Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Just bought my first SSR, sell grinning! Local Chevy dealer uses Dexos and says it's good oil for my 2005. Is it or should I insist on Mobil 1?
:|
When it comes to (brands) of oil and who all likes which one, there are multiple choices and preferences.

Consider that new Vettes come with Mobil one from the factory, your SSR has a Vette engine, you can get Mobil one by the case at Costco.............What's not to like?

I use it in my cars/trucks...........buy it by the case at Costco and take to my near by Jiffy Lube type place and have them handle the change and add a filter too.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Dexos is not a brand of oil -- it is a classification or specification that GM requires to maintain warranties

"GM dexos is a new generation of oil specification, for a new generation of vehicles. It is a high quality synthetic blend oil. GM dexos exceeds all current conventional and most synthetic blend oil specifications. It exceeds the ILSAC GF5 specification that went into affect October 1st 2010."

Initially when Dexos was introduced, only GM sold Dexos approved oil, now other manufacturers have had their oil tested to meet GM Dexos specifications.

Mobil one is just one brand that meets (or exceeds) various specifications -- including Dexos 1 (gasoline) applications

From Mobil one site

Mobil 1 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:
General Motors Service Fill dexos1™ Gen 2 (license number D10104GH015)

There are other BRANDS of motor oil which also meet the Dexos specifications -- just look at the back of the bottle to see if it says it meets the Dexos specifications. And there is such a thing as Dexos 2 which is a specification used for GM diesel applications.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply and info. My local dealer does their oil changes very reasonable using dexos oil. Just thought I'd check. Thanks again!

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,395 Posts
Just bought my first SSR, still grinning! Local Chevy dealer uses Dexos and says it's good oil for my 2005. Is it or should I insist on Mobil 1?
Short answer is YES. Chevrolet recommends Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 Filter. I stay with that. Some as good but none better.

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
Dexos is not a brand of oil -- it is a classification or specification that GM requires to maintain warranties

"GM dexos is a new generation of oil specification, for a new generation of vehicles. It is a high quality synthetic blend oil. GM dexos exceeds all current conventional and most synthetic blend oil specifications. It exceeds the ILSAC GF5 specification that went into affect October 1st 2010."

Initially when Dexos was introduced, only GM sold Dexos approved oil, now other manufacturers have had their oil tested to meet GM Dexos specifications.

Mobil one is just one brand that meets (or exceeds) various specifications -- including Dexos 1 (gasoline) applications

From Mobil one site

Mobil 1 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:
General Motors Service Fill dexos1™ Gen 2 (license number D10104GH015)

There are other BRANDS of motor oil which also meet the Dexos specifications -- just look at the back of the bottle to see if it says it meets the Dexos specifications. And there is such a thing as Dexos 2 which is a specification used for GM diesel applications.
Excellent post Autoprof and glad you explained Dexos. Have to admit it, I never heard of Dexos. bob alexander tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
3,719 Posts
Semi is not full.

I would use ONLY full synthetic oil in the 6.0 liter.

The DEXOS that your GM dealer uses may be or probably is only be a synthetic blend. DEXOS is not a specification on your SSR.

Mobil 1 is a good oil. IMO not the best, but good and very adequate. It should work great for you. I like the high mileage vehicle oil although I have heard that Mobil 1 changed the additive package on this.

Just my opinion.

Dave

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,284 Posts
I find Walmart has just about the best price around on Mobil 1 on a day to day basis for the 5 qt jug. That being said, I do buy the quarts at Costco when they have the instant rebate going. Use one 5 qt jug and two 1 qt bottles at every oil change. Use to run 6&1/2 qts but anymore run 7 qts at every oil change after Topspin's recommendations and the few reports of oil starvation on heavy acceleration. New Mobil 1 or the hi perf Delco (UPF) filter as well.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I find Walmart has just about the best price around on Mobil 1 on a day to day basis for the 5 qt jug. That being said, I do buy the quarts at Costco when they have the instant rebate going. Use one 5 qt jug and two 1 qt bottles at every oil change. Use to run 6&1/2 qts but anymore run 7 qts at every oil change after Topspin's recommendations and the few reports of oil starvation on heavy acceleration. New Mobil 1 or the hi perf Delco filter as well.
Can u refer me to a post or whatever regarding Topspins recommendation......as u put it. Since getting my ride, I have yet to need an oil change. But I've read some of the C6 oil pan change posts, and frankly I'm still (quite skeptical)of that degree of NEED.

Yeah, I read about "starvation", but please...............I'm gonna go out on a limb again and take the position that unless you're into multiple full throttle drag racing scenes, I just cannot believe you're gonna be exposed to an oil starvation situation with the "stock" pan.

That said,................I would be open to the need to add some (extra) oil to the stock pan if that is what the Topspin "reco" is talking about.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
Can u refer me to a post or whatever regarding Topspins recommendation......as u put it. Since getting my ride, I have yet to need an oil change. But I've read some of the C6 oil pan change posts, and frankly I'm still (quite skeptical)of that degree of NEED.

Yeah, I read about "starvation", but please...............I'm gonna go out on a limb again and take the position that unless you're into multiple full throttle drag racing scenes, I just cannot believe you're gonna be exposed to an oil starvation situation with the "stock" pan.

That said,................I would be open to the need to add some (extra) oil to the stock pan if that is what the Topspin "reco" is talking about.:smile2:
The stock pan is the same as on the Traiblazer 4x4. It has a hole through it for the front axle, and is a front sump design, with no baffles to prevent oil from sloshing to the rear, away from the pickup, on acceleration. I didn't realize how poorly designed it was until I removed it to replace it with a C6 pan. I went to the C6 pan primarily because of the addition of the supercharger, and a new tendency to use the loud pedal a bit more.

If you stay with the stock pan, I would be onboard with the recommendation to add at least an extra quart of oil to protect the engine, or avoid the temptation to use the loud pedal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next oil question??? Mobil 1 has both Extended Performance and High Mileage formulations. I drive roughly 6000 miles per year. Living in SW Utah we have ALL 4 Seasons. Any recommendations? I will also be towing a 18' bass boat from time to time with round trips being 80-100 miles.
Thanks to all
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Next oil question??? Mobil 1 has both Extended Performance and High Mileage formulations. I drive roughly 6000 miles per year. Living in SW Utah we have ALL 4 Seasons. Any recommendations? I will also be towing a 18' bass boat from time to time with round trips being 80-100 miles.
Thanks to all
Bob
:| Listen, it has become too easy to get caught up in these (oil discussions) and just exactly which one is right for you. Frankly, I was not aware of what you describe as (extended performance versus High milage) formulations.....Your engine WILL NEVER KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

They (MOBIL) are capturing clients with slightly different objectives as to what they (think) they need for lubrication. Actually, no real difference than buying a Chevy truck versus a GM truck. Different grille, trim, etc..............but basically the same deal.

I had a 17' Skeeter Bass Boat years ago and hauled it all over with my 4 cylinder Toyota 4WD pickup. Gee,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no problems, and never even considered any change to the oil being used.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,719 Posts
The difference in the two is the additive package.

The high mileage used to have more zinc. I am not sure that Mobil 1 high mileage still does. For normal driving I think that either will work fine.

The SSR does not require Dexos. The specification are listed in the owner's manual. You can buy "better" oils than in 2006, so why not?

Dave

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,796 Posts
What about AMSOIL? How does it compare?

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,051 Posts
Dexos vs, Mobil 1 ???

:| Listen, it has become too easy to get caught up in these (oil discussions) and just exactly which one is right for you. Frankly, I was not aware of what you describe as (extended performance versus High milage) formulations.....Your engine WILL NEVER KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

They (MOBIL) are capturing clients with slightly different objectives as to what they (think) they need for lubrication. Actually, no real difference than buying a Chevy truck versus a GM truck. Different grille, trim, etc..............but basically the same deal.

I had a 17' Skeeter Bass Boat years ago and hauled it all over with my 4 cylinder Toyota 4WD pickup. Gee,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no problems, and never even considered any change to the oil being used.:wink2:
Now you've done it Moscooter. You've opened a can of worms. My buddy who has always purchased GMC trucks rather than a Chevy truck says his is built better because they slow down the production line when they see that Jimmie coming down the line. That's his story and he's sticking to it. lol

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Now you've done it Moscooter. You've opened a can of worms. My buddy who has always purchased GMC trucks rather than a Chevy truck says his is built better because they slow down the production line when they see that Jimmie coming down the line. That's his story and he's sticking to it. lol

Dave
>:)
I'm not quite sure just how/where they build them now. Wall Street Journal had an article just this past week about them. Seems the GM truck line has really become a money maker. I think they won't deal price-wise as much as can be done with a Chevy.

I do know that back in the 70s when I bought a '71 Chevy Blazer, I also looked at the GM "Jimmy" as I recall (Same deal/but badged as GM). I said.......There are no where near as many GMC dealers around the country as there are Chevy dealers. So were I to buy the Jimmy, and still under warranty and broke down in a town with a Chevy dealer, but no GMC dealer..........would the Chevy dealer honor my warranty??? Was told NO:surprise:

As a result, it was a no brainer and i went with the Blazer. Likely the same answer today, but not sure.:|

1 - 20 of 34 Posts