Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Redline
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed Diablo tune today. Took the R for a short cruise. Didn't notice a huge difference low in the power band but it certainly has more grunt at wide open throttle. I was going to install 4:56 gears but might wait awhile and see if this tune in will give me enough extra grunt.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,807 Posts
Some call it Traction Control

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,762 Posts
While a tune can help tighten up shifts and improve performance over all, I don't think it will come near what the seat of the pants feel of a gear swap especially to a 4:56 would have.

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,177 Posts
ALL SSR have 3:73 gears, automatic and manual from the Factory!!

I recommend and I did change to 4:10 gears in my 04 Automatic, 4 gears but I would change to 4:56 gears in the manual transmission because the manual is a "6 Speed"! Two more gears!

Automatic/4:10 gears will turn 400 more RPM. For intown driving it is great! Better gas mileage, better cooling and A/C. better oil and engine runs cleaner. Highway you give up some gas mileage.

Here is link:

(1) Rear Axle Gear Swap Info | Page 8 | Chevy SSR Forum (ssrfanatic.com)

The installer is very, very important!!

I changed in 2008, 120,000 miles ago.

Dicktator

Note: Speedometer problem with 4:56 gears is on SSR 06.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
The button on the console is traction control. All it does is keep your tires from braking loose. It will not add any additional performance.
While torque management will help firm up your shifting. That is done with the tuner.
You should feel a noticeable change if the tuner is set for a performance tune.
As for gear swap, you'll see a significant boost in performance as the new gears will get the power to the ground much quicker.
4:56 gears will cause your truck to run at high rpm's while at highway speeds. That may or may not be an issue for you. Many us us with auto trans trucks have gone with the 4:10's. They are kind of a happy medium between the stock gears and the 4:56.

·
Premium Member
5,322 Posts
The button on the console is traction control. All it does is keep your tires from braking loose. It will not add any additional performance.
I have to disagree with you I and many other notice a difference with the Traction control in the off position, especially after a Performance tune.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,807 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I have to disagree with you I and many other notice a difference with the Traction control in the off position, especially after a Performance tune.
Well, traction control will apply breaking if it senses tire/wheel spin. So, if you turn if off, and that breaking doesn't happen, then perhaps it could be construed as a performance improvement.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,898 Posts
I definitely feel the difference. I don't know about our SSR's. Seems I remember some of the old cars kinda detuned, like retarded the timing, etc., when you got on it, breaking the tires lose, with Traction control ON. Turning it OFF canceled the de-tune.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,146 Posts
Well, traction control will apply breaking if it senses tire/wheel spin. So, if you turn if off, and that breaking doesn't happen, then perhaps it could be construed as a performance improvement.
After getting my trans rebuilt by Greg Ducato and coming back in from my test drive, the first thing he asked was, Did you try it with the traction control off? I said, no. He then explained that with the TC off it raised pressure and allowed for more positive shifting. I went back out for another run and yep, the shifts were harder.

I’ve also learned that the factory tune of the engine pulls some of the torque out to be gentler on the automatics, the same tune is used for the 6spds as well. Depending on your tuner and your setup a professional tuner can remove that (e.g. Joe Delano). This is one of several reasons why when Joe tunes the Rs, they really pull a lot better, more so than the hand held tuners.

I used a Diablo Sport InTune and liked the engine tune, but didn‘t care for the performance transmission settings.

When the traction control actually engages on the R, it snaps the throttle shut and is pretty abrupt.

·
Premium Member
5,322 Posts
("wizzr, post: 4463715, member: 48378")

Its not necessarily a performance increase but it removes a performance roadblock as full throttle with TC on isn't full throttle.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
After getting my trans rebuilt by Greg Ducato and coming back in from my test drive, the first thing he asked was, Did you try it with the traction control off? I said, no. He then explained that with the TC off it raised pressure and allowed for more positive shifting. I went back out for another run and yep, the shifts were harder.

I’ve also learned that the factory tune of the engine pulls some of the torque out to be gentler on the automatics, the same tune is used for the 6spds as well. Depending on your tuner and your setup a professional tuner can remove that (e.g. Joe Delano). This is one of several reasons why when Joe tunes the Rs, they really pull a lot better, more so than the hand held tuners.

I used a Diablo Sport InTune and liked the engine tune, but didn‘t care for the performance transmission settings.

When the traction control actually engages on the R, it snaps the throttle shut and is pretty abrupt.
Are you suggesting that a truck with a standard factory transmission and factory tune will raise pressure on shifting with the traction control off?

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,304 Posts
Another thing I learned recently was on B's Pace Truck, I had pulled all the tires and wheels in order to get the HRE wheels refurbished. I didn't have a full set of staggered wheels and tires to put on temporarily, so put my spare OEM front wheels/tires on, and another set of 19" fronts that have slightly shorter tires than the OEM fronts onto the rear. Tire size was consistent side to side however.. Traction Control sensed something was different almost immediately, flashed the TC light and pretty much shut the truck down to idle limp mode. Turned off TC and the R was off like a scared rabbit. After a short run the computer seemed to learn the new front to rear ratio and all was fine. TC could then be re-engaged with no issues. Just an interesting learning experience...

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,146 Posts
Are you suggesting that a truck with a standard factory transmission and factory tune will raise pressure on shifting with the traction control off?
That is my understanding. Further the pressures can also be raised with some hand held tuners using their performance transmission tunes, or towing tunes, e.g Diablo Sport InTune, but getting the Corvette servo will do a better job of holding than without raising the pressures according to what Greg has posted.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts