Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just received and installed my Digital compass. This is the unit a member mentioned in past notes. I purchased it from Herringtoncatalog.com for $69.95 plus $11.95 shipping. It's the model M669 compass and temperature unit. I received it in three days ordering it on-line. The finish matches the metal finish of the dash perfect. It was easy to install and calibrate and seems to be very accurate.

Attachments

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I saw that exact same one in JCW catalog, Sorry to say Fred, it was 59.99. It looks great in your truck. and the silver is great. It looks like you suction cupped it to the floor console, is it holding o well when you hit bumps?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wildcat66,

There is always someplace to buy it cheaper and there is always someone to mention it. I avoid saying what I paid for my SSR because I'm sure someone will tell me I paid too much. As for the suction cups, time will tell? If they don't hold, I'll make something for under the dash. No holes that will show, won't do anything to ruin the SSR.

·
Registered
54 Posts
outside temp

What did you have to do for the outside temp - i.e. does it have a thermocouple (so you have to run thermocouple wire) or? For that matter, where did you mount the sensor?

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I wasn't trying to make you feel bad, but everyone is looking for a bargain. Just FYI for others. I wouldn't want to put holes in my SSR either, thats why I was asking if the suction cups were holding up. Didn't mean to rattle your cage:) ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kew|Ride,

Temperature sensor has long wire to reach about anywhere. I ran the sensor to the driver door jam as recomended, sensor has adhesive backing and the unit came with (4) adhesive wire runs. Seems to be accurate in this location.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Your compass

Fred Edick said:
Just received and installed my Digital compass. This is the unit a member mentioned in past notes. I purchased it from Herringtoncatalog.com for $69.95 plus $11.95 shipping. It's the model M669 compass and temperature unit. I received it in three days ordering it on-line. The finish matches the metal finish of the dash perfect. It was easy to install and calibrate and seems to be very accurate.
Besides the compass what other readout does it have? :flag

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nomadkenn,

Three displays dealing with direction, a circle with pointer, actual letters displaying direction, and a degree indication 0-360. Also there is a bearing feature to keep you on course. The temperature feature is for inside the truck or outside, not both. Also the unit will shut down after ten minutes if there is no direction change detected and a back light that will turn on automatically. I'm not trying to sell this unit, I was like many others who felt this feature should have came with the SSR and wanted it, less buying a factory mirror for $500.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Fred Edick said:
wildcat66,

There is always someplace to buy it cheaper and there is always someone to mention it. I avoid saying what I paid for my SSR because I'm sure someone will tell me I paid too much. As for the suction cups, time will tell? If they don't hold, I'll make something for under the dash. No holes that will show, won't do anything to ruin the SSR.
Me too on the car price - Let's just say it's the biggest impulse buy I've ever made - just went to see if I fit in it.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Just bought it, Fred - might contact you when I get it. I couldn't readily tell if the JCW unit also had inside/outside temp along with the compass - so went with the one you got.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Fred:

Thanks for the input. I just looked online at JCW but I cannot find one that is just like yours. They do have a really nice one, with more features BUT it is $129.99! I just do not see anything at the $59.99 with your features. Looks good!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I can not find it. Help please.

·
Registered
705 Posts
ah, found it. Its model m699 not m669 and Herrington does not have it at this time (out of stock). The 698 model is more expensive and has a bunch of other functons. That one is out of stock also.

This unit seems to be made by PNI corp. Am I right? If it is PNI V2000 you can also find it at amazon for $80 (free shipping). It gets mixed reviews as far as how well it works. Read the reviews at Amazon before ordering ( at the bottom of the page):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...69838-7891058?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Redssrloaded,

Sorry if I transposed the model number. PMI is the manufacturer and that is their model number for this unit. I saw PMI.com written on the box, but I haven't tried it, don't want to know if they are selling it for even less than some of the prices members are mentioning.

·
Registered
705 Posts
no the price you got seems like the going rate. Amazon is selling it for $10 more but no shipping charge.
Please let us know what you think of the thing once you use it for a while. The Amazon people seem to have mixed reviews.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Door jamb

Fred Edick said:
Kew|Ride,

Temperature sensor has long wire to reach about anywhere. I ran the sensor to the driver door jam as recomended, sensor has adhesive backing and the unit came with (4) adhesive wire runs. Seems to be accurate in this location.
Fred - just got mine delivered last night. Could you be a little more specific about how you got to the door jamb and where on the door jamb diid you place it? I'm a little concerned about the sensor picking up heat absorbed from my black paintjob.

Thanks

John Auth (Houtex) :thumbs

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
John,

I ran the wire over to the passenger door jam in line with the panel and stuffed most of the wire down behind this panel. My SSR is also black and as I'm driving around and spot temperature displays I'm finding I'm varying by several degrees in both directions. Too soon to say which is correct, but I think some error might be location, but this wouldn't explain being off plus and minus? If I solve the issue I'll write you direct and if you have a good answer I'm listening.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts