Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sounds like drivers door module has a bad switch causing RAP (retained accessory power) to not shut off.
Try shutting off engine, remove key then see if radio and dash lights go out when you open PASSENGER door. Also I assume it's the instrument cluster lights not the DIC or warning lights that are staying on.

It the radio has a red blinking light on, that's normal. Its is indicating it's an anti theft radio. IT DOES NOT have anything to do with car alarm. That is a separate warning light.

IF I'm wrong about passenger door shutting things down, Which fuse do you remove.
Thanks for your help. I tried the passenger door and found no immediate result. However, it did work once after opening and closing the door several times. Led me to try the same tactic on the drivers door and again after several attempts the same result, it did shut down the lights. The fuse is #15 TBC 1. It must be removed and reinserted to shut down the lights.Yes, the lights remaining on are the cluster lights, radio light ,and dash switch lights.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Thanks for your help. I tried the passenger door and found no immediate result. However, it did work once after opening and closing the door several times. Led me to try the same tactic on the drivers door and again after several attempts the same result, it did shut down the lights. The fuse is #15 TBC 1. It must be removed and reinserted to shut down the lights.Yes, the lights remaining on are the cluster lights, radio light ,and dash switch lights.
I still don't think that radio continuing to play is related the previous problems with the DIC.

It should not take several tries to get everything to power down.
You mentioned that the ignition switch was replaced to try an solve the DIC problems - did radio issue start AFTER replacing switch? If so switch could be installed incorrectly!

Sorry but a couple of more questions
With Key on and engine off -- open and close each door while watching information center - Does it display "Drivers door ajar" or "passenger door ajar" as each door is open and then closed? If no - door switches both sides are suspect!
If yes the door switches are working! Suspecting body control module not going to sleep or in proper state of mind. Fuse #15 is the constant power supply to the BCM. Removing this fuse will shut down BCM. However the BCM uses current from various other power feeds to determine which module (computers) it should "wake up" and which ones it should tell to go to sleep.

With door open, key removed and radio still playing wiggle ignition switch to see if radio goes out. If yes ignition switch not properly installed if no it might still not be properly installed but not that sensitive. So continue testing
With the key removed and radio still playing try removing rear fuse box fuses #50 and then also remove #47 (to do this == start car from passenger seat - then shut off and remove key - exit passenger side leaving door open - then with radio still on - gain access to rear fuse box and remove selected fuses) -- see if radio and lights shut down. Fuse #50 is used to signal BCM that the ignition switch is in the accessory position -- time to wake up certain modules (such as the radio). Another test that would be better yet - use the power mode feature of a Tech 2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I still don't think that radio continuing to play is related the previous problems with the DIC.

You mentioned that the ignition switch was replaced to try an solve the DIC problems - did radio issue start AFTER replacing switch? If so switch could be installed incorrectly!

With Key on and engine off -- open and close each door while watching information center - Does it display "Drivers door ajar" or "passenger door ajar" as each door is open and then closed? If no - door switches both sides are suspect!
If yes the door switches are working! Suspecting body control module not going to sleep or in proper state of mind. Fuse #15 is the constant power supply to the BCM. Removing this fuse will shut down BCM. However the BCM uses current from various other power feeds to determine which module (computers) it should "wake up" and which ones it should tell to go to sleep.

With door open, key removed and radio still playing wiggle ignition switch to see if radio goes out. If yes ignition switch not properly installed if no it might still not be properly installed but not that sensitive. So continue testing
With the key removed and radio still playing try removing rear fuse box fuses #50 and then also remove #47 (to do this == start car from passenger seat - then shut off and remove key - exit passenger side leaving door open - then with radio still on - gain access to rear fuse box and remove selected fuses) -- see if radio and lights shut down. Fuse #50 is used to signal BCM that the ignition switch is in the accessory position -- time to wake up certain modules (such as the radio). Another test that would be better yet - use the power mode feature of a Tech 2 or not as accurate --

If yes suspect that ignition switch is not installed properly.
Thanks, I will try later today. The switch was replaced about 6 or 8 months ago. No problems until now. I’ll check your suggested tests just the same. Thanks again.

·
ChriSSR
26 Posts
I had the exact same issues on my 2003. Autoprof & I worked through a detailed diagnosis by using a volt meter on fuse #10. My old cluster drew about .4 amps after turning the truck off with no change over time. The replacement cluster started at the same drain but shut itself off so that current draw was zero in under a minute after turning the truck off. I also had DIC troubles that were fixed by the new cluster. I felt fortunate to get a replacement cluster off of ebay for a net of $160. The picture below shows the listing and the vendor. Might want to contact them.

This link shows a nice photo of taking a voltage reading at the fuse and the related fuse charts.
Amp draw test at fuse

Good Luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

With the key removed and radio still playing try removing rear fuse box fuses #50 and then also remove #47 (to do this == start car from passenger seat - then shut off and remove key - exit passenger side leaving door open - then with radio still on - gain access to rear fuse box and remove selected fuses) -- see if radio and lights shut down. Fuse #50 is used to signal BCM that the ignition switch is in the accessory position -- time to wake up certain modules (such as the radio). Another test that would be better yet - use the power mode feature of a Tech 2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks so much. I will give it a whirl. Sorry for the delayed reply. Vehicle is in storage, have to retrieve to try your suggestions.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,705 Posts
It's Door Latch/Lock Module. Been repairing them for years.

Close door, radio still on? Door Latch Lock Module. Window detent, then go back up? Door Latch/Lock Module.

SSR How to Library: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Look up: DOOR LATCH/LOCK MODULE

Don't make them anymore.

Water gets in, rain, car wash.

I have repaired Door Latch/Lock Modules in stock.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It's Door Latch/Lock Module. Been repairing them for years.

Close door, radio still on? Door Latch Lock Module. Window detent, then go back up? Door Latch/Lock Module.

SSR How to Library: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Look up: DOOR LATCH/LOCK MODULE

Don't make them anymore.

Water gets in, rain, car wash.

I have repaired Door Latch/Lock Modules in stock.

Dicktator
Thanks. I found on the SSR How To. I will check them out. Thanks for the reply.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts