Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Talk to a dealer in Illinois today and he was not giving the same price that was indicated on the Red Tag on GM Buy.com. The MSRP was 48,--- and the Red Tag was 40---. Then they tried to say that the Red Tag was 45--- and that the 6000 Cash allowance was already figured into the Red Tag Price of 40--- that was shown on the GM Buy.com site. I told him that the Cash Allowance of 6000 was not part of the Red Tag 40---. When he did his figures he could not even get his numbers to come out to what he was trying to say. I told him at his price he will still be sitting on it for the winter.

I guess the Red Tag stuff online at the GM Buy site is just a sham to the dealers. I'm going to be calling some more dealers on Wednesday and see what they say. I kind of figured the Red Tag sale was too good to be true. You are suppose to be able to sutract the 6000 cash allowance from the Red Tag Price.

This is why the Craft Center is sitting dormant.

·
Registered
178 Posts
SS My R said:
Talk to a dealer in Illinois today and he was not giving the same price that was indicated on the Red Tag on GM Buy.com. The MSRP was 48,--- and the Red Tag was 40---. Then they tried to say that the Red Tag was 45--- and that the 6000 Cash allowance was already figured into the Red Tag Price of 40--- that was shown on the GM Buy.com site. I told him that the Cash Allowance of 6000 was not part of the Red Tag 40---. When he did his figures he could not even get his numbers to come out to what he was trying to say. I told him at his price he will still be sitting on it for the winter.

I guess the Red Tag stuff online at the GM Buy site is just a sham to the dealers. I'm going to be calling some more dealers on Wednesday and see what they say. I kind of figured the Red Tag sale was too good to be true. You are suppose to be able to sutract the 6000 cash allowance from the Red Tag Price.

This is why the Craft Center is sitting dormant.

If there is not a red tag hanging from the inside mirror with the vin # of the vehicle then my guess is that they may not be a participating dealer.

Also there are some instances where Corvettes, SSR's, and some selected vehicles (Duramax HD Diesels) are not included. It is at the dealers discretion. So before you start talking about shams and such you should offer a bit more information like: Did you visit the dealership? Were you one of these over the phone shoppers that want an out the door price without walking in the door? Did you want to include a trade and over the phone ask for Blue Book value for a vehicle the dealer has never seen before?

Working for a dealer has been a big help to my family and friends because I can tell them the best way in which to purchase and how to get the best price with the least amount of haggle. If anyone needs some insight PM me and I'll help all I can. But you MUST be realistic. Go at a dealer with that "I know more than you" attitude or that "You're ripping me off" vibe and you will lose every time and have a crappy experience. think of it this way, you're purchasing a 30k-40k high ticket specialty vehicle that there very well may be more than one at every Chevy dealer in your town. (there's 13 Chevy dealers in my town alone) Feel free to shop for the best deal but the dealers (like every business in America) is out to make a profit and trust me that's how the employ people. Always ask this, what makes any customer so special that a dealer needs to lose money on a deal.

Just food for thought.

Coz

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Coz the dealer was marked on GMBuy.com as a Red Tag vehicle for sale. I think I"m very realistic. I'm sort of new at this. Just looking for a straight up dealer who has what I want.

2006 HHR Black, 2lt loaded, running boards, spoiler xm the works.
2004 350 Z Black
2004 Infiniti, QX56 Black loaded

I'm new at this seeing as how I'm retired and in my early fifties. If I wanted to bash the dealer I would have mentioned his name.

In Illinois alone there are about 210 Chevy dealers, give or take one or two that close evry year or so. I'm sure I'll find one that'll have what I want and be straight up with me. If the dealer I bought my HHR from had one I would get my SSR from him. I'm in Chicago and it's dog eat dog with a lot of dealers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
SS My R said:
Coz the dealer was marked on GMBuy.com as a Red Tag vehicle for sale. I think I"m very realistic. I'm sort of new at this. Just looking for a straight up dealer who has what I want.

2004 350 Z Black
2004 Infiniti, Black loaded

I'm new at this seeing as how I'm retired and in my early fifties. If I wanted to bash the dealer I would have mentioned his name.
My Mom is in her early 60's and just bought her first car by herself (Dad passed 11 years ago) She's only been driving for 11 years and I habndled her first car purchase. This time around she wrote down what I said, followed it to the T and got an unbelievable deal on a new 06 Honda Accord for just about dealer cost.

The info is out there and if you would like to PM me I would be happy to help you. However, getting a price on the internet and trying to negotiate over the phone is the one way to insure frustration and disappointment.

Coz

All disappointment comes from false expectations.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't looking for an 06 but it also applies to the 06's that were on the GM Buy.com site I've been looking at. I've seen several 06's that have the Tag Price in large bold Red Numbers compared to the MSRP in black bold numbers. There's just no Cash Allowance on any of the 06's I've seen.

·
Registered
178 Posts
GM changes the incentives on a weekly basis. It's a pain in the neck because our biggest advertising day is Wednesday and the ads are submitted on tuesday before noon. Causes quite a bit of heartburn, trust me.

Coz

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coz said:
My Mom is in her early 60's and just bought her first car by herself (Dad passed 11 years ago) She's only been driving for 11 years and I habndled her first car purchase. This time around she wrote down what I said, followed it to the T and got an unbelievable deal on a new 06 Honda Accord for just about dealer cost.

The info is out there and if you would like to PM me I would be happy to help you. However, getting a price on the internet and trying to negotiate over the phone is the one way to insure frustration and disappointment.

Coz

All disappointment comes from false expectations.
I'm by no means disappointed. I have three great vehicles that I'm very pleased with. Two with less than 2000 miles and I with 8000 for driving out west skiing during the winter. It's not lik I have to have the SSR.

I'm not trying to negotiate over the phone, I'm just trying to get an idea of what ball park they're playing in. Most of the dealers are too far out in the burbs and the traffic way to heavy to go running back and forth. I know the information is out there and I appreciate the offer. I usually get pretty good deals on my purchases. I've bought more vehicles in my lifetime than I care to mention.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Shop around - I have been watching an 05 Aqua Blur sit at the same dealer where I bought my 04 in Feb and it's been there since April. MSRP is near $50K but they marked the windshield a few weeks ago at $39,995. That was well prior to the new Red Tag event. Some dealers will sit on a vehicle for every before letting it go for a deal.

Good luck shopping, there are LOTS of SSR's out there. By the way, this was a 6-speed.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SS My R said:
I wasn't looking for an 06 but it also applies to the 06's that were on the GM Buy.com site I've been looking at. I've seen several 06's that have the Tag Price in large bold Red Numbers compared to the MSRP in black bold numbers. There's just no Cash Allowance on any of the 06's I've seen.
Unless it just changed in the last hour I'm still seeing 6000 cash allowance.

http://www.gmbuypower.com/vehicleHo...&subModelId=185&subModel=&zip=60615&year=2005

If you click on the right side where it says current offers view details in blue. you will see the current offers page for 2005 ssr's. Under total cash allowance you will see 6000.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hpdjv said:
Shop around - I have been watching an 05 Aqua Blur sit at the same dealer where I bought my 04 in Feb and it's been there since April. MSRP is near $50K but they marked the windshield a few weeks ago at $39,995. That was well prior to the new Red Tag event. Some dealers will sit on a vehicle for every before letting it go for a deal.

Good luck shopping, there are LOTS of SSR's out there. By the way, this was a 6-speed.
You said exactly what I've been doing. I just happen to take my Z out to get my oil changed at my dealer when I saw this Black SSR . Next time I was out that way it was still there so I went and looked at it. They talked me into driving it and I figured I'd try and get one if I can get the right price. I believe it is truly a buyers market when it comes to the SSR. I think it's time is running out. I give it another year at the most; maybe less if they close the Center in Lansing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
SS My R said:
You said exactly what I've been doing. I just happen to take my Z out to get my oil changed at my dealer when I saw this Black SSR . Next time I was out that way it was still there so I went and looked at it. They talked me into driving it and I figured I'd try and get one if I can get the right price. I believe it is truly a buyers market when it comes to the SSR. I think it's time is running out. I give it another year at the most; maybe less if they close the Center in Lansing.

When people finally get the idea of WHY the SSR was built they might come to the realization that while dealers certainly like to sell them , they certainly do NOT consider it a BUYERS market when it comes to the SSR. It was and IS considered a Halo vehilce meant to get people to stop buy and look at it and drive it and ultimately buy ANY chevy on the lot but it ain't an Edsel by any means and by what you read here people take a lot of pride and have WAYYYY TOOOO MUCH FUN driving them. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for dealers to discount them to the point of losing money because they feel it's a "buyers market"....too funny.

Good Luck to you.

BTW...if they close the Lansing Plant and discontinue the SSR any time soon you're theory of buyers market goes right out the window. I know of several people here who might go out and buy a second one just to have it. BUt it would do nothing more than drive the price UP instead of down.

·
Registered
740 Posts
SS My R said:

2004 350 Z Black
2004 Infiniti, Black loaded

In Illinois alone there are about 210 Chevy dealers, give or take one or two that close evry year or so. I'm sure I'll find one that'll have what I want and be straight up with me. If the dealer I bought my HHR from had one I would get my SSR from him. I'm in Chicago and it's dog eat dog with a lot of dealers.
Chevy dealers are the weirdest people to work with. My story is that I walked into the closest Chevy dealer and ordered an SSR at list in Feburay, and couldn't get anyone to sell to me until the second week of April when I closed a deal with a dealer 1500 miles away at 3000 off list and 8000 less than my original order.

My advice is to keep posting here until you get an understanding of what's going on, and also keep checking inventory on the Chevy website. I'm not complaining, I'm happy with the deal I got. Still, buying a Chevy isn't like buying a computer, where you can just walk into a local store and buy what you want.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
When I bought mine I went to Autotrader.com. I found the exact one that I thought I wanted at a great price. Of course this was on a left over vehicle from 04. I bought mine in Feb of 05 at $13k off MSRP.

My experince has shown me over the years that a small dealer is more willing to work with you on a vehicle like this than a large one. The big boy's have that "if you don't buy it some else will" menatality.

Search around you will find what you want, but remember this..Every dealer is out there to squeeze every cent out of you that they can, just be prepared to argue some.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It amazes me still that people have that "be ready to argue" mentality. I'll be honest with you all, the animal that is known as the "carguy" is a very strange animal indeed and the way to get the best deal is never and has never been to go in with the "argue" with them mentality. Why do people that want to buy a vehicle feel they must "argue" to buy these SSR's? Would love to know why.

Coz

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dougnc said:
Chevy dealers are the weirdest people to work with. My story is that I walked into the closest Chevy dealer and ordered an SSR at list in Feburay, and couldn't get anyone to sell to me until the second week of April when I closed a deal with a dealer 1500 miles away at 3000 off list and 8000 less than my original order.

My advice is to keep posting here until you get an understanding of what's going on, and also keep checking inventory on the Chevy website. I'm not complaining, I'm happy with the deal I got. Still, buying a Chevy isn't like buying a computer, where you can just walk into a local store and buy what you want.
I've been looking at all of the small dealers in all of the small towns in the Midwest because most have been made to purchase two during the year because it's suppose to draw in buyers plus as a GM friend of mine said they just want to get rid of the dam things because they are so so so difficult to sell. He said the main reason is price. I have a listing of all of the Chevrolet dealers in the Midwest.

·
Registered
740 Posts
SS My R said:
I've been looking at all of the small dealers in all of the small towns in the Midwest because most have been made to purchase two during the year because it's suppose to draw in buyers plus as a GM friend of mine said they just want to get rid of the dam things because they are so so so difficult to sell. He said the main reason is price. I have a listing of all of the Chevrolet dealers in the Midwest.
That doesn't make a lot of sense. My understanding is the small dealers are only allocated 2 per year, which means they're not interested in cutting prices to gain volumn.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dougnc said:
That doesn't make a lot of sense. My understanding is the small dealers are only allocated 2 per year, which means they're not interested in cutting prices to gain volumn.
I'm well aware that the small dealers are allocated 2 per year. The problem is that a lot of small town dealers can't aford to have the SSR sitting for six months to a year just to be a drawing card for other vehicles. If they had their way they would not accept any SSR's but they have no choice. That's why many are willing to deal rather than keep paying rent on them.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Coz said:
It amazes me still that people have that "be ready to argue" mentality. I'll be honest with you all, the animal that is known as the "carguy" is a very strange animal indeed and the way to get the best deal is never and has never been to go in with the "argue" with them mentality. Why do people that want to buy a vehicle feel they must "argue" to buy these SSR's? Would love to know why.

Coz
Well to be honest with you 99.99% of all dealers see you as a sucker and will try and get away with everything they can. Extra warraties, higher % rates and insurance thrown in on the deal without you even asking. On top of this the mentailty that someone else will buy it if you don't.

Lets see... How did it go the time before this.. Yes sir I want to buy this Corvette, ok Mr. Waters lets right it up..We sit down and he ask me how much will I go and I tell him, he rights it up takes it to the manager and comes back $5000 higher than I said I would do.. I tell him no way and thanks for taking the time.. Before I get to the trucjk he has anothe roffer ..this time within $1500..I say I just can't and thanks. Next day I get a call that he got me the deal i wanted... Why did I have to go through all of this crap? This has happend at least 20 times in the past 10 years so it is not a rare thing..

I am going through a GM buy back as we speak..And I can say it is pure hell. And I agreed to the purchase of another GM product...I can only imagine what it would be like if I just wanted it gone and my money back.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts