Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my friends. I decided to pull one of the struts off my tonneau deck lid. 04 and they still work, not as good as they used to but... Anyway I measured the force they put out and it was just below 60 lbs. Anybody know what the original force was supposed to be? I can't believe its an 04 and they still work. R,

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It seems they were only meant to move that cover a few inches. SIMPLE ENGINEERING sells struts that life the cover all the way up if that is what you are looking for.

birdmans

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Birdman but I was just wondering if anyone knew what the pressure was supposed to be for the stock ones. I'm guessing somewhere between 60 and 80 lbs.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
It seems they were only meant to move that cover a few inches. SIMPLE ENGINEERING sells struts that life the cover all the way up if that is what you are looking for.

birdmans
I believe my new ride has all the new struts offered by Simple Engineering. Having just returned from a cross country trip, I can tell ya that if the temp gets down into the mid 30'3 to less than 40 degrees, the deck lid will act like a "stock" and only come up a few inches.:wink2:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Seems to me I remember reading somewhere the struts were rated in Newtons , and that you needed 75 Newton’s to do the job properly.
9.8 newtons = 2.2 lbs.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hotrod: That can't be right 65 lbs would be 289 newtons. I set up a jig to measure The force in lbs and the best one measured 51.75 lbs of pressure exerted which is about 230.19. I believe the factory one was around 65 lbs but I don't know for sure. Bueller, Bueller

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,073 Posts
The OEM (Stabilis brand) deck lid struts have a label that reads 285 Newtons.

I have sold/installed LST struts ranging from 300 to 390 newtons. It all depends on the stuff attached to the lid. The 390 Newton struts are for really heavy wings and I don't use them much. Most trucks work well with 330 Newtons and I really like to use 300 Newtons whenever possible.

The big issue with the Stabilis brand struts is that they don't hold their pressure well. They dropped from 285 to substantially less in really short order when the trucks were new.

Does this help???

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah Mike thank you...I was just curious what ours are supposed to read. I have my original ones on and they still work decent but I can tell them have gone down some. I appreciate the answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts