Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery seems to go dead about every 2 weeks if I don't drive my 05 SSR ( I know that's silly). The dealer told me that the computer on board was causing that to happen. Is any one else experiencing the same. Perhaps I am just getting the run a round from them.
Thanks,
BLURSSR

PS We had a great group of folks at Laughlin. Thanks to all!

:ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :flag

·
OP
8,225 Posts
alternator

Does not sound right to me. Have dealer check your alternator to make sure it is charging your battery. Next, check battery for dead cell.
Their is a TSB on replacing the alternator due to WOT squeel, it could be your alternator went out due to this, should all be covered under warranty.
Good Luck

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
[QUOTE="Scotty" Scott]My battery seems to go dead about every 2 weeks if I don't drive my 05 SSR ( I know that's silly). The dealer told me that the computer on board was causing that to happen. Is any one else experiencing the same. Perhaps I am just getting the run a round from them.
Thanks,
BLURSSR

PS We had a great group of folks at Laughlin. Thanks to all!

:ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :flag[/QUOTE]

I have a Camaro that will drain the battery in 3-4 weeks if I don't start it. I just bought a Solar charger to put in it to keep it topped off....just put it in yesterday. In 3-4 weeks I will see if it was worth the money.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Find a different dealer, call chevrolet's 800 number and get a customer # on this problem. Why wouldn't they just check these things for you!!!!:banghead!!!!!

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,204 Posts
Not Normal

[QUOTE="Scotty" Scott] battery ....dead about every 2 weeks if I don't drive my 05 SSR..... The dealer told me that the computer on board was causing that to happen........Perhaps I am just getting the run a round from them.
Thanks,
BLURSSR

[/QUOTE]

You're definately getting the run around from them. I can leave mine for two months and then go start it and its fine.

Sounds like their service is clueless.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I thought this was normal because my Avalanche does it also. Leave it two weeks and its dead.....

Time to drive to Louisville and find a new dealer...

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had exactly the same problem, they changed the battery and now it is fine. The battery would hold a surface charge but would not take a deep charge. If I would leave the door open for 10 minutes the truck would not start, or like you said let it set for a few days and it would not start.

[email protected]@D LUCK

·
Registered
579 Posts
Try Charging the Battery

:ssr My SSR was doing the same thing. I purchased a battery charger from Pep Boys for about $30.00 and fully charged the battery. I have not had a problem since. I think that some of these SSR's sat for a long time prior to purchase and the batteries died. The dealers jump started the vehicles and drove them around, but the trucks never were able to absorb enough energy to fully charge. Fully charging the battery might help. Also you can charge the battery from the ports under the hood. You do not have to get the battery from under the truck (where it is located). Also the charger can check your alternator to see if it has a problem.

Hope this helps.

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem with my SSR, dealer load tested battery and checked charging system, everything was okay, they gave me a Chev bulletin that said that the SSR must be started every two weeks to ensure veh would continue to be in a "ready to start" condition.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Sure sign battery is dead.....

....when you open the door unprepared and the window does'nt index down. Its been garaged since November and last sat and started it up about a month ago.

I just opened the door like I normally do and thought I damaged the window as it barely cleared the rubber seal. Scary:eek. After a boost every worked fine.

Note to self: next time open door slowly, leave window down an inch when parked in garage or better yet go get trickle charger:yesnod

Frank

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mine is a '04 and has 6k miles on it. Battery issue's also. After 2 weeks dead. Had it checked out from end to end. Guess you have to drive it more. My C5 Vette...no issues what so ever, can sit for 3 months and Vrooom. If anyone knows what the fix is let us in on it. Greetings, Rob

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,400 Posts
Mine is a '04 and has 6k miles on it. Battery issue's also. After 2 weeks dead. Had it checked out from end to end. Guess you have to drive it more. My C5 Vette...no issues what so ever, can sit for 3 months and Vrooom. If anyone knows what the fix is let us in on it. Greetings, Rob
Battery Tender. About $20 and Pep Boys. Plug it in if you don't plan to drive it for a week. Time flies when you are not thinking about it. Just make sure you make the connection such that you can't forget to unplug it. I have to walk past the cable to get in the driver's door.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
i can test it

give me your R for 6 months. I can test it in various conditions - drive it every day, every other day, every 2nd day, every 3rd day - I can then tell you when it won't start. Perhaps could take longer.

I'd even be willing to replace battery after 6 months and start again with the tests.

Sound like a plan?

>>>Rod<<<

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,659 Posts
Battery Tender. About $20 and Pep Boys. Plug it in if you don't plan to drive it for a week. Time flies when you are not thinking about it. Just make sure you make the connection such that you can't forget to unplug it. I have to walk past the cable to get in the driver's door.
Excellent advice, BlueStreak.

The original battery lasted less than three years so after it was replaced under warranty, I splurged for a Battery Tender Plus with the optional AUX plug and extended cable. Since the cable drapes over the door sill to the plug below the ashtray, hopefully, I'll never take off while hooked up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my 2004 SSR and had the same problem.

A new battery solved it. This 2010. They don't last forever.

My chop "Tech Center Auto Electric" found the battery easy enough, Run the SSR up on a hoist and unbolt a box near the rear axle.

Not so easy in your driveway!!

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
After all this talk about battery tenders, I advise checking the easy stuff. You'll have to crawl under the truck unless you can borrow someones lift or know someone with a drive over storm shelter in their garage.

Check the battery connections. Mine were slightly corroded--just enough to not let the weak battery power through to start the :yellow:

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
10 Posts
....when you open the door unprepared and the window does'nt index down. Its been garaged since November and last sat and started it up about a month ago.

I just opened the door like I normally do and thought I damaged the window as it barely cleared the rubber seal. Scary:eek. After a boost every worked fine.

Note to self: next time open door slowly, leave window down an inch when parked in garage or better yet go get trickle charger:yesnod

Frank
Good point on the window with a dead battery.

Another point is that if the battery is grave yard dead, the key will not release from the ignition. There's a solenoid release involved. I just about died when it did that to me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts