocolate world 3D experience (and for the park, but we'll be there for sweets, not rides - we got those already! :) )

·
Registered
255 Posts
We'll not be going

Kevin,

In case you miss this, in my change from my previous message here it is again.

UPDATE (9/12/05):

Debbi and I have the opportunity to stay at a friend's place for OC bike week this year so we're going to go there instead of the Chocolate factory Run.

Only if it rains on Friday would we probably cancel the OC run as that's the day we're going to ride my motorcycle there. We wouldn't go in the rain.

So, as of now sorry we won't make it. If your Chocolate factory run gets cancelled because of rain too, I don't see anything stopping us to go the next week (9/24) that you have planned for in case of rain.

Carl & Debbi.

·
Premium Member
31,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keeping fingers crossed

As it looks now, they say a 30% chance of isolated showers/storms for Saturday (that's for both local and up around York). However, the extended forecast paints a bleaker picture for next weekend. But, it looks like they're calling for those storms towards evening hours.

Those of us that went to homecoming/Woodward ended up having to tolerate the rain up there, so I'm still planning to go. That is, unless it's still raining steady when we'd be planning to leave (9-10AM timeframe). I'll live with a brief shower if it happens, but continuous rain just sucks.

Hope to see you all there tomorrow.

:seeya

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
Head Count ???

How about an SSR count instead???? :lol
As long as it isn't raining, we are going!!!!!
Hey, MidnightRider, are you still out there? Are you still going with us?????
:seeya

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
1,678 Posts
Sorry , working

I'll be working double shifts up until Wednesday,next weekend I'll have 4 days off,Sat thru Tuesday. Chris Bellis

·
SSR-FFL Commissioner
2004 Smokin Asphalt
491 Posts
Hello all.
Sorry I won't be able to make this run. I have spent several very stressful weeks dealing with the purchase of a condo. I had the opportunity to purchase the unit that I am currently renting, but while discussing that purchase with my boss he connected me with a friend of his who was about to list another unit in my building. I eventually was able to purchase this unit even after the seller attempted to back out of the deal 2 days before settlement. The process of purchasing a home is something that had not crossed my mind several weeks ago but I guess timing is everything.

Have a safe trip tomorrow, take lots of pics.

Brian

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Birth Place

Hey everyone have a great time! Enjoy the fresh aroma of chocolate at Hersey Park.
PA was my birth place (Wilkes Barre). Senery is beautiful!

Have a Hersey Kiss on me!!!!! :thumbs

Enjoy and Be Safe!

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
DC/Pa Chocolate Run

Sure looks like a SWEET RUN :seeya Kay :ssr

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Flash and Wave

:cool :cool :cool

For all of you on the Chocolate run I was the one in the Yellow/Red SSR who flashed and waved at you on I-83 south of York.

:seeya :seeya

I saw your plans on the site for the run and would have gone, but had a wedding to attend in Salisbury MD. My travel plans took us on I-83 but was not sure if our paths would cross because of traffic or delays. Maybe next time.

I worked at Hershey foods way back when. I was a certified Chocoholic....still am.

:cool :cool :cool

:thumbs

·
Premium Member
31,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool

We were wondering who it was. We all recognized the red stripe, but couldn't put a name to the SSR.

:seeya :seeya

We had a great time... weather held up too. Only a few clouds later in the afternoon. I didn't take many pictures, but Big Jim sure did. Hopefully he'll be posting some up soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts