Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is short notice but I just ran into an article that says the wildflower bloom in Death Valley is the best in nearly 100 years due to all the rain. It's supposed to peak right about now. I was thinking if there were enough SSRs (and their owners) interested, we could make a road trip and see something we likely won't have the opportunity to see again. Biggest drawback is it's a fairly long drive for a daytrip.
My thoughts (at least for the So Cal folks) are to meet in Victorville (?) early. Get some eats and then head out 15 to 127 to Shoshone. From there go up 178 towards Furnace creek. Should be lots of good photo ops for the SSRs and the scenery.
Option 2 is to head up 395 to 190 and take 190 as far as they will let us.

Any input?? Takers?? This weekend???

Here's some more info:
http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2005/01/25/sections/news/focus_health/article_387387.php
http://www.death-valley.us/

·
Registered
579 Posts
Victorville Sounds Great!

Victorville sounds great! Unforturnately I have to be in LA later on that day (Noon). I would love to meet anyone for Breakfast and I would make the reservations. We could all meet at Rusty's Cafe. They have great food and very reasonable prices.

We could meet at 8:00 a.m.

hdflstf if interested Let me know how many are coming and I will make the reservation.

E :party

·
Registered
434 Posts
Desert Bloom

Three years ago we drove to see this bloom in Death Valley, from north of Seattle.
It was worth every minute of the driving time.

We plan on trying it again this year right after the August Monsoon.

Just do it! :cool

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Count me in. This weekend would be best for me. Be sure to bring the windex, the bugs out number the flowers. Ross :flag

·
Registered
579 Posts
Breakfast Anyone?

Great!

Who's up for breakfast? Let me know.

Rusty's Cafe is located at:

RUSTY'S CAFE
14196 AMARGOSA RD STE A, VICTORVILLE, CA 92392
Phone: (760) 241-3663

Very good place. She and her husband take pictures of the guests. We can have her take a picture of us in the SSR's

E :thumbs :lurk

P.S. Let me know about breakfast.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Breakfast

Rusty's sounds good to me. It's nice to have a local to scope these things out. I think we will confirm things at the end of the week for you. Maybe some of the guys up north will come down. Maybe meet them in Barstow. Anyone to the east could meet us in Shoshone or maybe Baker.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Saturday or Sunday???

Bakersfiled has the March Meets drag races this weekend. I was planning to go there Sunday - might have to make an overnight???

Are you all coming up 395?

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was leaning towards Saturday and the I-15 to 127 to 178 route. From Bakersfield you could go to Barstow (or Baker) and meet us on our way through. That is assuming the group is on board with the Saturday run.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update

So far the game plan looks like this:
Meet in Victorville at 8 AM for breakfast.
Leave ~9 AM.
Meet others SSRs in Barstow at ~ 9:40 AM
Meet any others in Baker ~ 11 AM
Last chance in Shoshone at ~12 noon

So far it looks like we have 2 SSRs for the run
One more for breakfast in Vville
One possible to meet in Barstow.

Lets get some more to go. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Home from Texas.

Hi guys, wish I could make it, but I just got back from a 3,200 mile trip and I better let Ole Yeller, and me, rest up a bit. Sounds like a great trip. Have fun and post lots of pics.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Glad you made it back, Lloger. Hope all was well. It would be great to go on thi trip with y'all. I hope you take lots of pictures.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SSR71Blackbird said:
I'll be there in Victorville for breakfast and the trip. Coming up from the San Diego area on I15. See you around 0800.

SSR71Blackbird (Bob G.)
I'll keep an eye out for a low flying aircraft once I get on the 15 from the 60.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Everyone,

I have made a reservation at Rusty's cafe for (8) people just in case others show up.

I look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow, Saturday, 3-12-05 at 8:00 a.m.

RUSTY'S CAFE

E :lurk :seeya :seeya

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ECurtis said:
Everyone,

I have made a reservation at Rusty's cafe for (8) people just in case others show up.

I look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow, Saturday, 3-12-05 at 8:00 a.m.

RUSTY'S CAFE

E :lurk :seeya :seeya
Thanks "E" for setting that up. I'm looking forward to seeing some SSRs in the morning. If anyone going needs a contact number I can send my cell number if you send a PM to me.
See y'all at 8 AM

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,594 Posts
Got MY VOTE!

hdflstf said:
The attached pix say it all..
I have to say what a great looking Ricochet Silver SSR and with chrome wheels and at such a beautiful location too! :thumbs

Ps Hey Keith, that first photo is a great contender and should be submitted to you for consideration for your next years "customized" calendar what do you think?

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Actually Marc, I like the second with the background of the mountains and if you crop out the road lines, BEAUTIFUL!

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,594 Posts
Beautiful

wildcat66 said:
Actually Marc, I like the second with the background of the mountains and if you crop out the road lines, BEAUTIFUL!
How is this version of a great shot?

Machell, I really admire the terrain in the below photo too...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts