Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While tooling around the internet I found a bunch of references to Dex-Cool not lasting the 100k or 150k miles that is supposed to. Would anyone out there (like wingrider) know if we should be doing more than just a fluid level check on our coolant?

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
You know at 60K miles it would not hurt to change it. Its not all that expensive and you will not have to worry then. While your at it change out the water pump and thermostat.

C

·
0 Posts
dex cool

Ricochet said:
You know at 60K miles it would not hurt to change it. Its not all that expensive and you will not have to worry then. While your at it change out the water pump and thermostat.
from a gm technician's standpoint, use it & loose it !!!!!!!! it had a recomended life of 100k but it gets a muddy look to it after about 2 yrs and or 50,k, so flush it and replace the rad cap, they tend to start leaking as well.
circlek

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
circlek said:
from a gm technician's standpoint, use it & loose it !!!!!!!! it had a recomended life of 100k but it gets a muddy look to it after about 2 yrs and or 50,k, so flush it and replace the rad cap, they tend to start leaking as well.
circlek
I run my dex-cool for 50,000 miles and the flush it out and install the green coolant. the dex-cool turns to mud before 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ricochet said:
I already had the water pump changed....now that I think about it, that would mean that I had the coolant changed too???? Maybe I should ask the dealer how much coolant was changed and change it all if it wasn't.

Thanks for the info guys.

Anything else I should consider looking at now that I'm almost at 60k miles?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Ricochet said:
..First the coolant was leaking

Took in the shop to change oil and did complete coolant flush

Installed new thermostat

Lost coolant again (was not the fan)

Today discovered WATER PUMP is the culprit..

Will be replaced Friday..along with new coolant....

:ssr Ladyinred:angel Lizz 63,700 + miles

P.s. They may also replace cooling fan with updated version.

Today Mike Morro's auxillary fan arrived too!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
WOW_FCTR said:
While tooling around the internet I found a bunch of references to Dex-Cool not lasting the 100k or 150k miles that is supposed to. Would anyone out there (like wingrider) know if we should be doing more than just a fluid level check on our coolant?

I flush and change mine every two years instead of waiting until it turns to sludge.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ladyinred said:
..First the coolant was leaking

Took in the shop to change oil and did complete coolant flush

Installed new thermostat

Lost coolant again (was not the fan)

Today discovered WATER PUMP is the culprit..

Will be replaced Friday..along with new coolant....

:ssr Ladyinred:angel Lizz 63,700 + miles

P.s. They may also replace cooling fan with updated version.

Today Mike Morro's auxillary fan arrived too!!
Since I had a water pump failure around 60+k as well, maybe others should watch for this as well....if they ever intend to keep up with us.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,328 Posts
Dexcool is the worst inventions ever made for cars. Sure, it probably works in a perfect environment but if there is a system leak or you use anything besides distilled water in it your asking for problems. Distilled water should always be used anyway but in Dexcool systems it is mandatory, even then you will get sludge .......... I hate it

:seeya

·
Premium Member
31,463 Posts
Never had a problem

I just changed the coolant on my '99 Silverado for the first time. After 7 years and 75K miles, that stuff came out CLEAR (of course the pink/orange tint to it). There was no discoloration, and no gunk at all. I pulled the hoses, thermostat, and everything was pretty much spotless inside. I've read all of the horror stories over at gm-trucks.com. Someone there referred to it as "death cool". However, I have to say that it's been pretty much as advertised for me. 12 qts of new 50/50 "death cool" went back in.

Could it be that hotter temperatures have a negative affect on it? My Silvy has run at a consistent 195 degrees in all conditions for its entire life - all because of the mechanical fan. However, I just took that off and put electrics on, so now I'll have to keep an eye on things.

Putting the green stuff back in is not a problem and will not void your warranty in anyway. You just have to remember to replace it every 2 years then. It's your choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts