Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 SSR is experiencing problems with the DIC after removal for stepper motor repair. All displays work except the miles per empty. However the options to change settings such as exit:horn/lights, headlight delay are stuck and cannot be changed. The other and worst is the battery dies after about 3 days unless I remove the #10 DIC/Dash fuse. I have returned it to the tech that repaired the stepper motors on 2 occasions when he resoldered the circuitry that possibly could be problematic with no positive result. Discussed problem with several nation wide repair centers. All replied that they either never heard of the problem or they could not repair. Found one guy to look at it and shipped to him. He reported that he could see no problem with the unit. He hooked up the harness on his SS Trailblazer and reported everything worked. Even said there would only be a charge except for shipping. Placed the unit in the truck and still no change. Lead me to believe it was related to some other area of the vehicle. Checked firewall ground, dash plug and every ground I could find. Changed the ignition switch to genuine GM Delco. All diagnostics performed by several local garages, all reveal the dash as the problem. Of course I already know that. I pull the fuse if I don’t plan to drive and install again when I do. I am going to explore the possibility of adding a switch inside the vehicle to control the fuse block. Otherwise I can continue on as I have, or trade it in to a dealership far far away. Anyone, please help.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,657 Posts
Information for the Cluster comes from PCM. If the PC board is OK by repair shop, then look at PCM.

SSR How to Library: Look up ECM REMOVAL

PCM is 03/04 SSR, Power Control Module, ECM is 05/06 SSR Engine Control Module.

They are the computer that "runs" our SSR. They are not interchangeable.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
I helped another member diagnosis a battery drain a year or so ago. Turned out to be DIC. He was successful in repair by purchasing a already rebuilt unit on ebay. Can't remember his name or repair shop. I will do some digging, a better search engine would be an immense help.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
He had two separate threads on this. Here is the second one discussing where he got his repaired cluster.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,453 Posts
Recently I encountered a similar issue- the DIC and cluster were both inoperative and executing a parasitic drain on the battery, confirmed by checking voltage across Underhood Fuse Block Fuse#10. This started as an intermittent blackout of the gauges and lights but then became permanent. The only items displaying were the MIL light and battery light, both of which feed the cluster from different sources than the other lights and gauges. And similar to the threads referenced by Autoprof, the ultimate solution, after extensive diagnosis, was to replace the cluster.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
37,459 Posts
I had do have a new Dic installed in my cluster it would just go blank and then just start working again after having it replaced all is good. I also had to have a new mother board replaced in the cluster but that's another story . :) Actually the only thing I did not replace was the face.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Information for the Cluster comes from PCM. If the PC board is OK by repair shop, then look at PCM.

Dicktator

Dicktator

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Recently I encountered a similar issue- the DIC and cluster were both inoperative and executing a parasitic drain on the battery, confirmed by checking voltage across Underhood Fuse Block Fuse#10. This started as an intermittent blackout of the gauges and lights but then became permanent. The only items displaying were the MIL light and battery light, both of which feed the cluster from different sources than the other lights and gauges. And similar to the threads referenced by Autoprof, the ultimate solution, after extensive diagnosis, was to replace the cluster.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I am afraid of that. Replacement would be fine f I knew it was good. Not a lot of availability out there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He had two separate threads on this. Here is the second one discussing where he got his repaired cluster.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had do have a new Dic installed in my cluster it would just go blank and then just start working again after having it replaced all is good. I also had to have a new mother board replaced in the cluster but that another story . :) Actually the only thing I did not replace was the face.
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Dicktator
I should have ask if the PCM is reparable or are best replaced. Also, do you have a recommended source for replacement or repair

Dicktator

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Dicktator

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I should have ask if the PCM can be analyzed /repaired or should be replaced? In either case could you recommend sources for replacement or repair?
Also, I have additional problem with the radio and dash lights staying on after switch is turned off and door is opened. Must remove fuse and and reinsert to shut both down. Radio light stays on in this instance with the radio off. Don’t know if the two are related. My guess is no but of course they could be. Anyone know of this latest problem. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hi Okie the problem right now is most of the guys are traveling this week and going to be away from their home base for the annual SSR Rally. Check with Mike in AZ, I know he is traveling right now but might check in this evening and be able to offer some info. Hang in there will be help but it may take a little longer to get answers with so many traveling.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Sounds like drivers door module has a bad switch causing RAP (retained accessory power) to not shut off.
Try shutting off engine, remove key then see if radio and dash lights go out when you open PASSENGER door. Also I assume it's the instrument cluster lights not the DIC or warning lights that are staying on.

It the radio has a red blinking light on, that's normal. Its is indicating it's an anti theft radio. IT DOES NOT have anything to do with car alarm. That is a separate warning light.

IF I'm wrong about passenger door shutting things down, Which fuse do you remove.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts