Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought one of the painted rear spoilers from Ebay. Nice item. But I just couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the bed cover. After hearing from some of you about options, I took a trip to one of my local dealer body shops. I talked to manager about different mounting ideas. He looked at the spoiler and the deck lid and said adhesive tape is the way to go. He gave me a roll of 3M attachment tape, part number 06383, and said go do it! I got back home. Measured twice and stuck once. Boom! Done! And it ain't goin' nowhere! Solid as a rock. And no drilling or holes! I'm very pleased and would recommend this concept to anyone thinking about adding a spoiler. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
Solid as a rock. And no drilling or holes! I'm very pleased and would recommend this concept to anyone thinking about adding a spoiler. Good luck.
Fingers crossed for you wizzr...I sure like the idea of NO HOLES; but it's too late for me since I already drilled mine.
Would be nice to hear an update after several washings and multiple high speed cruises. :smile2:

Just remember, you are driving a Silver--fastest of all colors built in 04!!! :silver::grin2:
Check your six before you get on it; bad enough if it rips off, even worse if it rips off and hits a vehicle behind you!! :surprise:

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,409 Posts
Lookin' good wizzr!! - :smile2:

images-5.jpeg

Is this spoiler one of the ones sold on Ebay? Thanks for the numbers on the tape, too. Have you checked strength during any "spirited driving"?? - >:)

Looks great!!

================
David :black:
images-10.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
So I bought one of the painted rear spoilers from Ebay. Nice item. But I just couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the bed cover. After hearing from some of you about options, I took a trip to one of my local dealer body shops. I talked to manager about different mounting ideas. He looked at the spoiler and the deck lid and said adhesive tape is the way to go. He gave me a roll of 3M attachment tape, part number 06383, and said go do it! I got back home. Measured twice and stuck once. Boom! Done! And it ain't goin' nowhere! Solid as a rock. And no drilling or holes! I'm very pleased and would recommend this concept to anyone thinking about adding a spoiler. Good luck.
:|
OK, not wanting to drill holes, suggests you might decide later you want to (not) run with a rear spoiler.......meaning holes would have to be filled, painted.........which you wouldn't have to do given the way you mounted it.

But, how do you now remove it if you so chose to do so???????????:surprise:

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
/forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_plain.png
OK, not wanting to drill holes, suggests you might decide later you want to (not) run with a rear spoiler.......meaning holes would have to be filled, painted.........which you wouldn't have to do given the way you mounted it.

But, how do you now remove it if you so chose to do so???????????/forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png
Lots of GOOF OFF.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CruDawg, got a big road trip this weekend. Heading from Abq. to Grand Lake in Oklahoma. About a 700 venture each way. But honestly, with that adhesive tape, I don't think that spoiler is going anywhere. The body shop mgr told me they use this stuff to mount spoilers all the time. The key, he said, is a super, squeekie clean surface to start with. He also gave me some special cleaning wipes to accomplish that. All that said, thanks for the finger crossing. News at 11, as they say.

David, yes, got the spoiler on ebay. And so far, it stays put at about 80 mph.

Moscotter, Removal, should I choose to at some point, can be done in the same fashion as removing an emblem. Get out the fishing line and start sawing away between the bed cover and the spoiler base.

The adhesive tape is the same, I think, as was on my rock guards when I removed them. And HOLY SMOKES, they were a night mare to get off.

I'm hopeful this thing is on there for a loooong time. I'll keep ya'll posted.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
:|

But, how do you now remove it if you so chose to do so???????????:surprise:
3M automotive mounting tape is the best stuff out there. The spoiler will not come off if the prep was done per 3M directions.
Removal is tediously done with heat gun or hairdryer and dental floss or fishing line, remove remaining adhesive with 3M adhesive remover or Goo gone.

Reactions: CruDawg

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,491 Posts
Nice how the edge of the mounting tabs seem to line up exactly with the stripes!!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
When I took my Rock guards off I sprayed top edge with GOOF OFF and let it soak a couple of hours. Than pulled away while using plastic putty knife. Repeated until completely off. Time and patience. That spoiler doesn't have a lot of flat surface where wind will be hitting it directly. Tape should hold a long time. ( Never say Never).

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
When I took my Rock guards off I sprayed top edge with GOOF OFF and let it soak a couple of hours. Than pulled away while using plastic putty knife. Repeated until completely off. Time and patience. That spoiler doesn't have a lot of flat surface where wind will be hitting it directly. Tape should hold a long time. ( Never say Never).
I would not use goof off on a car finish. It has petroleum solvents that "could" damage the finish. Goof Off is made for removing Latex Paint and is a pretty aggressive solvent.
Use 3M adhesive remover or Goo Gone which is a citrus based solvent and safe for clear coat finishes.
Greg

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just finished a 1500 mile trip. Average speed, 80 mph. Spoiler is rock solid. I'm sold on the 3M mounting tape.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts