Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 that is working fine, however, I have read that we should carry a spare ignition switch as this was one of the things that go bad on the SSR. I'm wondering if the 2006 model SSR's fixed this problem or if that continues to be an issue with this year too?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,381 Posts
I have a 2006 that is working fine, however, I have read that we should carry a spare ignition switch as this was one of the things that go bad on the SSR. I'm wondering if the 2006 model SSR's fixed this problem or if that continues to be an issue with this year too?
The ignition switch problem has occurred in 2006MY trucks. Carrying a spare is cheap insurance.

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Georgesee, handy household tip #11. Get a spare switch, and swap the old one out on a pleasant day with the Sun shining, birds singing and maybe a couple cold ones near by.

That way if you ever have to change it at 3 AM, by the light of a Zippo, in a raging blizzard/thunder storm, with your passenger browbeating you unmercifully, You'll know what to do and be able to much of it by feel. ;)

I did it on the aforementioned sunny afternoon and still got it one tooth off.

·
Super Moderator
13,930 Posts
xoxo & I often think differently, but Bruce is very intelligent - and I certainly don't disagree with his opinion - just different mindsets I guess

A few years back, I had a window regulator that wasn't working properly.
My first instinct was the ignition switch
Our good friend Fuji advised me to give the regulator a whack with the hammer.
I thought that was nuts, so after taking the console apart and changing the ignition switch to no avail I gave the regulator a whack - worked just fine ever since! HaHa!

I decided to re-install my old switch and keep the new one on hand.
12 years old and the switch is fine

Just a question of how you want to approach it, but for sure, have a spare switch on hand, the tools to swap it, and a printed copy of Dictators "How to" instructions
If it calfs, hopefully you will be alone at the time! HaHa!

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,638 Posts
I change battery, ignition switch, battery Neg cable every 4/5 years whether I need to or not.

Why? I don't like to have problems on the road, kinda like Bruce, rather change when/ where I want to.

Because! EVERYTHING goes thru ignition switch and if you remember the "points" in old distributors, then you know that 5, count them, 5 sets of "points" in the ignition switch look like. They get "burnt" and don't make clean/good connection, ignition switch MUST see 9 Volts for everything to work properly and because we have Multiplex wiring class2, Ground completes the circuit.

Ignition switch sends signal to ECM in millivolts/milliamps, points not making good connection sends wrong signal, now you have problem.

Multiplex wiring send more than one signal in same wire!

This is just what I do, only have 133,000 miles, been to Canada twice.

Dicktator

Picture
4. Neg Bat Cable
5. Neg Bat Cable on Body, glowing from bad connection, Burned out switch, Roof Door Module.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone for the advice. I'll go ahead and purchase a new switch and change out the old one to keep for a spare. I am so glad this forum exists and comes to the aid of newbie SSR owners!

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Keeping the original for a spare is a smart move, and if you never need it you can use it to prod the bids at Barrett Jackson in 50 years. ;)

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
New Switch

It is not uncommon to find that NEW electrical parts are bad right out the box. :crying: Install the new switch and keep the old one ( that was working) as the spare. That way if the new one is bad it is still under warrantee. :wink2: Just my $0.02 worth of advice / experience.:grin2:

"Long may you ALL run"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts