Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone besides me have a problem when fueling. Specifically with the auto shut-off pump handles? I can barely get a flow going and the dispenser clicks off like it was full. Takes forever to put a half tank of gas in. I'm in California, so the dispensers also incorporate a very sensitive vapor recover system which is part of the problem. If anyone else is having this problem and has addressed it successfully, please let me know what you did.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,644 Posts
Does anyone besides me have a problem when fueling. Specifically with the auto shut-off pump handles? I can barely get a flow going and the dispenser clicks off like it was full. Takes forever to put a half tank of gas in. I'm in California, so the dispensers also incorporate a very sensitive vapor recover system which is part of the problem. If anyone else is having this problem and has addressed it successfully, please let me know what you did.
I hasd that problem but only at Costco and it corrected itself when they changed their nozzles. Have you tried other stations?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've tried other stations and the problem is there to one degree or another--the worst is at Sam's (of course). Maybe it's the price you pay for the price you don't???

·
Premium Member
2006 Redline FPR 6 Speed
1,033 Posts
I have this problem at the primary station where I buy non-ethanol gas. Figured out if the gas nozzle is turned and held sideways, counterclockwise 1/4 turn, handle trigger facing 3 o'clock, it fills ok. Fill-ups while travelling seem to work fine. Has to be an issue with the pump nozzle. Strange.....

·
Registered
545 Posts
Here’s the list of what to do when filling-up is a problem

1. Grease the Gas Cap Lid to get a better seal. It worked for me for awhile.
2. Change the Gas Cap, you may or may not see a difference.
3. Install a new Vent Valve.
4. Install a new Purge Valve.
5. No, get a Smoke Test.
6. Install a new EVAP Charcoal Canister.
7. Install a new EVAP Fuel Feeder line.
8. Not yet? A new Gas Tank may be in order after reading about the recalls and re-designs on the Gas Tank mainly because of the baffles. There is a recall letter where Chevy will replace this as noted by other members.
9. Install a new Fuel Filler Line at the back of the Gas Tank. Mine crumbled from age when we dropped the tank.
10. Check the Fuel Pump while the tank in out. There are Technical Bulletins related to the fuel-sending unit on the Fuel Pump. If your mileage is up there, then it may be a good idea.

The message was “Tighten Fuel Cap”. The computer will shut this message off somewhere between a quarter and three-quarter tank of gas.
You will most likely get the “Check Engine” Light at some point.

This is everything that I had to do to correct the problem over time with many trips to the shop. Yes, it was expensive.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,780 Posts
kensunnymc, If you saw the size (crazy small) and twist and turns the filler hose makes to the tank, you would understand!? maybe!?-- Like mentioned earlier, rotate the nozzle to different positions, tip of the nozzle pointing to the center of the rear tire, don't insert the nozzle fully, don't pull the trigger completely up, as in less amount of fuel running into the tank so it won't back up imitating a full tank. Hopefully you'll find a sweet spot!

Nick

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,644 Posts
Here’s the list of what to do when filling-up is a problem

1. Grease the Gas Cap Lid to get a better seal. It worked for me for awhile.
2. Change the Gas Cap, you may or may not see a difference.
3. Install a new Vent Valve.
4. Install a new Purge Valve.
5. No, get a Smoke Test.
6. Install a new EVAP Charcoal Canister.
7. Install a new EVAP Fuel Feeder line.
8. Not yet? A new Gas Tank may be in order after reading about the recalls and re-designs on the Gas Tank mainly because of the baffles. There is a recall letter where Chevy will replace this as noted by other members.
9. Install a new Fuel Filler Line at the back of the Gas Tank. Mine crumbled from age when we dropped the tank.
10. Check the Fuel Pump while the tank in out. There are Technical Bulletins related to the fuel-sending unit on the Fuel Pump. If your mileage is up there, then it may be a good idea.

The message was “Tighten Fuel Cap”. The computer will shut this message off somewhere between a quarter and three-quarter tank of gas.
You will most likely get the “Check Engine” Light at some point.

This is everything that I had to do to correct the problem over time with many trips to the shop. Yes, it was expensive.
The way I read it the Items 1-4 are not applicable to the original question because the cap is off when the problem is occurring.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,292 Posts
Common problem with MANY GM vehicles. Has been discussed here a number of times if you do a search. Most likely the vent solenoid valve down on the rear of fuel tank is/going bad due to dirt intrusion. Easy to replace. See the link below and my post at #14 of that thread for a list w/some p/n and price info.

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/could-not-add-fuel-159802/

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,189 Posts
I would agree with blue streak on items 1,2 and 4.

The vent valve (#3) and possibly the charcoal canister (#6) are suspect if refueling options discussed do not help the situation. The vent valve is normally open and allows fuel vapors to vent thru the charcoal canister to prevent fuel vapors from building pressure in the tank and at the same time the charcoal holds onto the hydrocarbon vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. A restriction in either one of these could build pressure in the tank, thus shutting of refuel nozzle.

Additionally #8 the fuel tank recall/campaign that I am aware of will allow fuel vapors and possibly liquid fuel to escape. This may also cause a check engine light and an EVAP leak code. It would not cause excessive pressure to build in the tank causing the nozzle to shut off too easily.

Bad fill nozzles at the pump or restriction in THEIR vapor recovery system can also cause this. This might be more noticeable if more cars are refueling at same time.

Sorry for long post, teacher side of me took over. Best of luck let us know what you find.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
WOW This has happened to me several times in the past also. Like RG I finally figured out that if I faced North, lifted the pump handle on a 40 degree angle, then only inserting it 5 8th of the way it filled with no trouble.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
kensunnymc, If you saw the size (crazy small) and twist and turns the filler hose makes to the tank, you would understand!? maybe!?-- Like mentioned earlier, rotate the nozzle to different positions, tip of the nozzle pointing to the center of the rear tire, don't insert the nozzle fully, don't pull the trigger completely up, as in less amount of fuel running into the tank so it won't back up imitating a full tank. Hopefully you'll find a sweet spot!

Nick
This.

:yellow:
Willie

·
My First Permagrin !
571 Posts
So like river_rat, I changed out the vent solenoid it was full of dust , for $30 and 10 minutes work it was worth the try .
That being said I still have to pump gas slowly or it will pop off . Very annoying sometimes .
It's better since putting the solenoid in , now it will fill on first click without holding it .
Good luck . Dave

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Fueling Problems

I do a partial insert on nozzle 3/4 flow & at the 2 or 3 o'clock position..:nerd:

depending on gas station, sometimes can do partial input of nozzle, no 3 o'clock....??

:purple::sunce::cool:shades:

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone that responded. Some of the things I've already tried and I think perhaps River--Rat's solution is one to do whether or not it cures the problem. If I come up with anything innovative, I'll post it here. Ken

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I find I have to compress the overflow shroud into the filler neck and hold the nozzle straight on the axis of the filler neck. That seems to work without a hitch. I can’t put the handle latch and walk away.
B

1 - 15 of 15 Posts