Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a call yesterday about the truck. Because of the outrageous price that a vendor wants to charge for my bumper cover (5995) they’re going to total the SSR. I’m hoping it’s a joke and their pulling my leg because I’m pretty devastated about losing my baby. I hope that vendor is on here, sees this then gives me his address so I can beat the tar out of him. What a horrible thing to do by gouging replacement parts.

·
Slingshot Rules!
75,479 Posts
Big Ole Bummer, ChknMnky.

Sadly, that seems to be "the routine" for many Insurance Companies nowadays.

They would rather Total Loss the vehicle, even a relatively rare vehicle, rather than exert a little time and effort for repairs.

! :banghead ! :nodno ! :banghead ! :nodno ! :banghead !

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,633 Posts
I agree with Autoprof. Or see if you can furnish the parts and last resort BUY your SSR back from them---CHEAP!!!

Nick

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,569 Posts
If they do Total it, maybe you can buy it back and have the repairs done using Aftermarket parts that the insurance might not allow.

·
Premium Member
6,473 Posts
I received a call yesterday about the truck. Because of the outrageous price that a vendor wants to charge for my bumper cover (5995) they’re going to total the SSR. I’m hoping it’s a joke and their pulling my leg because I’m pretty devastated about losing my baby. I hope that vendor is on here, sees this then gives me his address so I can beat the tar out of him. What a horrible thing to do by gouging replacement parts.
Is it the front bumper or rear bumper. If it's a front bumper I have one painted red and I believe Dictator had one painted silver.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I think it’s the rear bumper cover. I have a front Aqua Blur bumper but have not seen any requests for one.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the delayed responses guys, I’ve been driving back to my home from school to raise the b.s. flag. Yeah, it’s the rear. I guess it’ll work out with buying it back, I just hate that it’ll have a salvage title from then on. Had the place doing the repairs do a little more digging, they could’ve found the part, but I’m sensing they dont have the desire, concern, or skill to do the repair.

I think it’s the rear bumper cover. I have a front Aqua Blur bumper but have not seen any requests for one.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,397 Posts
Insist on taking it to another shop. You are in the drivers seat. Make sure you think it all through carefully. Just went through that with my wife's Pontiac. Hail damage. They said they would give me the money when I gave them the car and the paid off clear title. I said no, so they counter offered with I keep the car, they give me the money and they keep $1000.00 for me to buy it back. So that is what we did. Then I find out later I had to drop the full coverage insurance and can get only liability insurance on it and it has a branded title but technically all I have in the car is $1000.00 and I can sell it for that at anytime. They want you to be in a hurry to decide and that works in there favor. Sit back, take your time and make a good decision that works for you. Good luck my friend.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
$5.995

Wow wonder if this insurance agent / co. wants this R to perhaps use as a parts car or they want it for their personal use. Was there additional damage other than the lower bumper cover? Did they give you a totaled out value for your R, ? Sad very sad. There was a recent post on recommending R owners to confirm the current replacement value of their Rs, to assure they had enough coverage in cases like this.

Wishing you the best.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No no, with that quote of 5995 for the bumper cover, it puts the repair cost over 10k. At least that’s my assumption. The insurance company still hasn’t responded to the shop and I’m half tempted to go demand my truck back.

I want my baby back.

Are they going to claim the SSR is worth less then the $6000 for the repair?? this doesn't seem right?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,569 Posts
If it is the bumper cover that is outrageous. The Left Rear Fender looks like it might be a problem as well. Is your insurance claiming it was your fault or both insurance companies covering their own insured, or are you both covered by the same company which means they are on the hook for both no matter whose fault it was so they are looking for any excuse to get out cheap? Just throwing ideas out there. Any way you look at it it sucks.

·
Super Moderator
14,055 Posts
Honestly, if you wind up with a Salvage Title, you might be better off biting the bullet - let someone else rebuild it.
However, I think Les Lassiter has a rear bumper, but with the prices we have to pay for our parts, it is pretty easy to wind up with a bad title.
Hanging onto an SSR for nostalgic reasons with a bad title may not be the smartest move from a monetary standpoint
Trying to remember Les's handle

Again, I would not repair it if it winds up with a Salvage Title anyway - no matter what the love scale reads!
It is tough enough selling a vehicle with an accident on the Carfax, let alone a Red Flag Salvage Title.
You have to be in it for the long haul or take a real beating on resale with a bad title.

Edit - Insurance companies are paying ridiculous payout numbers - fight hard to get them to replace it

1 - 20 of 113 Posts