Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled in the garage this morning, put it in park and turned off the key. The car starting rolling backward as I was getting out of the car. I got back in the car and tried to start the car with the key (nothing). I tried to shift out of park but the gearshift won't budge. I pushed to car back into the garage and put on the emergency break.

Any thoughts would be helpful

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
4,393 Posts
@HALSSSR
Shifter cable grommet has come loose. There is a repair kit and information for the transmission side available at the simple engineering website. The upper connection in the console is serviced by replacing the grommet which should be available at most autoparts store.

Search the forum for shifter cable repairs. Lots of threads and posts on this.

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,571 Posts
If you pull the shifter plate off to check the slide you might as well replace the upper grommet that connects the shifter cable while you have it apart and also replace the lower one with the proper replacement bolt from Dicktator. Doesn't matter how many miles you have on your truck the plastic becomes hard and brittle over time and will break, had mine replaced as a preventive measure with 32,000 miles on the truck it looked good till we tried removing it and it fell apart. Anybody out there who has niot at least replaced the lower one by now is just rolling the dice till it happens.

·
Registered
2003 SSR redline red, "Tupperware" bedliner
288 Posts
Does your truck have simple-engineering shift repair kit?
Since it sounds like you're saying it doesn't crank, evidently the transmission is NOT in park because the shifter cable is disconnected, therefore, no crank.
Mike's kit is easy to do. A temporary fix is a large zip tie just to get it shifting and starting.
Go to simple-engineering.com for his shifter repair kit.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Sounds similar to problem I had the other day. I opened the cargo bed lid and noticed the light was dim. I got in put my foot on the brake [it did not feel right] turned the key to crank the SSR and nothing. Tried to turn the key to the off position and could not go past the acc position which also meant I could not remove the key. Tried to move the shifter to make sure it was in park, and it would not move. I had just started using a device that plugs into the acc outlet on the dash to allow me to connect my phone to the radio by Bluetooth. I always turn if off when I get out but noticed several times it was on when I got in the SSR. Put a charger on the battery and everything seems to be OK now.
May want to check the battery voltage.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
14,495 Posts
NOTE: Key “Stuck”!! Why? Battery low!
Brass colored button is release solenoid for key.
Located next to key tumbler.
IF battery is low or you can't get key out, lower bottom half of steering wheel cover, “PUSH IN” brass button.
Key is now released

Won't shift out of park? Lift shift cover, passengers' side round silver button, push/hold take out of Park.

IGNITION SWITCH INSTALL 82019.pdf - Microsoft Word Online (live.com)

PARK SOLENOID FIX 82019.pdf - OneDrive (live.com)

BATTERY CABLE FIX 82019.pdf - Microsoft Word Online (live.com)

On my SSR How to Library: New folder - OneDrive (live.com)

Ignition switch MUST see 9 volts for R to start!

How to Library is free, 109 presentations with pictures but I can't make you look and read.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
4,393 Posts
His no start is due to it not being in park or netrual
Totally agree that shifter slide could be at fault. But this would not cause shifter be in park while the transmission is not in park.
This indicates problem between shifter and transmission.
The linkage that came loose may now be in a bind to prevent shifter movement.

Yes, ignition switch or low battery could cause stuck key.
So try to turn on headlights manually, if their bright not a battery.
Check for voltage at IGN O fuse #47 rear fuse box, key on. If 12 volts at this fuse look elsewhere.

It costs $0 and no special tools, to inspect shifter connections and not much time.

Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,515 Posts
Also, his post #1 does not say anything about the KEY not coming out or it being stuck. That was post #7's issue. @Hal's SSR can clarify that.

Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts