Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Dictator's kit as preventative maintenance based on SSRfanatic's recommendations.

Had the kit for 3 months, finally decided to install it, no hurry, why rush? After all, my truck only has 23,800 miles. Much to my surprise, the neoprene bushing was already shot! It took zero effort to pull the shift cable off the linkage, the bits an pieces of the dried-out bushing hit me in the face as I effortlessly pulled the cable off the cable arm. Not good!

See here: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5&id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!759&parId=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&o=OneUp

Another thread here: http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/shift-cable-repair-52485/

If my truck with 23,800 miles has a shot bushing, then yours more-than-likely does too.

Do not wait to do this upgrade! About $15 and 30-60 minutes will save you from being stranded. Most of that time is waiting for paint to dry. :)

Anyone in SF Bay Area that does not have the means to do this upgrade please contact me via PM. I will do it for you. You must buy Dictator's kit from Dictator (PM him), or Simple Engineering Transmission Shift Lever Repair Kit. This is Dicktotor's kit carried by Mike in AZ.

·
Daily Driver
8,777 Posts
If my truck with 23,800 miles has a shot bushing, then yours more-than-likely does too.
Mileage has nothing to do with it, depends on the heat, chemicals, and TIME.
The newest bushings are over 10 years old, and the older ones are TEENAGERS. That's trouble. ;)

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Yes, shift cable is located about 3" to 4" away from 1800 degree catalytic converter.

IF you do a lot of "IN TOWN" driving, it will fail sooner than long trips, why? Long trips, cool air over shift cable.

Dicktator

Picture
1. This is what comes on ALL SSR, Trailblazer, Malibu, etc.
2. This is Stainless Repair Kit. Note how close Catalytic Converter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Heat

Yes, shift cable is located about 3" to 4" away from 1800 degree catalytic converter.

IF you do a lot of "IN TOWN" driving, it will fail sooner than long trips, why? Long trips, cool air over shift cable.

Dicktator

Picture
1. This is what comes on ALL SSR, Trailblazer, Malibu, etc.
2. This is Stainless Repair Kit. Note how close Catalytic Converter.
The heat shield is a must have in order for the abs module to last and best to do at the same time as the cable, before the solder joints melt.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Good point!!

Yes, the heat shield should be installed to prolong your ABS/EBCM.

EBCM (E-lectronic B-rake C-ontrol M-odule) PC Control Board of ABS Brake system was run through LOW temp solder during production. Then installed close to 1800 degree catalytic converter.

LOW TEMP solder will melt and lift from PC Board tabs.

YOUR ABS LIGHT WILL COME ON!!

Mike Moro aka Simple Engineering developed a "Heat Shield" using High Temp Aircraft insulation to help protect the ABS System from extreme heat.

Two bolts, no drilling, mounts into existing holes on ABS Bracket.

Under $60.00 bucks.

I have one and recommend looking into it for your SSR.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I can't understand why so many owners aren't aware of this problem and haven't made the change. Well I was one of them too and in Sep 2014 I installed my shifter kit. I haven't had a problem since. I have diagnosed two other SSRs at Cruisin' the Coast the past two years with broke shift cables. When it happens there isn't anything you can do --- the voice of experience ---
Oh by the way you're top won't go up either.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I did my shift cable repair at the last Tech day that the Dicktator held at Chuck's place in the middle of June or should I say the guys did it. As they were removing it from the cable it broke in there hands. Yes it was in my glove box since April. I already had the heat shield put on in May among a lot of other things recommended by Dicktator as necessary maintenance. Radiator support, front frame stiffener, middle frame round bar replaced with flat stiffener. All parts were purchased from Mike at Simple Engineering. I also bought the new brackets to tuck and lower the running boards so we don't hit our calves went existing. Haven't gotten to the ignition switch yet but I did buy one from Dicktator and yes it is in the glove box.

·
Daily Driver
8,777 Posts
Remember, if the kit is still on the list of gonnas, or even in the glove compartment all dusty, when the bushing fails the cable and transmission arm can be cobbled together with wire, duct tape or even a shoelace well enough to get you home. BUT, you have to be able to get under there, which leaves out us fat guys and guys with lowered trucks. Of course if you have Mike's spare tire kit, you have a jack, but you have to shove something else under there to be safe. Maybe a passing child. ;)

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Remember, if the kit is still on the list of gonnas, or even in the glove compartment all dusty, when the bushing fails the cable and transmission arm can be cobbled together with wire, duct tape or even a shoelace well enough to get you home. BUT, you have to be able to get under there, which leaves out us fat guys and guys with lowered trucks. Of course if you have Mike's spare tire kit, you have a jack, but you have to shove something else under there to be safe. Maybe a passing child. ;)
Exactly! Getting under the truck is a challenge, even if you are not rotund. :)

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Couple of Stories:

Owners remain anonymous to protect the innocent.

1. Had his R towed in from Georgia to Clearwater, cost $500.00. He called me to tell the story. I asked "What happened"?
"Shift Cable fell off". "I thought you bought one". "Did, left it on my work bench".

2. Call from Ohio, Florida Fanatic, "It's raining and my shift cable fell off". I said "I thought you bought one". "In my glove box".
Towed to Dealer, they did not have NEW cable but they were handed Dicktator's Shift Cable Repair Kit. They said "That will work".

Many more stories.

Dicktator

·
Registered
206 Posts
Does a new cable come with the bushing from the factory? I was told yesterday from the dealer that they had to order a bushing on top of the cable that was in stock. P.S. I have just talked to Dicktator and have one of his bushings in the mail to make a permanent fix.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Does a new cable come with the bushing from the factory? I was told yesterday from the dealer that they had to order a bushing on top of the cable that was in stock. P.S. I have just talked to Dicktator and have one of his bushings in the mail to make a permanent fix.
Yes, there is a similar "bushing" on the Shifter, automatic of course.

I have only seen one go bad.

Cable goes under floor carpet, drivers side, clamp, thru floor to transmission shift arm.

Picture in front of shift arm, down, white plastic "bushing" with rubber boot.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I'm new to the Forum. I have a 2003 red SSR and I cannot open or close the roof IAW the manual. I should have checked this out more when I bought the vehicle. I cannot close the roof at all. The roof cover is broken (1 side) and will not set properly. Everytime I drive the SSR it goes BONGBONGBONG. I need to get this fixed but need to find someone in the Central Florida area who knows how to fix SSRs. At a car show I heard that Dictator knows the cars and is one of the very best. Is there any way to contact him or a reliable person who can help. Thx!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I'm new to the Forum. I have a 2003 red SSR and I cannot open or close the roof IAW the manual. I should have checked this out more when I bought the vehicle. I cannot close the roof at all. The roof cover is broken (1 side) and will not set properly. Everytime I drive the SSR it goes BONGBONGBONG. I need to get this fixed but need to find someone in the Central Florida area who knows how to fix SSRs. At a car show I heard that Dictator knows the cars and is one of the very best. Is there any way to contact him or a reliable person who can help. Thx!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts