Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parking my SSR into my garage, got in/out twice to check my distance. When I went to put it in Park it wouldn't move out of Neutral and I couldn't depress the shift button. I had it towed to dealership, they called and said it would be a day or two before they got the part in. He said it wasn't too expensive to fix, etc. and quoted me $479.xx. Yikes!
I only take it in for oil changes so it seemed expensive to me, but then again it's been years since I've had to take my truck or car ('98 Toyota) to the dealership. What's the approx. cost for a Shift Cable replacement?
Sounds like this known problem can happen more than once? Is that true?
I only drive it on Sundays but just recently noticed a noise when I turned corners. I'm hoping it's the same issue...does it sound like it?

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
You can check the index here. Not uncommon and not that expensive to update and fix the cable.

I had trouble with a past vehicle I had. Some of the time when I turned the it made a loud screeching sound. It also would leave a couple of black marks on the pavement. I attributed that to a defective throttle pedal.

I am glad you joined. Judging from the flag in the background you are from Texas? If so, there are many there that can help you on your way.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,480 Posts
Did they return the shift cable to you? I can't recall anyones shift cable actually breaking but the typical failure for our trucks is the plastic bushing deteriorates causing the shifting cable to come disconnected. Simple engineering and Dictator has a replacement part that has a stainless steel bushing that will keep this from ever happening again. I think it cost like $20 and is easy to do yourself... Wish you had checked with us first in case that was the cause.
Don't have an idea about the noise while turning...🤔

However, Welcome to the Fanatic Family. We have a "How to library" to address nearly any issue and people around the country willing and able to help!

Reactions: soren703 and TXNSSR

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,687 Posts

OUCH, Audie Fan . . . 479 bucks?

It only took Mike (Simple-Engineering.com) about five minutes to replace mine a few years ago. Not sure what I paid but I have a feeling it was in the 25 bucks range.

By any chance did you have your R towed to a Rolls Royce Dealer?

! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parking my SSR into my garage, got in/out twice to check my distance. When I went to put it in Park it wouldn't move out of Neutral and I couldn't depress the shift button. I had it towed to dealership, they called and said it would be a day or two before they got the part in. He said it wasn't too expensive to fix, etc. and quoted me $479.xx. Yikes!
I only take it in for oil changes so it seemed expensive to me, but then again it's been years since I've had to take my truck or car ('98 Toyota) to the dealership. What's the approx. cost for a Shift Cable replacement?
Sounds like this known problem can happen more than once? Is that true?
I only drive it on Sundays but just recently noticed a noise when I turned corners. I'm hoping it's the same issue...does it sound like it?
You can check the index here. Not uncommon and not that expensive to update and fix the cable.

I had trouble with a past vehicle I had. Some of the time when I turned the it made a loud screeching sound. It also would leave a couple of black marks on the pavement. I attributed that to a defective throttle pedal.

I am glad you joined. Judging from the flag in the background you are from Texas? If so, there are many there that can help you on your way.
Thank you...yes I'm from Audie Country/Audie land...Texas. I am thinking of selling it, but it would be nice to find somewhere or someone else I can trust to have it fixed. I'm having the dealership fix it this time.
I've been reading about the shift cable prob on this site, I read they usually lock up in Park...guess I was lucky. The noise seemed to be coming from behind the passenger seat area.. What are those two storage compartments behind the driver and passenger side? I couldn't find anything on them reading the manual. Lately, when I would turn the corner, sometimes it made a single noise like a loose tool or something. Hoping it was the shift cable...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did they return the shift cable to you? I can't recall anyones shift cable actually breaking but the typical failure for our trucks is the plastic bushing deteriorates causing the shifting cable to come disconnected. Simple engineering and Dictator has a replacement part that has a stainless steel bushing that will keep this from ever happening again. I think it cost like $20 and is easy to do yourself... Wish you had checked with us first in case that was the cause.
Don't have an idea about the noise while turning...🤔

However, Welcome to the Fanatic Family. We have a "How to library" to address nearly any issue and people around the country willing and able to help!
Thank you! I'm not mechanically inclined to ever fix it myself. Truck was towed and waiting for parts at dealership. If I sell the truck, is this a good place to post it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OUCH, Audie Fan . . . 479 bucks?

It only took Mike (Simple-Engineering.com) about five minutes to replace mine a few years ago. Not sure what I paid but I have a feeling it was in the 25 bucks range.

By any chance did you have your R towed to a Rolls Royce Dealer?

! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: !
LOL...no.....just a Chevy/Mazda Dealership.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I broke the end of my cable last year getting ready to go to Branson. I found it at Auto Zone and it was even an AC Delco part. It was around $65 if my memory serves me correct. It wasn't a big job to replace but it did take a couple hours to get it done. Biggest problem I had was getting the center console back together because I did not have the key to the lock. You need to rotate the lock cylinder to get the top back on the console.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,399 Posts
@Audie Fan, If you are thinking of selling, how long have you owned your SSR? ALSO--Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.
Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
@Audie Fan The compartment behind the drivers seat is where the air compressor goes. It may have the roof tool in there and causing the noise. On the passengers side the only thing there is an opening for rear fuse box. That opening on the side of the console. Check under the set and see if the roof tool is laying around some where.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Shoulda, woulda, coulda... You shoulda been hangin' out here all along. You woulda known the shift cable issues and you coulda fixed it before it broke. That said, sorry for your issues. If you choose to keep your truck, stick around. It's a fun bunch of folks. If you sell, kindly tell the new owner about the forum. Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,480 Posts
@Audie Fan Yes, this can be a good place to sell your SSR but remember all of us already have one or two or more! Not me though, I only have one! 😉 But seriously, many others do visit our site or we know others who are looking for one. But we hope you keep it and get to know the Fanatic Family! Go to a Rally or a "Meet and Greet" in your area! You'll miss your PermaGrin if you sell it!

Reactions: Firetruck

·
Spirited driver!
1,545 Posts
If you are in the DFW area, let us know. We have a bunch that can help you with your SSR.
Looks like he is saying he is not to far from y'all. Possibly Greenville, TX?

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Shoulda, woulda, coulda... You shoulda been hangin' out here all along. You woulda known the shift cable issues and you coulda fixed it before it broke. That said, sorry for your issues. If you choose to keep your truck, stick around. It's a fun bunch of folks. If you sell, kindly tell the new owner about the forum. Best of luck to you.
Double "Like" wiz !!!

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,674 Posts
I invented a SHIFT CABLE REPAIR KIT about 12yrs ago. Expensive fix, $20 bucks includes postage.

Stainless, will not break and "Do it Yourself". Takes about 20minutes.

I have them in stock and so does Mike Moro aka http://www.simple-engineering.com/

Plus lots of fixes on my SSR HOW TO LIBRARY: Only 100 but I will be adding more.

Dicktator

1 - 18 of 18 Posts