Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first time it happened was last weekend, after the first oil change. After resetting the oil life monitor (by pushing on the throttle 4-5 times, key on, not running), the DIC read "Oil life 100%" A few minutes later there was no display and it remained dark even when pushing the steering wheel buttons. Key out, back in again, no start up display, but you get tones. After letting the truck sit with the key out, got in, DIC came to life, everthing normal.

This morning, for some idiotic reason, I grabbed Driver 2's keys and noticed the radio stations were wrong about a block from the house. Driver 1 keys were in my pocket, so I pulled over, switched keys, off I went. DIC was working.

This evening when I got off work, No DIC display. Again, you can hear tones, no display. No startup display, no warning display (door ajar) no odometer, nothing.

Obviously I need to take it in (no warnings is not a good thing), but anybody experience this? Is there a connector loose somewhere, or are there more serious gremlins afoot here?

Edit: found a TSB dated March 1, 2005 "Intermittent Driver Information Center (DIC) Operation, DIC does not illuminate."

Hey Wingrider, have you read this TSB or document? # 050849007

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Yes, there is a TSB for this problem for the 2005s. I looked up the TSBs before buying my SSR just to know what the issues may be with the truck. So when I finally went to test drive my truck I noticed when I started the truck there was no milage showing or anything for that matter on the DIC. Then I remembered reading about the DIC-less DIC problem. The Mgr. had a service guy play with it but everytime you shut the car down the DIC would go bye bye. So I told them I read of a TSB and they would have to service it before I would buy. They did and its been working fine so far. I think its a software issue. Mine is #14536 so we are almost related.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ricochet said:
I think its a software issue. Mine is #14536 so we are almost related.
I think you're right about it being a software problem. I noticed this morning that the DIC display lights up when you insert the key and turn it to the on position, but once you start the truck, the DIC display does not work. Removing and reinserting the key the DIC is still dark. Locking the truck, unlocking with the fob, still no joy.

After it sat at work all day, when I got in I let the DIC do the start up display, but before I started it, I cycled through the display to show the odometer, then started it. Voila, DIC display restored. Here's what I think is happening:

If I set the DIC to "no display" and shut off the truck, it places the DIC in "no display" mode. When I start the truck, it goes back to "no display" only the software glitch is that it won't allow this state to be changed, meaning nothing I do can restore the display. I have to be in that mode just after key insert, before starting, to change to another display mode. At that point, everything's fine.

So, when I got out to do some Christmas shopping, I made sure the display was on at shut down. It came back up like normal when I started the next time.

This is still not right, and I'll take her in for the fix. But at least I know how to restore the display in the mean time.

That, and the spinning center cap (I may just add the tape myself...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts